PG Music Home
Hi
I'm working on a classic C&W song and at the end of many of the 4 bar "blocks" there is a walking Bass line - see Bars 6 and 10 as example. It occurs throughout.
The problem for me is that I only want the BASS to Walk - not the PIANO as well. What seems to be happening is that the walked notes play on the Bass and the Piano plays them too, which is overkill.
Is there anyway to write them so that ONLY the Bass plays them?
All help greatly appreciated.

cheers
Ian
Some combination of freezing tracks could do it. For example, play the song without slash chords. Freeze all tracks except bass. Add the slash chords, play again.
I would think that you would need to find a piano part (RT or MIDI) that doesn't play in the bass clef, then. Otherwise, the track is going to follow what the chord grid tells it to do, along with whatever is programmed in the style/Realtrack for that piano part.

But it seems to me that if the piano uses bass clef, even if it doesn't walk, you're still going to get the bass root along with the walking bass, which may not be what you want either.
John makes a good point. I'm not a pianist, but it might be that a piano doubling the walking bass could be bad, but a piano playing bass notes NOT doubling the walking bass is worse.
Not sure if this is another way, but if you right-click > Chord Settings (or Alt-F5) and only select instruments except the piano?

Attached picture 2015-02-10_04-13-23.jpg
Hi VT - tried your solution. I gave what I wanted but was too "aggressive" in the "weedy" C&W song I'm doing, so I went with the other solution of freezing all tracks except the Piano, removing the walking Bass chords from the sheet and saving the re-gened Piano track. Then, just in case, I saved the new file with a slightly different title.
Thank you for the help guys.
Ian
Great Ian

I really did think Matt's suggestion was probably the best way. I was just trying to offer an alternative to try, but I too thought this might have been ambitious, especially with a slower tempo.

Glad you got the outcome you were seeking!

Best
Trevor
Hi
Thanks for the help.Appreciated so much.
It worked!! smile
I cant post this on Showcase because its an existing tune from 1967 but for those interested as to how it worked out - here is the link to "Today I Started Loving You Again" played as an Instrumental.
http://app.box.com/s/hmgwxe7utui201armepo65ztlyrybbqu
TODAY I STARTED LOVING YOU AGAIN
That sounded fantastic!

I really liked your tone on this one and your playing technique is top shelf also!
Originally Posted By: sixchannel
Hi
Thanks for the help.Appreciated so much.
It worked!! smile
I cant post this on Showcase because its an existing tune from 1967 but for those interested as to how it worked out - here is the link to "Today I Started Loving You Again" played as an Instrumental.
http://app.box.com/s/hmgwxe7utui201armepo65ztlyrybbqu
TODAY I STARTED LOVING YOU AGAIN

Dude - killer tone. I need details please. Guitar, amp, etc. If I had to guess I'd say a Strat through a Twin or a Twin emulator. Am I close?

Regards,

Bob
Hi Bob
Thank you for your comment - much appreciated.
Your so right - Verse 1 is with a hand built Alan Brason Strat with Kinman FV pups in, set on neck+bridge (nice combination!). Run through a Joyo JF-13 "AC Tone" Vox emulator pedal. Echo / delay from an old Alesis Q2.
Verse 2 is a very old Charvel-Jackson electro-acoustic with strings lifted so it can be used as a lap steel. Direct to DAW, reverb effects from DAW only.
Verse 3 is a specially built Strat made for Lap Steel - a "Steelocaster" (lol) - again through Joyo and Alesis.
All infills / harmonies are with the Brason Strat.
HTH
Ian
Originally Posted By: sixchannel
Hi Bob
Thank you for your comment - much appreciated.
Your so right - Verse 1 is with a hand built Alan Brason Strat with Kinman FV pups in, set on neck+bridge (nice combination!). Run through a Joyo JF-13 "AC Tone" Vox emulator pedal. Echo / delay from an old Alesis Q2.
Verse 2 is a very old Charvel-Jackson electro-acoustic with strings lifted so it can be used as a lap steel. Direct to DAW, reverb effects from DAW only.
Verse 3 is a specially built Strat made for Lap Steel - a "Steelocaster" (lol) - again through Joyo and Alesis.
All infills / harmonies are with the Brason Strat.
HTH
Ian

Ian,

I only got half of it right. I missed the Vox - sounded "Fenderey" to me. grin
You got some mad tone man. And some fine gear.

Makes me think.... I have an old Squire Bullet Strat I got at a garage sale (boot sale to you) cool that I always wanted to set up as a lap steel.

Nice tune, well played and recorded.

Regards,

Bob
I, too, love that tone. But then again, I am partial to the Fender and Vox type sounds anyway. The Joyo AC-Tone is on my wish list for the pedal board when I'm doing old school stuff because it truly sounds great.

I also use a Line6 Pod XT Live and the three patches I use most are based on a Vox AC-30TB. One is a clean tone, another is a crunch for rhythms and then a third patch yields an overdriven lead tone. Each patch's tone just kills no matter what guitar signal you feed it. It's hard to to go wrong with a Vox sound in my humble opinion.

David
© PG Music Forums