I can understand what you are saying, Matcham. I definitely hear a mismatch at times (all the time) when I change instruments just for vocal tracking; singing too softly, or too harshly. But, my hearing is crud-o-la, so I gotta have a crutch or take up jelly-making.

Oboe. Wow... I never would have thought. Great suggestion. I will definitely try that out. Thanks, JFord and Tobias!

And, thank you for the full description, Tobias. You sorta lost me right after dummy, but the reverb in the headphones may be something I can rig up. Often, I feel like the more clearly I hear my voice in the cans, the more I try to steer it, know what I'm saying? In real life I don't, but I do expect a little better for recording purposes. Maybe the reverb takes enough out of it that I could feel "real", like in the moment.

Herb, you are a pro. You don't count. You could whistle thru your toes and stay in key. Kidding aside, thank you for that. That's what I'm doing now, and it has proven to be the best set up so far; bass, a simple drum, more passion than a metronome but not all Keith Moon, and keys, sparse as reasonable to hear the melody but not walk all over my hearing.

You guys are the best. Thank you, Marty, for starting this thread so I could hijack it. You are the best, too!

Andy

BIAB 2017 Ultra
Windows 8 and 10
Scarlet 18i8
Reaper and Mixpad