PG Music Home
using biab 2011. would like to learn a guitar solo but it plays too dang fast. i think there should be a way to record it into biab (using record audio), mute the other tracks ( bass, piano . . . etc) and then slow it down on the PB and see the notes that are sounded in correct sequence in the guitar window. I can record the
guitar solo into biab and hear it on the PB (with everything else muted) BUT when i switch over to the guitar window i cannot see the notes being played. what do i need to do to see the guitar notes displayed on the fretboard ? i've diligently searched HELP, the tutorials, and my owners manual. i can't find anything that tells me step by step what you need to do to see the notes being played on the fretboard.

ANY HELP APP. i don't mind doing the homework- if someone could just refer me to where i need to be looking in the BIAB resources.

many tks
5string
I am away from my computer at the moment, so I only remember these commands in a ganeral way.

Stop the playback and try the keys on the numberpad - numpad left, numpad right, page up page down, etc. These keys move to the next chord, next note, etc.

Also, try highlighting any four bars on the chordheet screen. Press the LOOP button and the 4 bars will play over and over. Click twice on the TEMPO button and slow down the tempo as much as you want.
Open the Guitar fretboard view and note the STEP arrows near the bottom that allow you to step through beat by beat. This is great because you control when it moves to the next event, so that you can take as much time as needed to figure out the fingering, etc.

Once you've gotten it down a bit, use the Tempo spinner to slow the song down such that you can follow along with your practicing regimen, gradually speeding that Tempo back up to the original speed as you progress. The PRACTICE window has a feature that will do that automatically to the Tempo as well.

--Mac
Sounds like OP is working with an Audio file, not a midi file. So viewing notes on a fretboard is not an option? Unless, I am missing something here.
Like jazzmandan, I think the OP said he wants to record guitar into an audio track, but isn't there a better way to do what he wants by recording the guitar into MIDI? For you guitarists, does that require a separate pickup and MIDI circuit, or is there some sort of conversion box? Or is there such a thing as a MIDI guitar (the equivalent of a wind controller for the horn players)?
Quote:

Like jazzmandan, I think the OP said he wants to record guitar into an audio track, but isn't there a better way to do what he wants by recording the guitar into MIDI? For you guitarists, does that require a separate pickup and MIDI circuit, or is there some sort of conversion box? Or is there such a thing as a MIDI guitar (the equivalent of a wind controller for the horn players)?

Yes, there is all of that, but recording a solo from Audio to midi via a midi guitar or a midi guitar VST - which is discussed in other sections of the forum, requires you to "play" the solo. There are applications which will slow down audio while maintaining pitch to help in transcription, but BIAB is not it. Also there allplication which take Audio to midi directly (Melodyne for example) but there versitility is limited.
You can do it as follows.

File-Open the WAV file. It will now be on the audio track. Play the file, and as you play, you can slow down the track (by any of the tempo commands). Ctrl - will slow it down by half, and Ctrl = will resume to normal.

(menu item - play - tempo - also has menu items for 1/4 speed and 1/8 speed)

Note: This doesn't transcribe it for you, or show the notes. Also, the tempo slowdown only works for audio when there are no tempo changes programmed into the song.
many tks 4 replies
you are correct in that i am working with an audio file (not midi) and in order to view it in the guitar window and use the step feature i would need it to be in midi. i've even thought of trying to convert the audio file to midi but, even if i could there's a prob
there because the solo is not isolated from the accompanying instruments that are playing with it.
this would be a super cool NEW FEATURE for the next BIAB version. (hope you're monitoring this MR. G )

Tks again for the help, guys

5string
© PG Music Forums