Originally Posted By: Joe V
Hi all,

I have collected various studio items over the last few decades - played around with each for a short time - never got all to work together from my computer.

My central rig will be a Presonus Firepod connected to my PC, with BB/RB as the main DAW. In addtion I

I have a few questions I thought you might help me with:

1.) I have a few different effects boxes - most have only MIDI IN and MIDI OUT, one has a THRU also, and one only a MIDI IN. Having never used MIDI cables to connect and centrally control all devices:

a.) Do I simply go from my Presonus Out to a first IN, then OUT to IN - until the last box with the IN only ? Is it worth buying a central MIDI interface box to simplify connections.

b.) With what software and from where would I want to control my Effects boxes and program changes ?
- Can it all be done from BB/RB ? Is there even a reason to do this ?
- Are MIDI messages to effects boxes mainly for toggling effects for different songs and different parts of songs ?
- Are there other practical uses - or am I studying connectivity for no practical reason
- Is there recommended software/hardware for controlling mulitple effects processors and synths during live performance ?

2.) I have about 4 boxes that accept USB connections to my computer.

a.) Can I use a powered USB hub to control all 4 - or would that lower throughput so that each should be directly connected to the computer

3.) Where to install BB/RB vs. DAW software vs. Digital Synthesizers - should all 3 be on separate disk drives, or is it OK if BB/RB and Digital Synths are on the same drive ?

4.) Any other gotchas or advice when connecting so many devices to your computer ?

Feel free to answer one or as many points as you like - and as always, thanks to all of you who generously share your experience.

First bit of advice....

1. Keep it as simple as possible
2. Take your time and do one thing at a time.
3. refer back to #1 as often as necessary.

I used to have a bunch of outboard devices and a number of rack mountable gizmo's too. Many are midi controllable.

HOWEVER.....

I'd remove them all and try it this way....

First.... Buy Cakewalk's Music Creator software.... it's a little brother to Sonar but totally an amazingly capable DAW that is full featured. RB is good, I love it but it does have it's limitations. For $20 you can download MC7 from the Cakewalk store or you can also opt to buy it from PG.

Now.... work totally inside the box. Audio and Midi go into the Presonus interface and audio comes out to your monitor speakers. All effects and other things like the softsynths are totally inside the software. Any effect you want is available in MC7's rack....delay, reverbs, chorus, flanging, EQ, compression, and more.... all in the box and all sound good. In addition, you have more audio and midi tracks than you will ever use.

My studio has no outboard effects devices, no mixer, and only the one interface..... All guitars and mics go into the interface as audio, my midi keyboard goes in as midi (just one cable...out from the DX-27s into the interface) and speakers out of the interface. 100% of my recording is done this way. My Cakewalk Sonar DAW software runs the studio. PG software is used to make the audio tracks for the instruments I do not play live.

I like working with a simple studio setup like this.

Or... you can make it as complicated as you want by running patch cords and using midi this and midi that and setting everything up in software to control the midi..... and you will at some point, probably regret doing it that way.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.