There have been requests, mine included, for ReWire functionality in PG Music products. I thought there might be more support for this if more people knew exactly what ReWire is and does. The following is from the Propellerhead website.

Quote:

What is ReWire?
ReWire is a system for transferring audio data between two computer applications, in real time. Basically, you could view ReWire as an "invisible cable" that streams audio from one computer program into another.

ReWire was developed by Propellerhead Software AB in 1998 and first appeared in Propellerheads' ReBirth RB-338 and Steinberg Soft- & Hardware's Cubase VST, allowing the two programs to communicate in a way that hadn't been possible before. Since then, a version 2 of ReWire has been released, with several significant improvements and additions. Today, a number of software applications from different manufacturers support ReWire.

So, what can ReWire do?

ReWire has the following features:

-Real-time streaming of up to 256 individual audio channels (up to 64 with ReWire 1) from one application to another.
-Real-time streaming of up to 4080 individual MIDI channels from one application to another (255 MIDI buses with 16 channel per bus). This feature requires ReWire 2.
-High-precision synchronization - complete, glitch-free sync between the two applications, with no settings to make and no parameters to worry about.
-Common transport functions - if both applications have built-in sequencers of some sort, you can play, stop, rewind etc. in any of the applications and they will both locate to the same position.
-Additional querying - one application can "ask" the other about audio channel names, etc. This feature requires ReWire 2.

How do you use ReWire?

To start with, you need two programs that support ReWire. One of these programs is the "synth application" (the application generating audio) and the other is the "mixer application" (the application to which you want to stream the audio). Typically, the synth application could be a stand-alone software synthesizer such as Propellerhead Software's Reason, while the mixer application could be a hard disk recording program, audio sequencer, digital audio workstation, etc.

After you have activated ReWire in the mixer application and launched the synth application (in that order), the following happens:

All audio from the synth application will appear in the mixer application. This means you can use the mixer application to adjust levels, add EQ and effects, etc. For example, if your synth application is Reason, you can have the sound from the different Reason devices appear on separate mixer channels in the mixer application, where you can freely mix and route them.

You can route MIDI from the mixer application to the synth application (requires that both applications support ReWire 2). This means you can have any sequencer track etc. in the mixer application play a sound source in the synth application - in effect, you can control everything from the mixer application.

If both applications have built-in sequencers, transport will automatically be linked - start playback in one application and the other follows automatically and instantly, in perfect synchronization.

Sounds great! How do I get it?

You don't download or purchase ReWire - it's not a separate product. If a program supports it, ReWire is a part of that program and is automatically installed when you install the program . . .

I'm a software developer - can I include ReWire in my programs?

Yes, ReWire is a free piece of technology. Propellerhead Software will issue licenses to companies in the audio or music industry interested in creating commercial ReWire applications, free of charge.

Also, according the the Reason 3 manual, two programs linked through ReWire consume less resources than running the two programs without ReWire. For more information, go to www.propellerhead.se and click "Company".

So as far as I can see, it's all benefits, and no cost to anyone. Propellerhead even assumes responsibility for tech support once ReWire is in place. Hey, PG--why not incorporate this into your stuff?

Richard

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."