PG Music Home
Posted By: FB Entering guitar chords with capo - 12/09/12 10:15 AM
Hello,
Just a very simple question: I want to enter chords in BIAB but, it's played on guitar with capo.
Usually, I translate it myself before to type it. Is there a simple way to do it?
Thanks.
FB
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: Entering guitar chords with capo - 12/09/12 12:05 PM
Quote:

Is there a simple way to do it?

Yep. ... You enter the correct key!

A capo has nothing to do with it. Just like in the "real" world.

A capo is for the convenience of the player using the capo. The rest of the musical world just thinks in terms of the actual key.
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: Entering guitar chords with capo - 12/09/12 01:06 PM
Yes, there is a simple way. For example, if the capo is on fret 1 and the song is played in Eb. So you are playing in D and the sound is capo'd up one semitone so that it sounds as Eb.

If you want to type D as your chord, then do so for the whole song, and enter D as the key signature. When you are done, transpose the whole song to Eb using the key box on the main screen. And you're done.
Posted By: FB Re: Entering guitar chords with capo - 12/09/12 01:21 PM
Thanks, that's just I did. But I only have the guitar chords A E Bm Bm A E Bsus2... and it's said capo on fret 2. It's more easy when you have a piano score.
I suppose it was written in D. Am I correct?
Posted By: MarioD Re: Entering guitar chords with capo - 12/09/12 02:39 PM
FB, get a chromatic scale picture of the fretboard like this one: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http...wAg&dur=141
Your capo is on the second fret so just count up two from the chord. So A is B, E is F#, Bm is C#m and Bsus2 is C#sus2. If the capo is on the third fret add 3 and so on.

So with the chords B, F#, C#m and C#sus2 my guess is that the song is in the key of F#. Are there any other chords in the song? What is the last chord of the song? Usually the last chord of the song is the key of the song.
Posted By: JohnJohnJohn Re: Entering guitar chords with capo - 12/09/12 05:39 PM
it would be great to have a capo feature in BIAB for guitarists. when writing a song I will capo up and down as I write to find the best place for my song. typically I have settled on my chord forms during this part of the process so I am just moving them around on the fretboard. it would make it much easier if BIAB would let me change a capo setting instead on having to transpose, edit and then transpose back every time I want to edit a song. and yes I understand that I could put in more effort and transpose in my head to enter the "right" chords but BIAB is giving me shortcuts to accompaniment so why not this shortcut too? :-)
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: Entering guitar chords with capo - 12/09/12 07:00 PM
Hi John,

You can do this by entering a tranpose value. You can enter that via Notation-Options dialog, or Prefs-Display.

e.g. For a capo at 3rd fret, would enter tranpose of -3.

Then a concert Bb chord will display as a G for you.
And when you enter 'G', you will see 'G' but it will play as 'Bb'

I can add those #s to the new Non-Concert transpose button, so that its more convenient, and shows text (on a sub menu) like Capo Fret 1, Capo Fret 2
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Entering guitar chords with capo - 12/09/12 07:18 PM
Quote:

Hi John,

You can do this by entering a tranpose value. You can enter that via Notation-Options dialog, or Prefs-Display.

I can add those #s to the new Non-Concert transpose button, so that its more convenient, and shows text (on a sub menu) like Capo Fret 1, Capo Fret 2

that would be great Peter!!

... in fact, when I saw the non-concert transpose feature, the first thing that entered my mind was the potential for adding CAPO transpositions for people who want the chord sheet to follow their capo chords even though the song is actually playing in a different key.

THANK-YOU-O-METER
0__________/_a million
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Entering guitar chords with capo - 12/09/12 08:50 PM
In case you hadn't thought about it, the transpose feature of BIAB is also tremendously helpful to horn players playing transposing instruments. I use not only the common Bb, Eb and F but also A (piccolo trumpet) and G (alto flute).
Posted By: JohnJohnJohn Re: Entering guitar chords with capo - 12/09/12 10:04 PM
Quote:

Hi John,

Peter,

Thank you very much for the response!

