PG Music Home
Hello All,

I lost my harddisk's power adapter of Band-in-a-Box 2011.5 Audiophile Edition. So,I would like to know the specification of it ex voltage, ampere to buy a new one.

Thanks in advance
Panom N.
If no one has answered by tomorrow when I get home, I'll look at mine and post specs.
MODEL: SPP34-12 0/5.0-2000
INPUT: 100-240VAC 50/60hZ 1.0A
OUTPUT: 12.0V 2000mA
5.0V 2000mA

Those are the details from the back of my adaptor for 2011.5, a hard drive that is gathering dust and likely to become my next external back up. The new external hard drive is much smaller and does not need an adaptor - deriving its power from the computer.

I would mention is that the 2011.5 hard drive has an American plug, which is useless in Australia, and I have to use a very bulky plug adaptor to suit our three-pin plugs. Actually, I think it is illegal to sell American type plugs in Australia. I notice that the importer of American-manufactured(?) MIGHTY BRITE music-stand lights has replaced all the American adaptors with Aussie ones; as opposed to the ones I purchased over the internet from Jamey Aebersold, which require the plug adaptor. Maybe a tip for the PG Music shop to look into plug requirements when they export to various places in the world. America and Canada do very well with internet sales into Australia and it would be a shame to upset the authorities. Just a thought, although I suppose it is a bit of a pain having to stock different adaptors for different places in the world. Better to stick with the external hard drives that do not require a power adaptor.
Hi Graham,

We've switched to hard drives that are powered by USB, so the external power supply is no longer needed.

Thanks
Kent
PG Music.
Quote:

Hi Graham,

We've switched to hard drives that are powered by USB, so the external power supply is no longer needed.

Thanks
Kent
PG Music.

However, as is stated in the manuals...

If you are using a laptop and having power issues with the
external drive (isn't coming on, can't read directory, or
it sometimes fails or disappears) then check your laptop's
usb power settings.

An external adapter CAN be used 5V DC center tip +.

But as was stated this shouldn't be necessary. If you are
still having power issues to the external drive, be sure then
to plug the two usb pigtails into 'different' usb pairs.

Most usb connections come in pairs and the 5V you get from one
is the same 5V you get from the other. It is not in particular
the voltage gain that you are after, but the current draw.

A huge current draw will bring down your usb 5V to less than 5V,
however if you plug one pigtail into one usb pair and plug the
other pigtail into a 'different' usb pair, then you will be
drawing current from two different sources and the resulting
voltage to the external drive will be higher.
Use of a generic Powered USB hub that has its own wallwart can often solve the problem as well, IF your hard drive is one of the types that can indeed be powered by the USB port.

--Mac
© PG Music Forums