PG Music Home
Posted By: brian329 My computer plays notes - 08/03/10 07:32 PM
Running Win XP Professional. When I press the buttons on my laptop to increase or decrease the volume, my computer plays notes. How do I shut it off?
Posted By: Noel96 Re: My computer plays notes - 08/03/10 08:37 PM
Brian,

Is this when BIAB is running or when you use your computer normally?

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: DrDan Re: My computer plays notes - 08/03/10 09:15 PM
Quote:

Running Win XP Professional. When I press the buttons on my laptop to increase or decrease the volume, my computer plays notes. How do I shut it off?

Got to be a setting to disable audible sounds in your Sounds and Audio Devices within the Control Panel. Since the settings are different for each audio device I don't see them on this computer, but I am pretty sure I have seen them in the past and disabled to avoid loud beeps thorugh my monitors during music work.

Edit:

I believe you are talking about System Sounds. This are controlled in the Sounds and Audio Devices within the Control Panel. Select the Sounds Tab, then for Sounds scheme, select no sounds. That will quite all system sounds or you can customize which sounds you want on this same tab.
Posted By: brian329 Re: My computer plays notes - 08/04/10 01:32 AM
Sorry. When BIAB is running only. And only when a song is actually playing.
Posted By: DrDan Re: My computer plays notes - 08/04/10 01:42 AM
Quote:

Yieps, that certainly is strange behavior.
Posted By: Ryszard Re: My computer plays notes - 08/04/10 02:33 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Yieps, that certainly is strange behavior.

Forget what it's called, but it's a wizard, a part of BIAB, that lets you play notes from your QWERTY keyboard. It can be turned on and off.

Richard
Posted By: Bobby K Re: My computer plays notes - 08/04/10 02:34 AM
Is the "Wizard" button checked? (at the top, toward the right). Here's a desciption from the Help - (btw, I'm not sure what version my Help file is, but my Wizard checkbox is in the upper right, not "to the right of the song title", as it says below) :

"The Wizard is a 'play along' feature that allows you to use the computer keyboard to play along with Band-in-a-Box. The neat part about the Wizard is that it ensures that whatever you play sounds good.....

....How To Turn The Wizard On/Off

Click on the checkbox to the right of the song title to turn the Wizard feature On/Off.

Or Choose Wizard Playalong feature from the Play menu.

(The Wizard is only active during playback.)

How To Play The Wizard

The Wizard Keys are active during playback. The active keys are the lower 2 rows of the keyboard."

So, Brian, I'm sure others will chime in too, but in the meantime you could do a search on "QWERTY" (which is slang for your computer keyboard) on your Help file's Search tab - it brings up quite a few results.

Bobby K.

EDIT: Darnit, Richard, you beat me to it!
Posted By: brian329 Re: My computer plays notes - 08/04/10 02:36 AM
That's what it was-the Wizard. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain! I missed that in the manual somehow. I appreciate the help guys.
Posted By: Ryszard Re: My computer plays notes - 08/04/10 02:48 AM
Quote:

EDIT: Darnit, Richard, you beat me to it!

One of the neatest things about the Playalong Wiz is that when you choose a harmonized voice you STILL can't 'play' a wrong note. It's way cool.

R.
© PG Music Forums