Unless I misunderstood, a major problem with this approach is this setting is not song-specific rather it changes BIAB for all songs unless and until you change it back. I would rather have something that is stored with the song. For example,

Song #1 is key of C so I'd just leave capo setting to nothing
Song #2 is in the key of E but I'm playing it with capo at 4 so I can use C/G/Am/F chord forms

So when I load these songs I'd have to remember to change the setting every time and I'd have to remember what the setting should be for each because it is not stored with the song. This seems a lot more complicated than just transposing, editing and transposing again.

My suggestion is to add a capo option right beside the key dropdown. I would select my concert key, then my capo position. For song #2 above I would select key of E and capo position of 4 then I would enter C/G/Am/F chord forms but when played it would transpose to E/B/C#m/A on the fly. If I changed my capo setting the key would change accordingly and the playback would be in the new key but my chords would still display as C/G/Am/F.

I dunno, the more I think about this the more complicated it seems it would be for you to add this feature and make it intuitively obvious as to how it works. Maybe the best thing is to hit the transpose button, edit and then hit it again. Easier to understand what it is I'm doing!
Posted By: DrDan Re: Entering guitar chords with capo - 12/09/12 10:31 PM
Effort better spend learning your instrument.

BIAB Ultraplus pak - $399, mastering your instrument - priceless.
Posted By: Mac Re: Entering guitar chords with capo - 12/10/12 12:33 AM
Band in a Box has many different users who have many differing skillsets and many different users who are at various stages of musicianship and accomplishment.

One of the many uses for this marvelous program is the use of it as a learning tool.

Another of the many use possibilities is simply the desire to streamline a certain operation for ease of use.

Then there all the music teachers out there, using BB as a teaching aid.

Asking for a bit better Capo routine is certainly a valid request in my opinion and does not deserve a snarky comment pertaining to someone's supposed music abilities.

--Mac
Posted By: JohnJohnJohn Re: Entering guitar chords with capo - 12/10/12 12:40 AM
Quote:

Effort better spend learning your instrument.

A musician more accomplished than you might suggest the same thing to you regarding your use of BIAB!
Posted By: DrDan Re: Entering guitar chords with capo - 12/10/12 12:42 AM
Quote:

...does not deserve a snarky comment pertaining to someone's supposed music abilities.

--Mac

Wow, ...never my intention, actually I felt it was an apropriate friendly encouragment from one guitarist to another to master a fundemental aspect of the fretboard.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Entering guitar chords with capo - 12/10/12 12:44 AM
Quote:

A musician more accomplished than you might suggest the same thing to you regarding your use of BIAB!

Jeeze, is it pick on Dan day here or just a misunderstood comment.
Posted By: JohnJohnJohn Re: Entering guitar chords with capo - 12/10/12 12:55 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Jeeze, is it pick on Dan day here or just a misunderstood comment.

No one was picking on you Dan...just reacting to you!
Posted By: Mac Re: Entering guitar chords with capo - 12/10/12 12:57 AM
By now you ought to know how a written comment on a forum can sound to others, Dan.

--Mac
Posted By: DrDan Re: Entering guitar chords with capo - 12/10/12 01:05 AM
Quote:

No one was picking on you Dan...just reacting to you!

Reacting, OK that sounds a little more polite. I can appreciate that. Thanks for clarifing.

Actually, JJJ I was following your thoughts when you said, "... the more I think about this the more complicated it seems it would be for you to add this feature and make it intuitively obvious as to how it works."

