PG Music Home
Posted By: jeanmarcpillard BB2011 - 12/04/10 10:56 PM
Hello
I have BB2010.5 and i want to upgrade .I have a little doubt about realtracks. If i order only the new realtracks (99$) will my old realtrack sound as good as the new one and will the old one have a reduced size on my external disk. Or i have to buy the ultra pack to have the same sound quality.
Thank you
Jean-Marc Pillard
Posted By: John Conley Re: BB2011 - 12/04/10 11:00 PM
I'm sure you have to get the whole upgrade. There is a new fancy 'engine' for RealTracks in the 2011 Band in a Box with 'stretching' software that allows for less files and better sound.

That's really cool.
Posted By: jeanmarcpillard Re: BB2011 - 12/04/10 11:08 PM
So does it mean i have to pay 139$ or the the 99$ ultra pack will do the same. In this last one BB2011 is included.in fact what i want to know is if my 101 realtrack i already have Will sound the same way as the new one
Posted By: kelso Re: BB2011 - 12/04/10 11:17 PM
And, if I can jump in, if I have "old" real tracks now, and I do, will I need (or want) to delete them as the new RTs must be different? Or did the PG folks have the installer remove the old ones?
Posted By: Mac Re: BB2011 - 12/04/10 11:21 PM
Do not delete anything from outside of BiaB.

Install the new stuff.

Inside BB, in the Realtracks Prefs, you will find buttons that can intelligently delete the files that you no longer need.

But - be sure to read and understand the directions first! Older machines, machines running XP, you may not want to do this.

In any case, I would want to have a full backup copy of my Realtracks files "in the whole" on another drive for archival backup purposes, just in case, before pushing that button.

--Mac
Posted By: DrDan Re: BB2011 - 12/04/10 11:25 PM
Quote:

So does it mean i have to pay 139$ or the the 99$ ultra pack will do the same. In this last one BB2011 is included.in fact what i want to know is if my 101 realtrack i already have Will sound the same way as the new one

The 99$ will get you the upgrade programs (BIAB and RB)and all the NEW RTs. Your previous RTs will be just fine and run well with the new version of the programs. Basically, you only need the $139 if you are missing any RTs or if you want the Hard Drive. That's how I understand it!
Posted By: DrDan Re: BB2011 - 12/04/10 11:37 PM
Quote:

And, if I can jump in, if I have "old" real tracks now, and I do, will I need (or want) to delete them as the new RTs must be different? Or did the PG folks have the installer remove the old ones?

Again, only my understanding . I don't think the new real tracks are differenct, they are just processed differently in the programs (BIAB and RB). There have been global updates to RT's over time and these have been provided at no charge. So I assume the installer checks the dates and compares to verify you have the current versions of each.

But you do have a good question, does the installer overwrite the prior files or just check to see if they are there?

Not sure this answered your question
Posted By: John Conley Re: BB2011 - 12/05/10 12:09 AM
The size of the Realtracks was huge. I've processed mine, but here's an example I dreamt up.

The old realtracks engine could only deal with say 10 bpm increments or 15. So you needed a file for 85, 100, 115, 130, 145 for say a guitar track.

The new engine can do with only 1 of those, so it goes through and deletes for you the files Pg music found redundant. The total size of the files goes down by 70 percent.

And to me they sound better.

Also some of the instruction and way they are used is 'fixed up'.

So you gain all around.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BB2011 - 12/05/10 02:10 AM
Quote:

Hello
will my old realtrack sound as good as the new one and will the old one have a reduced size on my external disk.
Jean-Marc Pillard

Yes, and yes.

The 2011 engine makes old RealTracks sound better. In addition, there are some revisions to some older RealTracks, including a new "less busy playing" jazz acoustic bass and piano at some slower tempos.

The method Mac describes (read carefully) can reduce the size of your old RealTracks. New RealTracks ship in the smaller size.
Posted By: jeanmarcpillard Re: BB2011 - 12/05/10 07:47 AM
Ok thank you for all your answer
Now i can order with clear ideas
Jean Marc Pillard
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: BB2011 - 12/05/10 08:00 AM
Regarding older machines, I have a P4 2.8 with 2 gigs ram running XP SP3. All the new stuff including deleting the redundant RT's runs perfect. Like Mac said, I had a full backup before I did that just in case.

Bob
© PG Music Forums