PG Music Home
Posted By: northcoast Audio Chord Wizard - 01/27/12 05:42 AM
Hi, I'm using BIB 2011 under Win7 32 bit.

I am trying to take an old Doo Wop song, "What's Your Name", and import it using the Audio Chord Wizard.

The song starts out with a pickup on the 4th beat and then it begins the song. Everything works fine except when I send it to BIB it does not contain the pickup. The song starts on the downbeat.
I have used this in the past with few problems what am I doing wrong.

TIA

tim
Posted By: Cerio Re: Audio Chord Wizard - 01/27/12 11:22 AM
Did you manually set the bar one, right? Could you give a link to the actual song, to see if we can replicate the problem?
Posted By: northcoast Re: Audio Chord Wizard - 01/28/12 01:36 AM
Yes, I manually set Bar-1 and then I set the sections as I play the song and adjust where the tempo strays. I might add that at Bar-1 there is a red section marker but the pickup that occurs before Bar-1 does not have a chord or a marker.
I am not sure how to set a link, is it possible to upload or attach a file to a post.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Audio Chord Wizard - 01/28/12 04:15 AM
when you exit the ACW you get a message that goes something like "The first bar is not the same size as the other bars..." then you get several options regarding how to address the difference.

Try picking different options when you exit ACW to see if that makes a difference. Several of us have noticed that the option you pick can affect a variety of things, including whether the whole song makes it back to the main track view.

Keep us posted
Posted By: Tommyc Re: Audio Chord Wizard - 01/28/12 11:47 AM
Why not just add another bar at the beginning and have the repeat start on the 2nd bar?
Posted By: Cerio Re: Audio Chord Wizard - 01/28/12 04:40 PM
Quote:

I am not sure how to set a link, is it possible to upload or attach a file to a post.

Is the song on youtube? If so, please just leave the link here.
Posted By: northcoast Re: Audio Chord Wizard - 01/29/12 03:17 AM
I hope this works. The song is called, "What's Your Name" and it is by Don & Juan.

I will continue to try other options as well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxPUqKNDsY8
Posted By: northcoast Re: Audio Chord Wizard - 01/29/12 04:34 AM
Ok, I have tried everything I know to try and w/o any luck.
I have started with a .wav file and then a .mp3 file no luck.
The very first thing I do is play the song and set bar one.
I then depict the different sections and adjust the tempo as needed.
It does not bring over the one beat pickup.
I have tried to add a barline on the pickup note and then it will pick it up however the measures are off.
The bar with the pickup has no chords and is depicted as bar 0.
On some of my other songs there is a bar (-1), but I am not sure if that has any meaning.
Within ACW I don't think I can add a bar to the beginning, remember this is an import of a song.
Also, I tried to make bar (0) a bar (-1) but I couldn't do it.
I mean it is not the end of the world but I like these things to work and also I learn as I go.

Thank you for all your help..
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Audio Chord Wizard - 01/29/12 06:56 AM
Quote:

Ok, I have tried everything I know to try and w/o any luck.

when you mention the one beat pickup, are you referring to "WHAT'S YOUR..." and then Bar one starts with "NAME" ? (the rest of my post assumes that's the case...if not, just discard my ranting.)

I just downloaded the song from Youtube, loaded it into ACW, set bar one (and everything else synced up pretty well)

When I was finished and ready to send it back to RB, the message appeared "THE FIRST BAR IS SMALLER THAN THE SECOND BAR.. WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DO?"... I picked the last option "keep the first bar but use a tempo change"

when the song reopened in RB, the lead-in was there. Personally, I think its kind of confusing that you set bar 1 at one place, but when you leave the ACW, the message referring to the first bar is actually talking about the part of the song BEFORE where you set bar 1... in this case, the lead in section you want to preserve. Its basically asking if you want to keep it or discard it. Maybe you've been discarding it?

Quote:

I have started with a .wav file and then a .mp3 file no luck.

either should work

Quote:

The very first thing I do is play the song and set bar one.
I then depict the different sections and adjust the tempo as needed.
It does not bring over the one beat pickup.

which option did you pick when it asked you how to handle the first bar?

Quote:

I have tried to add a barline on the pickup note and then it will pick it up however the measures are off. The bar with the pickup has no chords and is depicted as bar 0.
On some of my other songs there is a bar (-1), but I am not sure if that has any meaning.

yes, bars -1 or -2 create space for whatever part of the song you want to keep BEFORE the place where you set Bar 1

Quote:

Within ACW I don't think I can add a bar to the beginning, remember this is an import of a song.

that's true, you can't add it in the ACW... the -1 bar gets added automatically when the song gets sent back to real band

Quote:

Also, I tried to make bar (0) a bar (-1) but I couldn't do it.
I mean it is not the end of the world but I like these things to work and also I learn as I go.

Thank you for all your help..

the only place I'm aware of that you can declare how many bars exist before bar 1 is on the chord view or track view, just above the keyboard, about 2/3 of the way across the screen It's labeled "BAR OFFSET", and in this case it only needs to be -1 to account for the lead-in.
Posted By: Cerio Re: Audio Chord Wizard - 01/29/12 12:15 PM
Like Pat, I've just opened the song in ACW (BIAB 2012) without problems; I just manually set bar 1, and the rest was automatically synced. When I sent the song to BIAB, I received no "THE FIRST BAR IS SMALLER..." message. After correcting a few chords (BIAB did an excelent job here too), I pressed play, and nothing was missing in the song.

If you want, I can send you the files via email; this way, if my file is working for you, you'll know that you're doing something wrong; if not, you'll be sure that there's something wrong with your setup).
Posted By: northcoast Re: Audio Chord Wizard - 01/29/12 08:12 PM
Yes, you are exactly right.

When I send the song back to BIB, I do not receive a message.

The ACW Utilities Window opens where I:
Set the song key.
Make a tempo map in BiB.
Erase audio file.

I wonder if I have an option set or not set that generates that message.

I will do a little more research.

Thank you...
Posted By: northcoast Re: Audio Chord Wizard - 01/29/12 08:17 PM
Thank you I would like to receive the song attached in an email.

My email is: thuntny@gmail.com

TIA
Posted By: northcoast Re: Audio Chord Wizard - 01/29/12 08:49 PM
When I open the song in ACW, my first bar is (0) not (-1).

Could this be what is defining the pickup b/4 bar 1?
Posted By: Cerio Re: Audio Chord Wizard - 01/30/12 01:33 AM
Quote:

Thank you I would like to receive the song attached in an email.

Done.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Audio Chord Wizard - 01/30/12 01:44 AM
Quote:

When I sent the song to BIAB, I received no "THE FIRST BAR IS SMALLER..." message.

apparently the ACW works a little differently in BIAB than it does in Real Band. I was using Real Band.
You're right, the version in BIAB does not ask how to deal with the part that comes before bar 1

Sorry for the side track
Posted By: northcoast Re: Audio Chord Wizard - 01/30/12 04:43 AM
Ok, I think I solved the problem.

My problem of ACW not bringing over the one beat pickup note is not a problem with ACW.

I had a Preference set to "Count-in / Allow Lead-in bars" set to no.

As soon as I changed it, the song played the intro correctly.

Thank you one and all for your help and especially to Sergio for sending me his files.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Audio Chord Wizard - 01/30/12 11:51 AM
thanks for letting us know what worked. Things like this have a way of showing up again, and now there's a searchable record of the solution.
Posted By: Cerio Re: Audio Chord Wizard - 01/30/12 02:53 PM
I'm glad you solved your problem.
© PG Music Forums