PG Music Home
Posted By: Kev T UK Customs charge on BIAB Flash Drive. - 12/07/18 08:36 PM
Hi BIAB Friends,

Does any BIAB user from UK know whether there is extra uk customs fee on BIAB flash drives and if so, what the charge might be please? I am contemplating getting the 2019 PLUSPAK upgrade , also 2019 49PAK and new Styles 6 upgrades and for backup purposes take advantage of the $5 flashdrive offer (if they will all fit on flashdrive) smile

Many thanks for any info you can give me.
If you have fast fibre and don't need to get everything then download is the best option, otherwise its nothing short of a rip off from the customs and courier handling charges that will be applied.

I got a few drives at start but simply not cost effective to do this any more.
Kev T

I got the 2018 update on flash drive with keychain last year and wasn't hit by customs.
It came in a fairly innocuous looking A5 size padded envelope, so may have just slipped through the net.

Vintage
Posted By: Kev T Re: UK Customs charge on BIAB Flash Drive. - 12/08/18 05:39 AM
Hi musiclover and Vintage.

Many thanks to both of you for the info. In view of your comments musiclover, I think I'll maybe just stick with the downloads only. I run BIAB from a 1 TB ext. drive but still have the original hard drive from PG which I have kept updated too so I'll use that as the backup.

Best wishes for Xmas!
Originally Posted By: Kev T
Hi BIAB Friends, Does any BIAB user from UK know whether there is extra uk customs fee on BIAB flash drives and if so, what the charge might be please? .....
To play it safe go for download. But the AP files are too large, so PG ships on a harddisk meaning local VAT plus standard import duties. Now i dunno about brexit, but that's in the EU. In Holland you usually don't face taxes unless the sender marks a small letter like parcel from ouside the EU with a certain (insurance) value and not as 'gift'. And yeah, customs are busy around xmas. A package might slip through their evil eye. Once i got lucky with two violins in cases sent from China marked as gift .... no taxes. F
Posted By: Kev T Re: UK Customs charge on BIAB Flash Drive. - 12/08/18 06:41 AM
Hi fiddler2007

Thanks also for that. Yes, I've been lucky and unlucky with imports in the past but often been stung for an unexpected surcharge frown
I'm in the UK and bought the ultrapak last year and will be buying much the same products as you are this year. i discovered that the BIAB download manager is wonderful and you can leave it running overnight. I've never been caught by customs on dvds in the past but would never do anything other than downloads now.

You won't need backups either as your files are always ready for download on your account page at PG Music
Posted By: Mike Head Re: UK Customs charge on BIAB Flash Drive. - 12/08/18 07:50 AM
Hi
I seem to recall that a friend of mine had to pay about £40 pounds on a BIAB hard drive in UK.

Mike
Posted By: Kev T Re: UK Customs charge on BIAB Flash Drive. - 12/08/18 11:43 AM
Many thanks Bob & Mike for your input.

Mike. I seem to recall this was the case when I first got BIAB ion a USB hard drive there was a £30 to £40 surcharge for customs but my (probably wishful) thinking was that a flash drive charge might be a good bit less based on the relatively lower cost of the flash.

Bob. Yes of course you're right. I'm probably giving myself more work than I need when the downloads are available from my account PGs website. I think my previous IT experience tells me that physical backups are desirable when sometimes they might not be entirely necessary. Presently downloading the upgrades to my main external HD and it's quite a lengthy process even with Infinity fibre. smile
Posted By: Graham Re: UK Customs charge on BIAB Flash Drive. - 12/08/18 04:03 PM
Originally Posted By: Kev T
Hi BIAB Friends,

Does any BIAB user from UK know whether there is extra uk customs fee on BIAB flash drives and if so, what the charge might be please? I am contemplating getting the 2019 PLUSPAK upgrade , also 2019 49PAK and new Styles 6 upgrades and for backup purposes take advantage of the $5 flashdrive offer (if they will all fit on flashdrive) smile

Many thanks for any info you can give me.

I got charged on the 2017 Version when I ordered it on a hard drive, think it was around £30.
Posted By: Kev T Re: UK Customs charge on BIAB Flash Drive. - 12/08/18 08:44 PM
Thanks Graham. Yeah I got stung on the hard drive too but this time around I was asking about duty on the flash drive.
© PG Music Forums