PG Music Home
Posted By: kelso Laptop Audio-Outs? - 04/30/12 08:13 PM
I’m helping a friend shop for a laptop for BIAB. And I don’t know much about laptops.

The intent is to have BIAB output go out of the lappy directly to the amplifier and speakers of a digital piano (Clavinova), no audio interface. We’ve done this using a desktop - all OK.

Now when I look at laptops in the store, from the cheapest to the grandest, it seems they all have only one audio output - a headphone jack. I know it is possible to run the headphone out of the computer to the Clavinova (Did that too. OK but volume seemed low). But I was expecting (hoping) to see other outputs like “line-out” , “audio-out”, etc. in the laptops.

So, my questions are -

1. Is there any downside to simply using the laptop’s headphone jack (I’m thinking output voltage, EQ, etc. of a headphone jack may be different than an “audio-out”)?

2. Do all laptops have only a headphone jack as and audio out or do some come with a more robust offering (like audio-out)?

3. Short of investing in a USB audio interface, what are some other options (headphone amplifier, ...)?

4. Any other recommendations or experiences?

Thanks.
Posted By: pwarren Re: Laptop Audio-Outs? - 04/30/12 08:31 PM
I have a Toshiba lappy that I use for BiaB and RB. Before I got my Echo Indigo io card I used the lappys mic in and headphone out to a mixer without any problems. The mixer mains out to powered speakers. I know some people will disagree with me but I found the setup to work fine.

The volume control for the headphone out will work like a gain control to set the level to your amp.

Having said that I do admit the echo cards output is better. The signal to noise ration is far superior and for recording this makes a difference. However, if it's for live play I bet no one could tell the difference.

Anyway give it a try, it can't hurt the hardware. If it doesn't suit your requirements you can get an audio interface later.
Posted By: Rachael Re: Laptop Audio-Outs? - 04/30/12 09:32 PM
I use the headphone jack for live performances which sounds just fine to me. For backup purposes, I have a USB D/A in case the laptop headphone jack dies.

Some audio folks here stress to make sure the volume(s) on the laptop are all at max. If still not adequate, there are plug-ins that can be used to accomplish this.
Posted By: silvertones Re: Laptop Audio-Outs? - 04/30/12 09:50 PM
Headphone out is fine. I use it for my small setup.Make sure it's turned up full & control volume at the amp.A lot of built in sound cards have audio processors as well built in and can be of value for sure.
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Laptop Audio-Outs? - 04/30/12 09:52 PM
Ditto to Racheal . . .

Been using it for years for live gigs, no issues whatsoever.

Later,
Posted By: BarryKJ Re: Laptop Audio-Outs? - 05/01/12 02:19 AM
I used the headphone out before getting a usb interface and it worked fine except for hum, so I had to buy a suppressor from Radio Shack that took care of that issue. Might not be a problem with your setup - just a heads up to you.
Posted By: Shastastan Re: Laptop Audio-Outs? - 05/01/12 03:27 AM
I tried the headphone jack, but I like my usb UA-4FX a lot better. Of course I'm running an ext synth off of it, too. My speakers are powered though because we practice using them and need the volume that they put out. It's a logitech 3 speaker system.
Posted By: Mac Re: Laptop Audio-Outs? - 05/01/12 01:31 PM
The headphone output jack is electrically identical to an unbalanced line output.

All you need are the proper cable and Y adaptor to fit the inputs of your amplification system.

And be sure to turn the software mixer playback faders all the way up and adjust volume using the physical controls on the amplifier for best full sound.

--Mac
Posted By: kelso Re: Laptop Audio-Outs? - 05/01/12 10:46 PM
Thanks everyone.
Posted By: Muzic Trax Re: Laptop Audio-Outs? - 05/02/12 10:04 PM
I use an Yamaha Audiogram USB Soundcard/Mixer with my laptop. No noise, humm etc . . .

Works great with the PG products as well.

Trax
Posted By: WienSam Re: Laptop Audio-Outs? - 05/03/12 05:46 AM
Quote:

The headphone output jack is electrically identical to an unbalanced line output.

All you need are the proper cable and Y adaptor to fit the inputs of your amplification system.

And be sure to turn the software mixer playback faders all the way up and adjust volume using the physical controls on the amplifier for best full sound.

--Mac

Plus one on that.

I am totally laptop for everything. I do have a Tascam US-122 Audio/MIDI interface but I really only use that for recording purposes. The headphone output into my PA works fine for karaoke/DJ roadshows
Posted By: Mike Laatz Re: Laptop Audio-Outs? - 05/03/12 03:14 PM
Hi
I use a laptop for all my live gigs, and use the headphone output. Unlike all the previous people who've posted here, I find I get the best sound with my laptop volume set rather low (about 25%), letting the PA do the work. Perhaps it's the laptop's soundcard that's different, I don't know.
Posted By: WillM Re: Laptop Audio-Outs? - 05/03/12 04:28 PM
Hey Kelso,

Adding my 2 cents,

This all depends on the computer. In laptops, the audio chipset is normally right on the motherboard thus the audio signal can thus suffer from interference from other things on the board (like hard drive activity). This interference is easiest for me to hear in my experience in a low noise environment if I turn up my amp a bit. Some computers have better built-in audio SNR (signal to noise ratio) than others, so some will be fine for a gig and some won't - you will have to do a bit of testing to be sure. Most of the time even if the noise is audible it'll be masked by ambient noise anyway so it's usually not a big deal, but it depends on the gig and system.

The only work-around is an audio interface. The SNR is much better on these devices as it's something that's prioritized when they're designed.

Others are spot on in recommending the highest level possible from the computer - think of it this way, your noise level is always going to be the same, and if your audio signal is quieter, it means the noise level is closer in level relative to your audio signal, so when you amplify your noise will be even more noticeable.

HTH,
Will
© PG Music Forums