PG Music Home
Posted By: john m Exporting chord charts as text file - 02/03/11 09:54 PM
I have been using BIAB for several years to produce chord charts and have now have several hundred charts. I have just discovered an app for Android called Chord Reader that can display and trsanspose chord charts but they need to be in text format. Is there any way of exporting BIAB chord charts as text files. I tried cutting the chart and pasting into notepad and open office write but no luck. My plan is to get a cheap Android tablet and then use it to display my chord charts. Our keyboard player uses a similar set up but with Ipad (too expensive for me)
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Exporting chord charts as text file - 02/03/11 11:15 PM
Welcome to the forum.

I don't know that this is going to help you, but here are two settings in BIAB that might put you on the right track if it's possible at all.

Go to Opt., Preferences, OutputChords. You can set BIAB to trigger devices that expect just chord info that way.

Also, in File, Print, you can set the program to print only chords. Perhaps redirecting the printer to a file would produce something that could be 'fed' to your Android app.

----------------------

Or - if your Android tablet can display a PDF file, print the chords to a PDF using Cute PDF or some other such program in place of a printer, and just read the file like you would any regular document.

----------------------

Or - get an iPad instead, and use BIAB's native support as of version 2011, and get ahead of your keyboard player.
Posted By: John Conley Re: Exporting chord charts as text file - 02/04/11 03:40 AM
You can get it on the screen and use the copy to clipboard thing and paste it.

I have done that with charts with staves, copy to clipboard, paste into Powerpoint or Open Office, and display them in Android. Works fine. I add in the file for backing tracks as an mp3, and I can see the chart and play the backing track.

If someone comes up with an app that actually plays a pps file properly I can embed the file in the sheet, and have it play. I can do that in windows and linux. Then the song ends and I want the next I hit space bar and the next chart is up and it plays the backing track.
Posted By: jerrypettit Re: Exporting chord charts as text file - 02/10/11 09:26 PM
I found a "work around" just now, sort of, because I'm trying to do the same thing.

If you go to the notation window and add a lyric (I just insert a letter "X" at the very beginning), then go to Lyrics/Copy Lyrics to Clipboard, you'll get the chords AND the lyric--and they are finally "pasteable" as text to Notepad, or WordPad, or whatever.

John's method pastes as a graphic--not text.
© PG Music Forums