PG Music Home
I have loaded the win 10 technical preview. BB starts up with the missing soundfont error. However, when I press play, the real tracks load and the real drums load and then I hear an error sound and the program just hangs permanently. I have tried win compatability settings but no go.

Any suggestions?

I'm running on an ACER W700 using ssd with bb on E: drive and using win 10 tech preview
When I get back home, I'll give it a try on my laptop that is running the Windows 10 preview. I like Windows 10 so far; I just haven't tried loading BIAB on it.

[My Toshiba laptop's hard drive died, so I replaced it with a SSD and just at that time, Windows 10 preview was released, so that's my test machine, with no production duties on this machine.]
That's great, Matt. Will you be running on external drive too like I do?

Allanah
UHOH!!!!

I ran the compatability assistant. It tells me that bb is an incompatible program with this version of windows.

I don't know why it is considered incompatible, but it will not work for me on build 9926 of the tech preview.

Allanah
Hi Alanna,
Was this a fresh install of win 10 or an upgrade?
I just tried installing BIAB on my Windows 10 64-bit laptop, which has a fresh install of Windows (not an upgrade). BIAB installs OK but then the problems start:

no GM.DLS sound font
Access Violation (even when I restarted and said not to make file associations)
some quick error message about Coyote (which I didn't select)
Wrong sample rate

Trying to Play gives the 'white freeze - not responding'.

I tried some compatibility settings, no change.

If it helps, I can take more time and give a more thorough report. But for now, it does seem as if it isn't going to work.
..... and didn't even dare to try Windows 8.1 yet:

- F
No problems with BIAB and Win 8.1 here, only those caused by me!
Right, it's fine in Windows 8.1.
The question would be, does the file gm.dls exist in your Win10 Windows folder anywhere?

Searching for a file in Windows folder can be tricky, as it seems that Windows Search doesn't work in certain folders, I'm not sure why.

So you should manually look for gm.dls in these locations, or similar names if they have renamed them for Windows 10
These are the locations that the file is found on Windows 7

C:\Windows\System32\drivers
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\drivers

C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-audio-mmecore-other_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_8cd41e2771e37717
( sometimes inside another folder like amd64 in C:\Windows\winsxs\ )

If you do find that gm.dls file, move it to the folders like C:\Windows\SysWOW64\drivers or C:\Windows\System32\drivers and see if things improve.

See this posting from answers.microsoft.com.
Thanks John, Good find.
It took me a few minutes to find that file. It was not anywhere in my Windows 8.1 drive. I finally found it (as this thread says) in the Windows 7 drive, under C:\Windows\SysWOW64\drivers

Now I'll try BIAB again in Windows 10.
Hi Matt,
According to the post above from the microsoft.com forum, it was present on the Windows 10 drive

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_apps-insider_other/directmusic-in-windows-10/2a55ae1c-f234-4b87-a0ff-6524349909c3

“I did some more tinkering today, and I finally figured out what was wrong. Keeping in mind that I've been trying the 64-bit version, I happened to notice that unlike in Windows 7 & 8 64-bit, the file GM.DLS was missing from the "\Windows\SysWOW64\drivers" folder -- so I copied it over to there from the "\Windows\System32\drivers\" folder.”

Are you sure that it wasn't also present in Windows 10 in the \Windows\System32\drivers\" folder.
Yes, the file was in the Windows 10 machine under the \Windows\System32\drivers\" folder, but clearly it doesn't work from there.

I had already found one from Windows 7 (older but same file size) and put that in the Windows 10 machine under C:\Windows\SysWOW64\drivers

BIAB now works in Windows 10.

Thanks!

Let's hope Microsoft does indeed duplicate the file there in future versions.

Great! Thanks Matt, John and Alannah. We'll work on a fix for that.
© PG Music Forums