PG Music Home
Posted By: sierrabees Lost ability to open Band in a Box - 11/21/09 05:34 AM
I just downloaded a bb fakebook. My PowerTracs Pro was working perfectly before I downloaded the add on. After downloading and installing the new software my computer will not open bb or any program associated with it. It opens all other programs normally.
Posted By: Gary Curran Re: Lost ability to open Band in a Box - 11/21/09 06:36 AM
I guess the first question has to be, where did you download the software from?

Second question is, have you checked your anti-virus software to make sure it's up to date, running and working okay

Third, have you run an anti virus scan.

I don't know of any PROGRAM that is a fakebook. A fakebook would simply be a collection of files that you could open in Band In A Box, the .mgu, .sgu and other song files.

I suspect you got a virus, and a bad one.

Gary
Posted By: sierrabees Re: Lost ability to open Band in a Box - 11/21/09 06:51 AM
I downloaded directly from PG Music. My computer required me to disable my antivirus before it would download the file. Whatever happened didn't seem to effect any other programs. I am going to run my antivirus as soon as I send this.

thanks
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Lost ability to open Band in a Box - 11/21/09 07:39 AM
By "not opening BB or any program associated with it" do you mean: (a) that if you double-click on sgu, mgu or mgx files, they don't open up BB; or do you mean (b) that you can no longer get BB to start when you click the shortcut on the start menu? Also, have you tried going to the BB folder (probably C:\BB) and running the file bbw.exe to see if BB starts up?
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Lost ability to open Band in a Box - 11/21/09 01:44 PM
What fakebook did you download from PG Music? The Songs & Lessons Pak?
Posted By: sierrabees Re: Lost ability to open Band in a Box - 11/21/09 02:04 PM
Thanks for the input. I woke up this morning with an answer to my problem. It seems that I started out years ago with bb 8. I upgraded to bb 10 and then to bb 10 Pro. It seems that in order for me to put anything new into Band in a Box, I have to start by re-inputing bb8 and go back up through all the upgrades before it will take the new file and function properly. I went through all the disks this morning and the program is working fine.

I have one other problem. I recently purchased a laptop that runs on Windows 7. Is there a way to make the older Band in a Box programs compatable with the new Windows operating system? I tried to input them and get a message that Windows 7 cannot open the files.
Posted By: MartinB Re: Lost ability to open Band in a Box - 11/21/09 03:30 PM
Quote:

I have one other problem. I recently purchased a laptop that runs on Windows 7. Is there a way to make the older Band in a Box programs compatable with the new Windows operating system? I tried to input them and get a message that Windows 7 cannot open the files.

Some pertinent entries in the -> Technical Support FAQ may get you to second base.
Posted By: BarryKJ Re: Lost ability to open Band in a Box - 11/21/09 03:32 PM
I know this is easy for me to say because it is not my money I'm spending, but an upgrade of BIAB might be well overdue for you. I don't even have a clue as to how far back Version 10 was, but that is getting a bit old. New computer, new software. They kind of go together and I suspect that if you did upgrade to the latest version you would be impressed.
Re: Win 7 running the older files, you might try running them in compatibility mode. Best guess I can make.
Good luck.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Lost ability to open Band in a Box - 11/21/09 04:11 PM
BIAB version 10 was introduced in the end of the year 2000. That's even before Windows XP, so the XP compatibility mode of Windows 7 (and only available in the Pro and Ultimate editions, likely not on the laptop) is not the answer.

Chances are the fakebook you installed overwrote some part of that older version of BIAB. Reinstalling the old BIAB was the fix.

Sorry, but it really is time to upgrade. The differences since 2000 are staggering.
Posted By: Jazzman Re: Lost ability to open Band in a Box - 11/21/09 04:47 PM
Hi sierrabees

In Windows 7 Home Premium you can run any individual program in Windows 95 and Windows 98 compatibility mode as well

If you do not know how to do this just right click on either the BIAB icon or the bbw file and in the Compatibilty Tab choose Windows 98 - ok and then re-boot

If this does not work then an upgrade is the answer - it is worth it if you can afford

Sometimes when you re-install you have to make a fresh BIAB shortcut icon from the new bbw folder
jazzman
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Lost ability to open Band in a Box - 11/21/09 05:05 PM
Thanks for that info, Brian. It was my understanding that Windows 7's XP Compatibility mode is a fully licensed XP SP3 that can be downloaded for free but only if you have Windows 7 Pro, Enterprise or Ultimate editions.

I think you are talking about the Properties, Compatibility tab from the application shortcut that does allow you to choose from OS versions as far back as Windows 95. I find this odd, though, since I would not expect applications written for an OS before Windows 2000 to work under Vista or 7, but it's certainly worth a try.
Posted By: Jazzman Re: Lost ability to open Band in a Box - 11/21/09 06:45 PM
Hi Matt,

I agree it does sound odd but I have a Business Card application from Windows 98 and I tried it with the Compatibility mode set to W98 and it works

I feel sure that not all programs will work this way but as you say - it is worth a try - but the benefits of upgrading are enormous if the poster can afford it
jazzman
Posted By: Lawrie Re: Lost ability to open Band in a Box - 11/21/09 08:53 PM
G'day Matt,
there is compatibility mode and then there is the XP SP3 virtual machine mode - which requires hardware virtualisation in the CPU to be turned on (if available) and a download.

The virtual machine is for when compatibility mode doesn't cut it.

Neither will handle device drivers so my much loved S-YXG50 softsynth won't work
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Lost ability to open Band in a Box - 11/21/09 09:32 PM
Yes, that's more clear now. Thanks, Lawrie.
© PG Music Forums