Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
What a great subject! And a BIG "thank you" for explaining the technique, showing it's workings and posting lyrics for example. Just awesome!

Quote:
Just one direction, beginning to end

I'm not sure why, but this line REALLY hits me. It's really a wake up call. Fantastic writing IMO. I mean, I understand it fits into the rhyme scheme and everything, but the power of this lyric is incredible! It makes you think.

Quote:
CHORUS
This road is the journey that I’ve been given
So I keep on walking from day to day
Where I’m going, I don’t know
And though I’m in destiny’s hands
On this road, I plan to travel as far as I can

Ok, I will admit I'm a lyric freak. It's a strange addiction really.

One of my favorite things to do in arranging and writing is to set an expectation; then frustrate it momentarily...but then of course meet it for resolution.

Close to that would be meeting the expectation then adding a surprise. PLEASE don't take this as a critique. It's not that. I'm just curious YOUR thoughts on this, because I truly value them!

Right now your end rhyme scheme is hands/can.

I do also see the know/though. (Which I really like as well)

What are your thoughts on...

This road is the journey that I’ve been given
So I keep on walking from day to day
Where I’m going, I don’t know
And though I’m in destiny’s hands
On this road, I plan to travel as far as I can (delayed) go

It's still keeping with the hands/can but, when not expecting it tying in a know/go for additional effect. Too much? Did it bring it to "nursery rhyme?"

I understand your melodic phrasing of know/though would have so much to do with how it all played out.

Like I said, not better or anything, just curious. I think I'm that way by nature. If anything, this would be a critique on MY thinking process. lol

Thanks for any input. As I think about it, if you would rather this be a private conversation, I will gladly remove the post. I don't want to derail your intent of the post.

Speaking of that. Thank you so much for the work you do in dissecting and explaining lyrics, music, arranging...all of it. There are very few people who are willing to take the time to open people up to a world of creativity and method like you are. Your gifts to the forum are greatly appreciated. I learn some things and am reminded of others.

Thanks Noel!

Caaron,

Ever since reading the above, I've been pondering your comments and mapping out a response. You've given me a lot of food for thought and I really appreciate that.

Back in touch soon....

Noel

P.S. I've become a lyric freak too! and I love it smile

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024