PG Music Home
I can't seem to solve this:
I want to sustain the last measure for 2 additional measures. Example I need the sound of measure 60 to sustain to 61 and 62 with no break in the sustain.

Below are directions I have received, but I'm missing something: The measures 61 and 62 following 60 are sustaining, but only after sounding the note again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"-Go to the bar that you want held (the last bar in your composition).
-Press ALT-F5 (Edit|Chord Settings) and select hold all instruments.
-Decide how many bars you want the chord held/sustained for. Type in
any chord OTHER THAN THE LAST CHORD HELD (it doesn't matter what chord
you use, because it will be rested.
-(with the cursor over this last chord) Press ALT-F5 again, and select rest all
instruments at this bar.
-Mark this bar as the last bar of the song.
THAT'S IT! Note that this will not work if you are using the auto 2 bar ending,
it must be disabled. Also, this will only work if your song has either a single
chorus OR multiple choruses and a tag ending. If you have multiple choruses
without a tag ending, you can't hold the last bar of the song because the hold
will be played each chorus

Thank you for your time,
Hello, Reed. Here are a few notes I just wrote in another thread that may help:

Are you using BIAB 2011?

To get a long fade, have you double-checked that you have the checkbox checked for Use 4 bar endings with RealTracks in the RealTracks preferences?

Are you up to date on the RealTracks, including the Holds and Shots file from last July, and the most recent update a few days ago?

Have you placed a hold (three dots) on your last chord, and then entered a rested chord (has to be different than the held chord) well after you want the last sound?

Make the last bar of the song (in the three numbers in the chordsheet, or in the tag settings if using a tag) a bar or two beyond that last rested chord.

As always, if things do not work as expected, try a Return to Factory Settings to make sure BIAB is working correctly.
Hi Matt - Thank you!

Are you using BIAB 2011?

NO - I have 2009 with all updates

To get a long fade, have you double-checked that you have the checkbox checked for Use 4 bar endings with RealTracks in the RealTracks preferences?

NO - I can't seem to locate that preference within RealTracks Preferences to tick use 4 bar endings

Are you up to date on the RealTracks, including the Holds and Shots file from last July, and the most recent update a few days ago?

Yes - I have All the updates to BIAB 2009, but can you point to the updates you are referring to?

Have you placed a hold (three dots) on your last chord, and then entered a rested chord (has to be different than the held chord) well after you want the last sound?

YES

Make the last bar of the song (in the three numbers in the chordsheet, or in the tag settings if using a tag) a bar or two beyond that last rested chord.

YES
Quote:

Matt, it seems like the rested chord is no longer needed. The hold chord and some number of measures is all that is required.

R
Reed,

Have you checked this out?

http://pgmusic.com/techfaq17.htm#23

R
Thanks Rachael - I'm working on what you have provided - Thank you too!
Rachael, no, I didn't know that. Thanks. I still do it out of habit. I don't remember reading that this was a new feature. How did you know this?

Reed, most of the settings I referred to are new as of version 2010.5 or 2011. Endings are one of the things recently improved in several ways, and I highly recommend you update to 2011.
Reed,
If you song is MIDI only, think about these two variables :
- What is the tempo of your song ?
- What duration do you want for your last chord ?
So, you need only a hold chord in bar#60, no need of bar#61, and try low tempo values for bar#60. For ex, if you BPM song is 140, try a value of 60 or 50 for the last bar. That is what I often do for the hold chords in the last bar of a song.
I have it working !!! YEAH.

Thank you all very much!

John - I will try the midi idea - that sounds real cool.
Quote:

Rachael, no, I didn't know that. Thanks. I still do it out of habit. I don't remember reading that this was a new feature. How did you know this?

I stumbled across it working on a song. Never have seen it mentioned in release notes but it works on my songs that have holds. Actually the 'old' way still works.

R
John:

Rachael and Matt's method also work well when using only MIDI.

I have BIAB 2009 on my PC and I have to use your method with MIDI, as Matt mentioned, endings didn't start happening until versions after 2009.

On my Mac I have 2010 BAIB and after getting all the updates, all methods mentioned on this thread worked.

Reed
© PG Music Forums