Quote:

Mac,

Quote:

We don' need no steenking fret dots.

I guess my response for that would be that while standing up, the fret dots are "offset" from the actual frets by 2 or 3 frets considering the neck is to your left. The fretboard markers are still visible and are where they should be even while still standing up. Just another thing to think about instead of the music. I guess it only matters when you're playing up the neck a lot, which I do, and I'm sure you do too.

It's kind of a "Where's Waldo?" for the guitar. I'd rather find the note instead of finding "Waldo".

Just a pet peeve of mine.

No, just a pet peeve of *mine* my friend.

I was started with the Classical Guitar and an old school teacher, no fret markers on the fingerboard nor on the edge. No tab, everything was from the written music. We were expected to be able to glance at a passage and instinctively pick the right position to play that passage. We also learned chords from the notation page, starting with the open chords and moving up the neck. Does not take that long before one is able to view a note stack and instantly recognize it as the Grand Barre or some other chord. There is also a way to tell if you might do better applying the Capo in order to play a certain piece or passage as well. Route memorization of the basics was taught a the same time, such that the student not only learns the instrument but the theory, and is thus able to view the note stack within the key signature and instantly recognize the numbers from the Major Scale that make up the chord. Thus a "1,5,1,3,5,1" stack is the Grand Barre, etc.

One really can navigate the neck without them, but that also takes a methodology concerning the Positions, along with that daily practice regimen in order to program the brain and hands, etc.

At this point, the argument is much like the one about the LEDs defining scales and modes.

If you need the fret markers, no harm nor foul there.

On the other hand, if you DON'T need them, there should be no harm or foul there either.

If you were confronted with one and only one guitar that did not have the markers - and did not succumb to adding your own markers - you might be surprised how short a time it would take a skilled player like yourself to adapt.

Blind players don't seem to need the markers...

--Mac