PG Music Home
Posted By: Matt Finley Can SuperTracks be copied as MIDI? - 08/13/12 07:08 PM
Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I would like to Drag&Drop a SynthPad SuperTrack to my DAW program as a MIDI track. It seems to work, but the result in the DAW is a bunch of notes on, increasing the number of notes on until all the pitches in the original track are sounding (I think), and every note stays on permanently. Yech.

What I'm experimenting with, by the way, is to get some 'more interesting' string tracks by trying the SynthPad Supertracks with a string patch, using a Force Simple checkbox. It has potential, though the playing is pretty "out there" so far. However, it could be edited, if I could do the Drag&Drop successfully.

Suggestions? Or not possible?

Thanks.
Posted By: KeithS Re: Can SuperTracks be copied as MIDI? - 08/13/12 07:58 PM
Matt,

I'm not at my home computer to test this myself, but if it were me, and drag and drop is not giving the desired results, I'd probably try MIDI export to see if it gives different results.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Can SuperTracks be copied as MIDI? - 08/13/12 08:14 PM
Thanks, Keith. Yes, I tried that too, same results. Sorry - should have mentioned that.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Can SuperTracks be copied as MIDI? - 08/13/12 10:26 PM
Any update here?

If the question was coming from a newbee, I would assume I already knew the answer, but certainly Matt knows how to move a midi track around. So whats up here?
Posted By: Tommyc Re: Can SuperTracks be copied as MIDI? - 08/13/12 10:41 PM
Edit in Real Band? Just a thought Matt.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Can SuperTracks be copied as MIDI? - 08/13/12 10:53 PM
If it is no different from what went into SONAR, that is not going to work. But someone who uses RealBand could try, just to verify that.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Can SuperTracks be copied as MIDI? - 08/14/12 12:45 AM
Matt, I just did a couple of experiments trying to drop Supertracks into SonarX1D Studio. I had no success at all when trying to drop a Combo into Sonar. However everything worked fine IF I dropped the tracks one at a time! The styles I used were M_TXBZM, M)SHINES and M_BOSMID.

If anyone else is using drop and drag and Sonar would you please try to duplicate either Matt’s or my results. Thanx.

I looks like we have a bug here, at least with the combo drop and drag.
Posted By: rharv Re: Can SuperTracks be copied as MIDI? - 08/14/12 01:05 AM
Maybe an incombatibility with the MIDI resolutions?
Just a thought
Matt, what is resolution in Sonar? How does it relate to new supertracks?
BiaB now supports higher resolutions, one of the few things that have changed that I can think of.
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Can SuperTracks be copied as MIDI? - 08/14/12 01:43 AM
I think you just hit it Bob. Biab itself doesn't support higher resolutions, it's still at 120. But, it can either save or export midi at much higher resolutions. I think D&D would be at the standard 120 but if it's saved at a higher resolution then it might open in Sonar.

Bob
Posted By: silvertones Re: Can SuperTracks be copied as MIDI? - 08/14/12 01:53 AM
I get the same results Matt in Sonar 8.5. In RB all I get are the notes with no sustain.Looking at the midi monitor all there is is note info. Weird.Something different going on here to do with the way BIAB is doing this.
Posted By: silvertones Re: Can SuperTracks be copied as MIDI? - 08/14/12 02:00 AM
Trying to save the midi file to wav didn't work either.
Posted By: silvertones Re: Can SuperTracks be copied as MIDI? - 08/14/12 02:06 AM
Try saving the BIAB file and open in RB. Oh my God.We need to work on this in the secret cave.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Can SuperTracks be copied as MIDI? - 08/14/12 03:38 AM
Yes, please let me know if it works in RealBand. Thank you to all who are trying this with me.

As far as resolution, I did nothing different from what has already worked. In the same song, I already did the Drag&Drop of the Melody and Soloist tracks and they worked fine as always. I have not yet used the ability to export at other than 120 ppq.

I do drag the Combo button, which takes the RealTracks, and then I drag the MIDI tracks one by one. The point of this thread is that the SuperTrack, which is MIDI, does not behave the same as other MIDI tracks.
Posted By: Mac Re: Can SuperTracks be copied as MIDI? - 08/14/12 11:17 AM
BiaB, like most all other MIDI programs, does not use the MIDI "note-off" command, relying instead on Note Duration commands. This is common practice as the idea of a "note off" was implemented in the original MIDI Standard but was soon found to be superfluous data for every note as the Duration command takes care of the same thing.

Check your imported MIDI files for Note Duration data...

There's also the chance that this is Sustain data generated by a keyboard whose pedal cc command does not work as the old GM bang-bang, thus leaving Sustain on the whole time.

Matt -- Freeze one of those files and send an email with the file attached to the beta email address with explanation and the URL to this thread.

