I love both instrumentals and songs with a heavy focus on lyrics. I don't think I would ever personally choose one over the other. I think I have just as many instrumentals in my musical library as I do songs with lyrics.

For me, I find that instrumentals are just as inspiring as as songs with lyrics, but the big difference with instrumentals is that you can let your mind wander and explore the music and see what kind of imagery springs forth from it (I use instrumentals as inspiration when I do abstract paintings). I also use instrumentals as a mood adjuster.

Some of my favourite instrumentals are by Hungry Ghosts, but I also really enjoy Beyond This Moment by Patrick O'hearn. I actually put it on loop, personally. I find it really helps me to relax and helps soothe me after a long day when I can't sleep. Almost like an adult lullaby, I suppose!

But I love, love, love lyrics. You can definitely find your own meaning in lyrics as well for sure and can connect with lyrics in a way that makes you feel like someone else out there gets you, but there is usually a very specific idea or inspiration or meaning behind the lyrics that the original writer had intended. I am sure that this is also the case with some instrumentals, but I feel like there is a bit more room with an instrumental song for the self-insertion of the listener.

That's just my two cents on the subject of instrumental versus a song with lyrics, though!

Last edited by Ember - PG Music; 03/08/18 07:50 AM.

Cheers,
Ember