I have worked with a capo charts within BAIB for a long time and found BIAB already handles the transpostion well. Unfortunately, my two-cents on the topic didn't come across as I intended. Nuff said by me.
Posted By: FB Re: Entering guitar chords with capo - 12/10/12 10:45 AM
Hello,
Thanks. I've learned music theory with a piano when I was a kid and it's a little bit far!
The chords that I've mentioned are the intro.
For example, the first verse is: F#m A, E Bm, F#m A, E Bsus2 with capo on the second fret and the last chorus is chord is A C#m G D, A C#m G, D Bm E Bm E and a Bm at the end.
If I follow you, the song could be written in the key of Am? Or D? I'm lost!
That's possible, but I feel it strange.
In this case, I'll check the Am key before entering the transposed chords or check the Bm, enter the chords not transposed and then, change the key for Am in BIAB?
Lot of thanks for your help.
FB
Posted By: Joseph Land Re: Entering guitar chords with capo - 12/10/12 02:23 PM
I for one agree with JohnJohnJohn. Not everyone who uses a capo on a daily basis plays a guitar. I for one play bluegrass banjo and while the band may sing the song in Bb instead of G, I cannot tune the banjo to Bb otherwise I would be changing strings every song due to breakage. Instead I capo 3 and play out of G, the natural tuning for a bluegrass banjo for the large percentage of bluegrass songs.

When I teach beginning bluegrass banjo, I do not expect my students to be able to transpose from a song traditionally played in Bb into G when they are still just learning the basic rolls.

The ability to 'capo' so the songs at the correct pitch while still displaying the chords as if there was no capo is a long overdue addition to BIAB, especially if it can be song specific after you save it so the parameter loads each time the saved song is loaded. If I can pull up say Salt Creek, a typical beginning bluegrass song, have it play in the traditional key of A while displaying the chords in G would be absolutely great.

The tabbing program TablEdit has had that ability since it was written years ago simply by checking a small box in the options that say Capo Doesn't Affect Notation and it works great.

Let's see this in BIAB in the near future as an upgrade.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Entering guitar chords with capo - 12/10/12 02:44 PM
Quote:

If I can pull up say Salt Creek, a typical beginning bluegrass song, have it play in the traditional key of A while displaying the chords in G would be absolutely great.

BIAB has done this for years. Simply enter chords in Key of G then change Key to A, and when it asks do you want to transpose chords, say no. Chords will remain displayed in G but tune will play in A. Have you tried that?
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Entering guitar chords with capo - 12/10/12 03:06 PM
Quote:

Quote:

If I can pull up say Salt Creek, a typical beginning bluegrass song, have it play in the traditional key of A while displaying the chords in G would be absolutely great.

BIAB has done this for years. Simply enter chords in Key of G then change Key to A, and when it asks do you want to transpose chords, say no. Chords will remain displayed in G but tune will play in A. Have you tried that?

I just tried it -- but the actual song doesn't seem to be changing key in the background. So it displays C, I say change key the to Eb, but no to transpose chords -- the playback sounds unchanged. (Do you have to stop and re-gen?)
Posted By: JohnJohnJohn Re: Entering guitar chords with capo - 12/10/12 03:08 PM
Dan, did you actually try this? I just entered chords in C (C/F/Am/G) and confirmed it plays in key of C. Then I transposed to E and said no to transpose chords as you suggested. Chords still show as C/F/Am/G. But when I play it it still plays in the key of C.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Entering guitar chords with capo - 12/10/12 03:14 PM
Quote:

Dan, did you actually try this? I just entered chords in C (C/F/Am/G) and confirmed it plays in key of C. Then I transposed to E and said no to transpose chords as you suggested. Chords still show as C/F/Am/G. But when I play it it still plays in the key of C.

Well, today being Monday I am on the Day Job, so no access to BIAB, but... I am sure this works as stated. It is one of those old standard BIAB tricks. And regarding regen, I think you always have to do that when a change is made.
Posted By: Mac Re: Entering guitar chords with capo - 12/10/12 03:32 PM
Transposition feature is one of the few things where we do not have to Regenerate a songfile in order for the results to happen, Dan.

But there are also different ways to Transpose inside BiaB and that can confuse.

Changing the main Key Signature block to another key and clicking "No" when prompted in the little window would leave all chords and note entries exactly like they were displayed in the original key. This feature is handy when you load a songfile that, for whatever reason, was saved with the wrong key signature selected. Quite a few user songfiles that people can download for free seem to have this problem, someone laid out a song in say, Eb, played in a Melody track, etc. but didn't bother to change the Keysig block before saving, most of these will still show the default key of C but at playback will obviously be playing a different key. That "No" checkbox is good for correcting such files when encounterd.