--Mac
Posted By: silvertones Re: Can SuperTracks be copied as MIDI? - 08/14/12 01:11 PM
I looked and there's nothing but note on commands.
Posted By: John Conley Re: Can SuperTracks be copied as MIDI? - 08/14/12 01:28 PM
From the promo material:

MIDI SuperTracks are MIDI tracks that can be added to a track or a style, and play like other MIDI tracks in a style. They are called “SuperTracks” because they are generated using a different engine than typical MIDI style tracks. Typical MIDI style tracks are generated from C7 patterns in the style, and repeat these patterns over any chord. MIDI SuperTracks use actual MIDI playing from musicians (similar to RealTracks in that regard), so are not based on patterns.

Selectable PPQ for MIDI Files

We’ve also added other new MIDI features, such as selectable PPQ resolution for export of MIDI files (from 120 to 1920 PPQ).

By default, Band-in-a-Box saves MIDI files with 120 PPQ resolution. This is about 4 millisecond resolution, which is very good resolution. In our listening tests, people couldn’t tell the difference between files at 120 PPQ and files at higher PPQ (like 960 etc.). But if you prefer to work in a DAW at a higher PPQ, you can now have Band-in-a-Box output at the resolution that you want.

Perhaps you need to choose a compatible ppq to ensure you can load them.

On the other hand it seems like the new engine has something to do with it.

Only time or Peter will tell.
Posted By: Mac Re: Can SuperTracks be copied as MIDI? - 08/14/12 02:59 PM
I think the word, "engine" there refers to the Stylemaker. "Patterns" mapped to
C7 being the clue.

My take on the MIDI Supertracks is that they are recorded performances just like the RealTracks, the only difference being that they are recorded as MIDI and not Audio. But the basic underlying routines used for the RealTracks are very likely being used for the MIDI Supertracks.

--Mac
Quote:

I looked and there's nothing but note on commands.

NOTE ON messages can be interpreted as midi NOTE OFF if the second byte is equals to 0 (velocity).
Are all these values greater than 0 ?
Posted By: cubanpete Re: Can SuperTracks be copied as MIDI? - 08/14/12 06:26 PM
Quote:

Trying to save the midi file to wav didn't work either.

Ok, after all the talk about resolution and things like that, my question is: if midi super tracks cannot be drag and drop or cannot be saved as a wav file nether, how can we render them to be use in whatever DAW we are using for final mix and master? Just wondering, unless I'm not understanding or I am missing something here. Would somebody clarify this for me, please?

Thanks
Posted By: Mac Re: Can SuperTracks be copied as MIDI? - 08/14/12 07:46 PM
Patience, cubanpete, you may be jumping to conclusions over what is starting to look like jut another BUG that will likely get taken care of in an update...

--Mac
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Can SuperTracks be copied as MIDI? - 08/14/12 08:27 PM
Yes, please hang on while PG Support is checking into it.
Posted By: cubanpete Re: Can SuperTracks be copied as MIDI? - 08/14/12 08:34 PM
Quote:

Patience, cubanpete, you may be jumping to conclusions over what is starting to look like jut another BUG that will likely get taken care of in an update...

--Mac

That's ok, I'm so patient that I haven't bought the upgrade yet, to see if all the rough spots are filed away. Good to know that now the situation might be regarded as a bug. No problem, I'm sure it will be taken care of as usual. Thanks Mac.
Posted By: LynB Re: Can SuperTracks be copied as MIDI? - 08/15/12 09:09 AM
Checked several of the Synth Midi Tracks in RB and there is note data only. I would not expect Sustain as this is not generally suitable for instruments which can hold notes such as Synths.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Can SuperTracks be copied as MIDI? - 08/15/12 01:53 PM
Update: Support has found a problem with SuperTrack 1805, the one I was using. It transfers as audio into RealBand. I'll keep you posted.
Posted By: MartinB Re: Can SuperTracks be copied as MIDI? - 08/15/12 02:58 PM
Hi Matt,
just created SuperTrack 1805 on the BB Soloist Track, applied drag&drop to RB without a hitch. Works like a breeze.
Just for the heck of it, created SuperTrack 1805 on the BB Strings Track, applied drag&drop to RB -> and received midi notes with zero duration ant thus no sound at all on the pertinent RB Track.

Somewhere there's the mischief in these SuperTracks ...
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Can SuperTracks be copied as MIDI? - 08/15/12 10:13 PM
Martin, I too used the String track. I'll try another track as you did.

Meanwhile, PG Music Support has identified a problem and is working on it.

EDIT. The Soloist track works! SuperTrack 1805 comes in fine as MIDI to SONAR. OK, this is an important clue I will pass along to Support. Thanks, Martin.
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: Can SuperTracks be copied as MIDI? - 08/16/12 12:16 AM
>>> MIDI files from MIDI SuperTracks and some RealCharts were not showing correct durations in some cases.

Fixed in build 357 (August 15, 2012)

Patch available here,
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=373591&an=0&page=0#Post373591

and shipping with the current version as of Aug. 15, 2012
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Can SuperTracks be copied as MIDI? - 08/16/12 12:50 AM
Thank you!
Posted By: Tommyc Re: Can SuperTracks be copied as MIDI? - 08/16/12 12:50 PM
Incredible Company!
© PG Music Forums