Hello all.

Been a long time since I posted on this forum- roughly 7 years, I think. I recognise a few names though, rockstar_not, jford, Noel96, and some others. I've been gone a long while 'cause I got involved with motorcycling again, joined the forum for my model bike (a Harley Davidson XR1200) and couldn't make time to follow too many forums on the net. I had to rejoin as Shackman01, as I couldn't make my old username of Shackman work and couldn't remember the old password anyhow. But hey, I'm 61. I've reached that age when forgetfulness is a given.

Now I'm back because my recording system is giving me issues I can't solve myself. However, be advised everything is kinda old. The PC is a 13 year old AMD Athlon 2.2 Ghz running Windows XP SP3. I use a Delta 1010LT sound card. I have Powertracks 9 and Powertracks 12 on the PC. I record audio through some nice Rode mics (Australian, like me!) into a little Yamaha MG 10/2 mixer and thence to the Delta card. I play out from the card to a home Hi Fi set up, a Kenwood integrated amp and a pair of Tannoy Reveal passive monitors.

I know this setup sounds ancient and probably is compared to the Ferrari gear many of you guys have, but it (mostly) works and my approach is, if it's working, why fix it?

I have no problems with playing out sound from stuff I've recorded in PT 12. Everything works as it usually did. Specifically, the VU output meters within PT 12 show levels appropriately and the overall sound is sweet as ever. My problem is getting input levels. What happens is: I sing or play into the mics as normal in attempting to record. The Yamaha mixer's VU meters show plenty of level, the "Rec Out" RCA's conduct signal to the card and presumably the card tries to forward digital data in to PT 12. However, no level shows on the input VU meters, and nothing is recorded.

I have gone closely through all the audio settings within both PT 12 in the tracks window. All appears normal. I similarly went through the settings in the display controlling the Delta card. All appears normal there too, plenty of input level seen in the Delta's VU meters, and as I said, audio output is played normally.

Now- something is being conducted through the program (I think) because I can hear my check "peak" levels (tapping on the mic screen) coming out through the Tannoy speakers and thus being sent to the Kenwood amp. Not sure if this is bleed within the card, as it is quite loud, or what.

I tried re installing PT 9 via the CD ROM. It re installed, but no change in performance. I attempted to re install PT 12 twice but each time it led to a PC crash- yes, I got the blue screen of death with a message from the BIOS advising me I was treading on thin ice and best to seek qualified tech assist.

I vaugely remember something about "arming" a track when recording in Powertracks. Am I mis remembering or is this required and am I neglecting to do so? I have definitely ensured I have a green tick , not a red cross, at the track I'm trying to record on. Is track arming done in another window? I have a PT 8 manual but can't see anything to this effect.

Sorry to be harassing you guys about details on an old program and hope you can excercise your memory cells and powers of deductive logic to assist an old fart like me. You see, bikes or not I continue to work up songs and have 3 or 4 stored in my own memory cells which are threatening to bust loose and go feral if I don't get them recorded.

Hope you can assist and I'm happy to answer any and all questions you may have as we try to clarify the issue.

Cheers,

John