There is another Transpose feature in BiaB, though. Found under the Prefs -> Transpose OR when in Notation View->Options, this one is for viewing notes and chordnames of a song when you are playing an instrument that is not referenced to key of Concert C.

For example, the Bb Trumpet or the Eb Alto Saxophone, where the written C for the Trumpet sounds as a Concert pitch Bb, or the written C for the Alto sax is really a Concert Eb.

As for the Capo procedure, I'm here to tell you that it really could stand a bit of operational simplifying for the user.

And it looks like Peter has already indicated that implementation of that simpler routine is forthcoming. That really would be a good thing IMO, having used BB to teach I'd love ANY feature that would make the generation of charts for the kids to use to practice my examples easier to do. And faster. Without gettng confused in the heat of time issues and the like.

Not all people who enjoy playing the guitar want to go through the process it takes to become a thoroughly CAGED guitarist, after all, and the sheer accessibility of the guitar comes into play here.

The guitar is one of the easiest instruments to pick up and get rather instant results with only a small amount of practice and rote memorization of a few chord shapes, some have a lot of fun and satisfaction from that standpoint and others will eventually dig deeper, wishing to learn the theory of chord construction, scales, modes, etc. -- but the folks who wish to be, well, "folks" in the sense of Folk Musics, and I think there are and should be quite a few who can also discover and use Band in a Box as well, could benefit by having that simplified CAPO adjustment routine. And when and if you stop to think about it, the streamlining of the operation will likely prove to be an asset for the seasoned pros as well.

--Mac
Posted By: JohnJohnJohn Re: Entering guitar chords with capo - 12/10/12 03:39 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Well, today being Monday I am on the Day Job, so no access to BIAB, but... I am sure this works as stated. It is one of those old standard BIAB tricks. And regarding regen, I think you always have to do that when a change is made.

I'll be curious to hear back from you after you try this. I have 2012.5 and it does NOT work as you described.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Entering guitar chords with capo - 12/10/12 03:44 PM
Quote:

As for the Capo procedure, I'm here to tell you that it really could stand a bit of operational simplifying for the user. --Mac

I do stand corrected. Not only are my eyes and ears going but also a bit of my memory. Sorry for the confusion guys.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Entering guitar chords with capo - 12/10/12 08:07 PM
I tried the procedure Peter suggested, and it worked (Song played in the same key, but the chord sheet changed by the -2 that I entered. )

I wonder if this is new, because in the past when this topic was discussed, I came away with the understanding that the chords in NOTATION view could be changed, but I never found a way at that time to change the main chord sheet without also changing the pitch of the song.

It may have just been added in order to accommodate the non-concert pitch transpositions.. I notice that when I use the new "non-concert pitch" transformation listbox, the value it sets gets inserted in OPT>PREFERENCES>DISPLAY>TRANSPOSE

Although you could manually add ANY number to this input box, the non-concert pitch listbox is just an interface that is pre-coded with some common transpositions. Apparently, what Peter is going to do is add more hard-coded options to the list box so we can visually pick "CAPO-2" or whatever...

But the real capability already exists to do what we're talking about.

The only problem, as has already been noted, is that it is not a song-specific change... it changes ALL songs, not just the current song in which you may be using a capo
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Entering guitar chords with capo - 12/10/12 08:48 PM
Pat, this is not new. I've been transposing the notation in BIAB without changing the pitch for many, many years. In fact, we periodically see users in the forum who have accidentally turned on the notation transposition and are confused, as there are two different approaches to transposition in BIAB: notation and pitch.

I agree, I think what's being proposed is just to make it clearer to a user of a capo. Right now, the transpose is geared toward instrumentalists who play transposing instruments, but it has always been possible to enter whatever number of pitches is needed.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Entering guitar chords with capo - 12/10/12 08:53 PM
Quote:

Pat, this is not new. I've been transposing the notation without changing the pitch for many, many years.

