PG Music Home
Posted By: SethMould Record MIDI and vocal - 11/25/12 02:17 PM
Sorry if I'm being thick, but I've added vocals to a .sgu file and I can't work out how to save the whole thing to .wav or .mp3

PLEASE send simple instructions to sethmould@yahoo.com
Posted By: Mac Re: Record MIDI and vocal - 11/25/12 04:46 PM
Use a DXi (or VSTi if later version of BB) MIDI synth, whether or not the file has any MIDI in it or is all Realtracks, and then select Render to Audio file under the Audio menu and read every option and selection in the little Render window that opens.

This my also depend upon which VERSION of Band in a Box you have, however, a very old version won't do that.

**You should EDIT your Email address in your post, or the Spambots are going to pick it up and fill your inbox with trash. Not safe. try removing the "at" sign for starters.**

Ex: sethmould - at - yahoo.com

The spaces and dashes separating the actual spelling of at should confuse the automated email harvesting bots. At least for now.

--Mac
Posted By: SethMould Re: Record MIDI and vocal - 11/26/12 07:06 AM
Thanks Mac. I'm on version 2012.5

I record audio, just putting vocals on the .SGU

In the Audio menu, I choose 'Render MIDI to stereo .WAV file etc'. This shows the 'Record to Audio file' dialog.

The checkbox 'Merge in Audi Track' is ticked. Do I then choose 'DXi - Direct Render (save WAV file)'?

This doesn't render the vocals.

Also, when I re-open the .SGU the audio track has gone.
Posted By: Mac Re: Record MIDI and vocal - 11/26/12 03:02 PM
When you Record to the Audio Track, BB creates a separate .wav file that has the exact same name as the songfile but with the different suffix, ".wav" appended.

That file has to be in the same folder as the BB song resides in order for it to be loaded with the songfile.

If, for some reason, it got moved to another folder, that may be the problem here.

You should hit the PLAY button and let the parts generate, ascertain that you hear the Audio file playing with the instruments first, then hit Stop and try Rendering.

Also make sure that you have downloaded and installed the latest update version for your version of band in a box, by visiting the Support pages. Help->About inside BB program will report which version you are running. If there is a later version, download and install the latest one, which will contain all previous updates and fixes as well.

--Mac
Posted By: SethMould Re: Record MIDI and vocal - 11/26/12 04:44 PM
Thanks for your ongoing support on this.

BIAB records the .WAV to TEMPMAIN.WAV in the folder where .SGU lives.

I guess I'll just merge a generated .WAV from the .SGU with the vocal .wAV, but this is not really acceptable.
Posted By: SethMould Re: Record MIDI and vocal - 11/26/12 06:53 PM
Forgot to say: BIAB also makes a .bt1 file with the same name as the .sgu
Posted By: Andrew - PG Music Re: Record MIDI and vocal - 11/26/12 07:28 PM
Hello Seth,

Quote:

BIAB records the .WAV to TEMPMAIN.WAV in the folder where .SGU lives.

Once you save your song, this tempmain.wav should become a wave file that has the same name as your .sgu. If this doesn't happen, I'm not sure why that would be (without further troubleshooting), however try saving the file in a different folder and see if that makes a difference. Maybe try your "documents" folder or the desktop, since those are locations that your user account is sure to have full access to.

That said, rendering the file to wave with your recorded audio track included should just be a matter of press the .WAV button in the main Band-in-a-Box toolbar, and making sure "merge in audio track" is selected. Converting to .MP3 can also be done provided you have a suitable mp3 codec installed on your computer. If .mp3 conversion doesn't work you could use a different compressed format, like .m4a or .wma, or render to wave in Band-in-a-Box and convert to .mp3 using a different program.

Quote:

Forgot to say: BIAB also makes a .bt1 file with the same name as the .sgu

This is normal behaviour. The bt1 file stores information about the wave file that improves time-stretching and shortens song generation times.
Posted By: Mac Re: Record MIDI and vocal - 11/27/12 01:12 AM
Yes, it will be a Temp unless and until you SAVE the song again...
Posted By: SethMould Re: Record MIDI and vocal - 12/14/12 03:34 PM
Thanks to all for guidance.
© PG Music Forums