I'm experimenting with separating the soundstage by using different reverbs on the different areas of the soundstage.

The wetter the verb the further back
The less pre-delay the further back
The more decay the further back

If these are true (and I think I got it right) Then how can I create separation of the soundstage through depth with reverb?

My current experiment is to send all my panned instruments to one bus and all my slightly panned and middle instruments to another bus (not including bass and drums).

I like a bit of spring-like verb on guitars and because I usually have electric guitars panned, I’m sending a short decay spring-like verb to the panned bus (I may add a channel tool and subtract a few decibels from the middle for more separation). I’ll leave it wet to taste and a very short pre-delay or none at all.

Then I’ll send a more traditional room or hall to the middle instrument buss. Wet, decay and usually no pre-delay.

I treat the Vox to its own verb bus. Generous pre-delay then decay, and wet/dry to taste.

And I send a plate verb to the drums for some crackle in the cymbals and snare.

I may experiment sending two verbs to one bus group.

I will then solo the reverb buses and use subtractive eq on each verb to do what I can to diminish frequency crossover.

Keep in mind it’s all a work in progress!!! Happy mixing!