I think what's being proposed is just to make it clearer to a user of a capo. Right now, the transpose is geared toward instrumentalists who play transposing instruments, but it has always been possible to enter whatever number of pitches is needed.

thanks Matt. I wasn't clear about that.
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: Entering guitar chords with capo - 12/10/12 09:15 PM
>>> Right now, the transpose is geared toward instrumentalists who play transposing instruments, but it has always been possible to enter whatever number of pitches is needed.

Correct. With the next version (next build, don't know when that will be out), I've added additional menus to the Visual Tranpose button, to make it easy to select these transpositions by "Capo". Also by "Tuning Down (to low Eb)" - that way if the guitar is tuned down to Eb, he can still see chords and notation like E, but the music gets transposed to Eb.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Entering guitar chords with capo - 12/10/12 09:18 PM
Cool.

I'm not a guitarist, but don't many of them play in DADGAD or similar, tuning the low E string to D? In other words, wouldn't they want you do D as well as Eb?
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: Entering guitar chords with capo - 12/10/12 09:24 PM
Yes, you can "tune down" from 1 to 8 semitones. Although there are other ways to do this, this also sets (internally) a "GuitarCapo" variable, and there might be other things to do with that in the future (such as making the guitar fretboard avoid notes that are lower than the capo for example.
Posted By: Flatfoot Re: Entering guitar chords with capo - 12/10/12 10:06 PM
Last night I was playing with a 'just for fun' group of friends. We had banjo, fiddle, guitars and ukulele. All were beginner level except for me. The guitars used capos. I used a capo on my banjo fr a different reason (as explained above.) The others did not use capos.

My friends were not particularly interested in learning the ins and outs of transposing. They don't really have a strong grasp of what it means to be in the "key of c" or why that is different fronm the "key of G." Mostly they are thinking of one chord at a time.

They just want to have fun.

Thinking about what they would need, I visualize a graphic of a guitar neck. Perhaps the existing guitar-neck animation window could be adapted. There would be a bar across the strings representing the capo. The user could slide the bar up and down with the mouse and see the shape of a C chord move with it. A window labeled "original chord" and "new chord" mght show "C" and "Eb" respectively when the bar gets to the 3d fret. Another window would show "original key" and "new key." Then the new chords would show on the chord sheet, but the key would not change. Perhaps the new chords could have a little subscript '3' or something.

Over time this would be a learning tool. The user would gradualy gain a sense of what transposition is all about.
Posted By: Flatfoot Re: Entering guitar chords with capo - 12/10/12 10:13 PM
>>>>....I'm not a guitarist, but don't many of them play in DADGAD or similar, tuning the low E string to D? In other words, wouldn't they want you do D as well as Eb?...>>>

DADGAD is an alternate tuning. Not the same as capoing. The isea is that the open strings sound different from fretted strings. The first such alternate is DGDGBD. This makes a G major chord on the open strings. It has a very nice resonant, full sound. Banjos and steel guitars use tunings of this kind, but the reason and the usage are a bit more sophistcated than just changing key.

The guitar animation already has options for a number of these alternate tunings. If you can get your hands on a guitar, try them out. Its a lot of fun. Kinda like playing on the black keys.
Posted By: JohnJohnJohn Re: Entering guitar chords with capo - 12/10/12 10:24 PM
Quote:

>>> Right now, the transpose is geared toward instrumentalists who play transposing instruments, but it has always been possible to enter whatever number of pitches is needed.

Correct. With the next version (next build, don't know when that will be out), I've added additional menus to the Visual Tranpose button, to make it easy to select these transpositions by "Capo". Also by "Tuning Down (to low Eb)" - that way if the guitar is tuned down to Eb, he can still see chords and notation like E, but the music gets transposed to Eb.

