PG Music Home
Posted By: Phylo Multiple Solos - 02/14/11 10:35 PM
I'm new user trying to generate multiple Real Tracks solos in a song. The user manual seems to indicate this is possible. I'm using the Custom option since I want each solo to created in a different bar range. The first solo works fine, then when I generate the second solo, it wipes out the first one even though it is a different bar range. I tried unchecking the 'Overwrite existing solo in range' box, and specifying multi (16)channel for Soloist. I am a newbie and probably have overlooked something obvious. Any help would be appreciated.
Posted By: Bomberomusician Re: Multiple Solos - 02/15/11 02:28 AM
I'm working on you a Video Tutorial to show you how to add multiple solos to a song.
Should be ready for you tomorrow morning.

Multiple Solos In Band-In-A-Box
Posted By: Mac Re: Multiple Solos - 02/15/11 01:14 PM
Quote:

I'm new user trying to generate multiple Real Tracks solos in a song. The user manual seems to indicate this is possible. I'm using the Custom option since I want each solo to created in a different bar range. The first solo works fine, then when I generate the second solo, it wipes out the first one even though it is a different bar range. I tried unchecking the 'Overwrite existing solo in range' box, and specifying multi (16)channel for Soloist. I am a newbie and probably have overlooked something obvious. Any help would be appreciated.

**If you are trying to do this with RealTrack soloists in any version previous to BB2011, it cannot be done. Not like that anyway. The soloist dialog in older versions will only work with MIDI based parts.

What version of BB are you using?

--Mac
Posted By: Phylo Re: Multiple Solos - 02/15/11 01:41 PM
To Bomberomusician:
That's great! Thank you
Posted By: Phylo Re: Multiple Solos - 02/15/11 02:04 PM
To Mac:

I'm using BB2010.5, so I guess it's no-go. Thanks.

My User Guide does say 'If you want to overdub a solo and have multiple solo tracks going at once, de-select "Overwrite existing solo in range". So you're saying that doesn't apply to RT solos.
Posted By: Mac Re: Multiple Solos - 02/15/11 02:12 PM
There is a workaround that we used to use with the older versions.

If you have any open tracks available in our song, Mel, Solo, perhaps Strings, whatever, as long as it is not being used already by the accompaniment, you can invoke a RealTrack Soloist for the entire song on each available track by RightClicking on the trackname and then select that particular soloist from the RealTracks picker list.

This does not involve use of the Soloist window at all.

Once generated, there will be a cacaphony of soloists on those tracks, all playing at the same time.

Not to worry, you can use the RightClick, Bar Settings, to lower the Volume of the Soloist(s) that you don't want to hear for whatever period of time - a few bars or an entire chorus.

So you would set one of these tracks to be playing for the first period of time while setting the others to be silent.

When you get to the transition point, you then turn the first soloist down and also turn the second desired soloist up.

Etc.

This can actually create a really cool illusion, too - with careful manipulation of the where and when, you can create that situation where one soloist overlaps another for a phrase or a bar or so, as sometimes actually happens in a live performance anyway.

And if you don't have enough tracks available inside Biab, consider moving the project over to RealBand and then do the same type of thing, using the Automated Volume or Pianoroll Audio Volume CC7 command to bring one track up and the others down while the song rolls through the timeline.

--Mac
Posted By: Phylo Re: Multiple Solos - 02/15/11 02:39 PM
To Mac:

Thanks for the work around. It would be cooler if BB worked like the User Guide and the dialog says.

I see a new feature listed for BB2011 that looks like it actually will:

"• Re-Generate part of a Soloist track, without erasing the existing part. This allows you to customize your Soloist track by regenerating parts of the solo with the same or different RealTracks. For example, generate a 4-bar clarinet solo at bar 9. Then generate an 8-bar flute solo at bar 49. The file plays back with both solos intact."

I just bought BB2010 last week. If I knew a newer version was available I would have bought it instead. Oh well, let the buyer beware.
Posted By: Bomberomusician Re: Multiple Solos - 02/15/11 03:16 PM
Video Tutorial added to my original reply above.
Hope this helps...
Posted By: ralfboe Re: Multiple Solos - 02/15/11 03:48 PM
Antwort auf:

I just bought BB2010 last week. If I knew a newer version was available I would have bought it instead. Oh well, let the buyer beware.

PGMusic offers an "Unconditional 30 Day Money Back Guarantee". I think, they will take it back or change version 2010 into 2011 within 30 days.
You should contact PGMusic support or PGM sales.

Ralf
Posted By: Phylo Re: Multiple Solos - 02/15/11 03:50 PM
To Bomberomusician:

Thanks so much for the video. You spelled it out nicely step by step.
Even a klutz like me should be able to follow it. Thanks again for taking the time to help me out.

-Phylo
Posted By: oublaj Re: Multiple Solos - 02/17/11 06:29 PM
Try this. Hash out the song in BIB. Then open it in Realband and just add tracks and solos to your hearts content. I did one that started in BB 2010 and ended up with multiple solos trading 8's with no problem.
Posted By: Jed Re: Multiple Solos - 02/18/11 07:17 PM
To Bomberomusician:

Just like to add my thanks for the video...I would probably have got around to figuring out how to do it for my self.....in a few years time!!!

Regards,

Dave/Jed
© PG Music Forums