PG Music Home
Posted By: elkayem Change substyle in middle of song? - 04/01/12 06:54 PM
I really enjoy the ability to change substyles in a song, but... I'm a little confused about how to use these effectively. For example, the _BOS2SWG "Jazz Piano Trio, Bossa to Swing" allows the substyle to smoothly change from Bossa Nova (A & B) to Swing (C & D). Suppose I have a song with 8 choruses, and want the first 4 to be Bossa Nova and second 4 swing? How would I change from substyle B to D at the beginning of chorus 5?
Posted By: Rachael Re: Change substyle in middle of song? - 04/01/12 07:48 PM
You could Unfold the song and use the part markers. 8 choruses is pretty long and you may run into the bar limit of BIAB (I think 255)

or

Use (F5) Bar Settings to specify the style and chorus(es). The A/B style is called _BOS2SWG and the C/D Substyle is called _BOS2SW2.

R
Posted By: elkayem Re: Change substyle in middle of song? - 04/01/12 10:00 PM
Thanks Rachel! Those are two great options. I didn't realize that the C/D substyle had a different name. I know how to use the bar settings to change styles, so that looks like the best option. However, it brings up a new question: How do I select _BOS2SW2?? I don't see it anywhere in the style picker, and I can't figure out a way to enter the name manually. I have the EverythingPak, so if it is out there, I should have it. Still learning my way around this software, so it is great that there is a good knowledge base out there.

Larry
Posted By: Rachael Re: Change substyle in middle of song? - 04/01/12 11:40 PM
Use the Open... rather than the .STY button. After you have done that, it should show in the Stylepicker as a Recent style. If you use it a lot, you can then make it a Favorite style.

R
Posted By: elkayem Re: Change substyle in middle of song? - 04/02/12 01:37 AM
That works, thanks! That is an obscure feature!

In retrospect, the "unfold" option looks easier to implement... if I can keep the total length down to 255 measures.

Thank you for your help!!
Larry
Posted By: Rachael Re: Change substyle in middle of song? - 04/02/12 12:30 PM
Yes, if you can work with an Unfolded song it gives you more control.

R
© PG Music Forums