This sounds very interesting Peter! Will it be song-specific so the setting is stored with the song or will it change every song as it does now?
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Entering guitar chords with capo - 12/10/12 10:48 PM
I would vote for global instead of song-specific, or else I can see myself getting very confused. I have instruments in six different tunings. It's easiest to always reference concert pitch and adjust from there.
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Entering guitar chords with capo - 12/10/12 11:15 PM
Global settings for a "capo" doesn't sound like a user friendly approach. It should be on a song by song basis.
Posted By: JohnJohnJohn Re: Entering guitar chords with capo - 12/10/12 11:33 PM
I agree with Kevin. If this would be intended to function like a capo the only thing that makes sense is song by song. But maybe there are two features here?
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Entering guitar chords with capo - 12/10/12 11:47 PM
on a song by song basis, couldn't a person...

1) transpose, get it the way he wants it,
2) then freeze all the tracks
3) then set transpose back to zero
4) and finally put the chords wherever you want them

As long as you don't regenerate, this should make the occasional capo song show the chords you want without changing all other songs (which would be problematic if you were using JUKE box on a gig)

If I were using Juke box on a gig, I would probably have "special " songs frozen anyway.

anyway, we could do this now, without any program changes
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Entering guitar chords with capo - 12/11/12 12:18 AM
The trick is to look at the yellow caution message reminding you a global transposition is in effect. If you want this to be saved song by song, then be sure to complete the Memo field.
Posted By: FB Re: Entering guitar chords with capo - 12/12/12 10:15 AM
Hello,
I'm still confused. I know the effect of capo on guitar.
But, first, I don't remember how to find the correct key for this piece of music starting from the guitar chords. If someone would give me a little lesson about that it will help me for the beginning.
The second point is that I would like to keep the chords with capo on the second fret for the guitar track. Because, if I play a D with capo on 2nd fret, counting -2, it is a C but it doesn't sounds the same!
How to say to BIAB that I don't want the "classical" C chord for that track only but an other?
Thanks for your help.
FB
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Entering guitar chords with capo - 12/12/12 12:07 PM
Quote:

Hello,
I'm still confused. I know the effect of capo on guitar.
But, first, I don't remember how to find the correct key for this piece of music starting from the guitar chords. If someone would give me a little lesson about that it will help me for the beginning.
The second point is that I would like to keep the chords with capo on the second fret for the guitar track. Because, if I play a D with capo on 2nd fret, counting -2, it is a C but it doesn't sounds the same!
How to say to BIAB that I don't want the "classical" C chord for that track only but an other?
Thanks for your help.
FB

if your capo is on the 2nd fret, and the 1st position chord you are playing would normally be a "D" without the capo, then you are actually playing an E chord because the capo raises the pitch of what you're playing 2 frets (a whole step)

The number you enter in OPT>PREFERENCES>DISPLAY>TRANSPOSE (-2) is basically saying that the chord sheet will show the chords 2 frets lower than the actual key of the song. If you move the CAPO UP this number goes DOWN by the same value.

Hope that explanation answers the question you wanted answered. If not, keep asking. We're patient.

PS: The actual key of the song has more to do with the sharps and flats that are required for the melody than it has to do with the chords...but as a general rule, the last chord in the song often indicates the key of the song.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Entering guitar chords with capo - 12/12/12 03:17 PM
Quote:

if your capo is on the 2nd fret, and the 1st position chord you are playing would normally be a "D" without the capo, then you are actually playing an E chord because the capo raises the pitch of what you're playing 2 frets (a whole step)

The number you enter in OPT>PREFERENCES>DISPLAY>TRANSPOSE (-2) is basically saying that the chord sheet will show the chords 2 frets lower than the actual key of the song. If you move the CAPO UP this number goes DOWN by the same value.

FB, the key words in Pat’s explanation is “the actual key of the song”. Using the D fingering with the capo on the second fret example if you want to hear that E chord but want to see a D chord on the chord sheet you must input the song in the concert pitch chords or as Pat said the actual chords you are hearing. Then you can use the –2 transposition option to see the D chord but hear the E chord.

Good luck
© PG Music Forums