G'day Michael,
Quote:

M$ latest ribbon look is a definite shock for a lot of people, but it goes to show how much M$ is willing to "re-invent" all its products UI.
PG and teams can research and pick the best UI for future BB releases, and move away from its Atari origin to today's Duo/Quad-core era.

BB can benefit from UI methods like "sliding accordian" to hide/display icons, both sideways and vertically.
e.g. to cater for different users' roles, look at how Spybot S&D implement the left sidebar in a vertical hide/display UI.

I hope other users can also join in and give useful specific examples of UI that could work in BB.

It's not so much a "shock" as the need to relearn products people have been using effectively for over a decade. I have customers who can't find anything in that ribbon. They just want to work, not play with what to them seems to simply be a new toy.

IMHO m$'s real angle here is - new look = increased sales 'cos people need to have "the latest and greatest" but different is not necessarily better... In the business world it is a huge cost in staff retraining. My customers mostly turn it off.

Spybot's UI is more welcome. I note that it is not dissimilar to Outlook in some respects which, of course, makes it more familiar as well.

I would welcome multiple documents and resizable windows in BIAB. I currently run dual 22" flat panels so it isn't as much of a problem but it is certainly a limiting factor. Given that we don't seem to be able to get more than 4 bars across the screen then dockable toolbars would also be welcome. That way I can get more effective use of my screen real estate.

Actually, being able to have multiple documents (songs) open and to control windows size would allow me to have a song on each screen... Good for all kinds of stuff - I use this in Noteworthy Composer a lot for copy and paste between works and occasionally templates I have setup.

--=-- My credo: If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing - just ask my missus, she'll tell ya laugh --=--
You're only paranoid if you're wrong!