PG Music Home
Wow, for the first time ever, BiaB Mac sales are exceeding Windows. BiaB is rising in appeal among young, professional musicians, and using Mac.

Demographics of the Mac biab skew towards younger people and professional musicians. And sales of the Mac biab have been rising, to the point that Mac biab sales now exceed windows biab. It is now 53:47 mac:windows. (It used to be 67:33 windows). That means a trend towards more younger, professional musicians using biab, on Mac

We hear from them mostly on social media (facebook, YouTube), and in the user showcase.
This is great to hear after all the rumblings on this forum about younger folks not adapting to BIAB. Thanks for sharing!
Awesome ! then it's probably worth the extra time you need to spend on Mac because of constant changing.
I think maybe release the Mac version in Dec then let the Win users now be the ones to wait smile
Unless you have that cross platform one planned ?
If they both used m4a and aiff it should not be an issue as I said Biab only needs to read the source files and renders to a standard format.
On the Mac I can convert the RT to 24bit 48khz and Biab is still able to use them, don't know if it still goes into memory @ that ?
Maybe one day Band in a Box has a version that can be used on an Apple Watch?

That's impressive.

I'm sure when you include a big marketing campaign when 2023 Mac is released that the figures are likely to increase even further.
I've noticed the same trend in my aftermarket product sales.

I didn't crunch the numbers like you did, but I'm close to 50:50 when in the past it was more like approximately 66:34

And once again, Peter, I thank you for your encouragement and support of my little sideline business.

BiaB is a nice app, and you deserve the success you have with it.

Notes ♫
Peter, that is great news. The fact that younger people are purchasing BiaB shuts down a lot of our "BiaB is for old people" messaging doesn't it.

When you have a great product for both the MIDI and audio (RT/RD) side word eventually gets out and it looks like it is out in full force.

I'm happy for PGM.
RE Mac...WOWSER PETER.

yep Peter imho finally mac are getting popular for 3 reasons. (even holdout moi is getting v interested….lol.)

1..pricing getting more affordable eg mac mini.
2..the very exciting nice M cpu's in low end machines instead of a marketing strategy of reserving such tech for the big bucks products.
3..a plethora of older macs at refurb prices as people switch to the new silicon.

what really excites me from my science background at uni is...
to see how apple handles the problems of laws of physics' as they try to improve on the architecture of the M series in terms of speed/temps.

maybe they will go to multiple processors.
these are exciting times. but i'm certain there will be a response from amd and intel who wont 'roll over' as the M silicon garners more market share.
maybe intel and amd will bring out at cheaper prices intel i9's and amd threadrippers.

eg i dreamt years ago about a cheap powerful mini pc for a few hundred dollars.
and finally i just got for 400 buks a mini ryzen pc with m.2 ssd which goes to 4ghz which i love so far.
runs bb/rb great.

i didnt wanna pay much cos i might get a mac mini at some point. so i'm saveing my shekels. but so far i'm thrilled with the ryzen mini pc for such low bucks.

another interesting aspect, and which has me wondering if the apple cart might be upset at some point ..is more processor companies now coming out to join the processor fray. and then theres QUANTUM...OH MOMMA ! lol.
(ive forgotten all my particle physics...lol.)

happiness.

om

ps thanks a ton for includeing moi on the awards.
v appreciated.
Quote:
We hear from them mostly on social media (facebook, YouTube), and in the user showcase.

Forums dedicated to a product or personality are dying a slow death. I fear forums will become as obsolete as dial-up bulletin board systems (BBS) in a few years. Few people want to create user names, passwords and profiles for site after site after site when they can sign in one time and have access to everything in one place.

I would bet every popular forum I visit has about twenty users that are constant members and everyone else participates when they desire or have a need to.
Fascinating, especially since it’s counter-intuitive based on the overall Mac vs Windows computer sales and user base.

Are your figures just sales direct from PG Music, or do you have a way to include all sales by third party retailers?

Did PG Music change marketing in any way that could explain the shift? Or do you attribute this to word-of-mouth recommendations by Mac purchasers? Or some other reason? Cause and effect is important here to capitalize on the trend.
Does this mean that, maybe, sometime in the near future, Atari is going to make a comeback? Will you re-release for Atari, Peter? grin smile

Okay, all kidding aside, I'm very glad to hear that BIAB is being adopted by younger musicians, and being on the Mac is good for business, too. I'm not going to switch to a Mac, although I don't have an intent on upgrading (if you can call it that) to Win 11, anytime in the near future. So, hopefully, because of this, it means that it's not a decrease in Windows buyers, but an increase in Mac users, so hopefully you're going to see overall sales increase!
PG Music is an ethical company, it never ditches users.

And I'm specifically referring to Windows 7 users.

So many musicians I know of use Windows 7 for production machine and never want to switch to Windows 10/11. Nobody wants a Microsoft forced automatic update ruin their production software overnight.

Unlike Adobe, PG Music is still keeping the Windows 7 users in the game.
Originally Posted By: MusicVillain
PG Music is an ethical company, it never ditches users.

And I'm specifically referring to Windows 7 users.<...snip...>

The songs and styles that I wrote on my Atari and BiaB was only DOS-5 on the PC still work.

In the computer world, that is a rarity.

While Mac has the upgrade or perish philosophy, PG Music doesn't want to abandon anyone.

And the folks at PGM, from Peter on down, have always been just very nice people.

I don't know why the Mac people are coming aboard in these numbers, but I'm happy for you.

Congrats again, and I wish many years of future success for your enterprise.

Notes ♫
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton

The songs and styles that I wrote on my Atari and BiaB was only DOS-5 on the PC still work.

Notes ♫

This level of backward compatibility is indeed rare . . . and valuable. I remember the DOS days and the "blue screen of death".

Keep up the good work PG Music.
Originally Posted By: Bass Thumper
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton

Notes ♫

This level of backward compatibility is indeed rare . . . and valuable. I remember the DOS days and the "blue screen of death".

Keep up the good work PG Music.

The dreaded "Blue Screen Of Death". I forgot all about that.

On my Atari, a line of little old-fashioned bombs, the globes with a little fuse on top ran across the screen.

I don't remember how my old Mac Classic II displayed a crash.

Band-in-a-Box has had some competitors in the auto-accompaniment field, but it was better than the competition (I know I wrote "styles for hire" for a couple), it was easier to use than the competition, and the back-compatibility kept the faithful in the BiaB camp.

Well done! Mr. Gannon.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫
© PG Music Forums