What's better than a RealDrummer? How about two RealDrummers ... or even three. Each playing the same style at the same tempo. Here's a trick I often use to add more dynamics to rhythmic patterns using, in this case, one RealDrum track (of the Jazz Funk Movin'/Groovin' variety). Make a copy of your RealDrum track, located one track down but otherwise aligned with the original in the track above.

The trick: Slide or shift the second track to the right a certain number of beats. Trial and error, the way various test runs sound, rhythmic intuition, etc. are the most natural methods for shifting the second track. There are mathematical methods to make this determination. You'll be amazed when you hit that "sweet spot" and new rhythmic excitement and complexity jump out at you.

This original composition uses the method to create a multi-directional drum track that deliberately makes it hard to find "one" but still drives the tune forward. I like to do harmonically complex tunes that are out of the range of BIAB's instrumental tracks. So I wind up playing all the (real) instruments except the drums, at which point RealDrums become indispensable. There is an interesting back story, found on the destination page, to the title

[Link no longer valid]

Last edited by Andrew - PG Music; 08/26/20 08:34 AM.