PG Music Home
My wife has a church hymn that is of the form 1 bar 4/4, followed by 1 bar 5/4 which repeats throughout the song. How do I code BIAB to change the signature from bar to bar?

I'm on BIAB v12 for MacIntosh

Art
BIAB does not at this time support 5/4 notation. You must emulate 5/4 with a measure of 3/4 followed by 2/4, or vice versa, or perhaps add a single bar of 1/4. Once you have made your decision how to do a two-bar phrase, you can replicate that pattern throughout the song.
Time signature changes are supported since BiaB 2005. Since the Mac version 12 is comparable to a BiaB Windows version 11 or 12, which were released some 2 or 3 years earlier, time sig changes are likely *not* supported by the current Mac version.
True, although time signatures of 5/4 or higher will be spread over two or three bars. Even in BIAB 2009, for 5/4, you will see bars of 3/4 then 2/4. If the new version of BIAB for Mac expected soon supports the same features as version 2009, it still will not have a time signature of 5/4.
Sorry, Matt, but not true. My BIAB plays 5/4 perfectly, and not over two bars, but within one. Realdrums play in 5/4, but the rest is midi.

Mike Laatz
Cape Town
Only with some specific styles and with botched notation.

Unfortunately BiaB does *not* support appropriate notation for compound time signatures - there must be thousands of pertinent entries in the wishlist by now.
That's interesting, Mike. Following up on what Martin said, it must be that the styles I normally use will not support 5/4 in the way you describe. I appreciate learning about the possibility in others, though.
The StylePicker window lists an entry 'Odd Time Signatures', mostly comprising styles from disk #38 and a few styles from other disks. Those styles usually play correctly with some compound time signatures. Notation would not be correct, though. Don't know how to wind up with an appropriate melody for s.th. like Take Five for BiaB.
© PG Music Forums