PG Music Home
Posted By: percy midi tempo - 10/31/14 01:30 PM
Hello All,

I had a keyboard player lay down some tracks for me on his midi keyboard.

He was either drunk, stoned, or both, and didn't use a metronome or a click track. lol. As such, the tempos are all over the place. The tracks are unusable and he's left town.

Seems I now need something like Logic Pro or another sophisticated midi editor to time-shift the midi data.

I did use the ACW to tap in the tempo and it works surprisingly well; however, I do prefer working with the original midi data.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Percy
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: midi tempo - 10/31/14 02:21 PM
Hey Percy,

Try using the midi chord wizard to tempo map the midi instead of the audio chord wizard.
Posted By: percy Re: midi tempo - 10/31/14 05:42 PM
Hello Jim,

Thanks for the quick response.

There are quite a number of midi wizards in BB. It seems the midi chord wizard detects the chords and notation but doesn't offer the ACW capability to tap in the desired tempo.

You think it would, unless I'm mistaken. There is a way to change tempo by a factor of 1/4 or 1/8, but won't work in my situation.

Percy
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: midi tempo - 10/31/14 06:31 PM
I think I misunderstood your intent. I thought you wanted to create a tempo map by following the tempo of previously input midi. It seems from your most recent response you want to create a tempo map by tapping tempo while midi is in playback mode. I may be wrong but I don't think any of the midi wizards will do that. Perhaps someone else knows otherwise and will respond.
Posted By: solidrock Re: midi tempo - 10/31/14 09:45 PM
Can you open it in Realband ? then you can sync it or quantize it.
Posted By: percy Re: midi tempo - 10/31/14 10:17 PM
Hey Solidrock,

I tried quantizing the track in RB w/o much success. The track was too far gone.

Looked up sync in RB Help and this could be helpful. Seems very complicated, but will check into it this weekend.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Percy
Posted By: MarioD Re: midi tempo - 10/31/14 10:38 PM
I am somewhat confused.

Percy, are you trying to create a tempo map by using the original MIDI track? Or are you trying to take that track and turn it into one steady tempo?
Posted By: rharv Re: midi tempo - 10/31/14 11:22 PM
Quote:
I did use the ACW to tap in the tempo and it works surprisingly well; however, I do prefer working with the original midi data.

Once you 'send it back' to RB/BB you already do have the original data (adjusted) for the MIDI that matches the new Tempo map. The 'merge to audio' along the way is temporary and the MIDI is adjusted/kept.

So then 'Save As' then keep on working.
Posted By: percy Re: midi tempo - 10/31/14 11:44 PM
Hello Mario,

I'm getting ready for a gig, but I best explain again.

I'm working on some Cajun tunes and have given up on any BB Cajun RTs or Cajun styles.

So what I did was hire this keyboard player (who plays Cajun accordion)
to play the accordion parts on his midi keyboard. He was given the charts and tempos.

The other night he was smashed and forgot to use a metronome. I wasn't at the recording session.

The track sounds great but speeds up to where it's unusable to import into BB.

So my objective was to arrange, e.g. Fais Do Do in BB and then open his midi file in the Soloist track. Tempo is 145 bpm in BB, but he never played in tempo.

As mentioned above, the ACW works great, but would like to have his midis in tempo.

Hope this is clear.

Percy
Posted By: MarioD Re: midi tempo - 11/01/14 12:39 AM
I might be able to help. Can you send me this MIDI file?

I'll PM my email address.

No promises but I'll try.
Posted By: rharv Re: midi tempo - 11/01/14 02:18 PM
Percy,
Open his MID file in either BB or Realband.
Run it through the ACW to get the correct tempo map for his MIDI to line up with.

THEN change the tempo of the MIDI file after everything lines up.
Remove all tempo changes and set tempo to desired tempo.
Use Save AS to preserve the original MID file.

Import the new adjusted file into your project.
Posted By: percy Re: midi tempo - 11/01/14 04:12 PM
Hello All,

Thanks for the new suggestions which I'll go over shortly.

I received a call a little while ago from the studio I worked with. The recording engineer informed me that the keyboard player they hired for me had an adverse reaction to some medication he was taking.

He should have been home in bed- not at a recording session. When he's up and around again, he'll make good with another session.

Mario,

Thanks for your generous offer to look at the file. I'll wait and see what happens after the next session when the poor guy is well and uses a metronome. lol

Bob,

The method you detailed will come in handy. Over the years, I've found a number of Cajun accordion-only files, but they always seemed to be played free-form, if that's the right expression. I'll check back when I have some results with the aforementioned files.

Percy
Posted By: Wyndham Re: midi tempo - 11/01/14 04:18 PM
Am I missing something? ACW does not work on midi files, for me.
Do you mean to convert mid to wav then acw for tempo change?
I've been wondering about standardizing tempo for a midi file for the same reason as the OP.
Thanks Wyndham
Posted By: percy Re: midi tempo - 11/01/14 05:51 PM
Hello Wyndham,

Midi files do need to be converted to audio to open in the ACW as you stated.

I'm going to follow up on Bob's (Rharv) suggestions some time this weekend.

I'm sure he'll clarify.

Percy
Posted By: rharv Re: midi tempo - 11/01/14 05:53 PM
Also In RB -
Track - Align Music to Click

Depending on need, may be better solution.
Posted By: Wyndham Re: midi tempo - 11/01/14 06:13 PM
Just thought I'd missed something, not as well versed in bb as I'd like to be.
Wyndham
Posted By: solidrock Re: midi tempo - 11/10/14 10:51 PM
Originally Posted By: percy
...I'm working on some Cajun tunes and have given up on any BB Cajun RTs or Cajun styles. So what I did was hire this keyboard player (who plays Cajun accordion)
to play the accordion parts on his midi keyboard.
Percy

Frank (seeker) made some Cajun Accordion tracks:
UserTracks List Piano #80 #83 & Fiddle > Strings #90 #91
Posted By: percy Re: midi tempo - 11/10/14 11:23 PM

I'll check them out.

Thanks for the heads up.

Percy
© PG Music Forums