PG Music Home
Posted By: Westside Steve Longer hold? - 03/03/20 07:14 PM
Hi everybody. I have ended a song with a hold dot-dot-dot

It fades as quickly as to measure four four time. I wonder if there's a way to get that to fade a little bit longer?

Thanks in advance if anybody knows!
WSS
Posted By: Westside Steve Re: Longer hold? - 03/03/20 07:23 PM
Just for the record putting another measure with the three dots after the first one just repeats the hold with the hit at the beginning.
WSS
Posted By: Westside Steve Re: Longer hold? - 03/03/20 07:27 PM
Just for the record putting another measure with the three dots after the first one just repeats the hold with the hit at the beginning. PS I did a search and I found the same question elsewhere. Doesn't look like there's any way to do it. C'est la vie
WSS
Posted By: MarioD Re: Longer hold? - 03/03/20 09:18 PM
Steve, just generate your own ending. Just hold a note or chord for say 3 measures and then do a volume fade out. I do this in my DAW so if you are using a DAW that is the better place to accomplish this. But you can do it in BiaB via F5 volume changes.

{edit} I do this with MIDI so if you are using RTs you may be out of luck.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Longer hold? - 03/04/20 11:37 AM
Some MIDI can hold a long time. Strings and pads, for example. RealTracks, no.

But to make the best of it, make sure the Bar for End of Chorus or the bar for the end of the Tag is well beyond where you hold, to allow many measures for whatever decay is there.
Posted By: jford Re: Longer hold? - 03/04/20 01:14 PM
It depends on the instruments you have in your arrangement, which as Matt said, for MIDI can hold indefinitely for some instruments (depending on the sound library you use). RealTracks are dependent upon how long they recorded the holds for (although, I would think that the processing engine should essentially be able to loop it cleanly to hold as long as you want, but even then, that may not be wanted or natural). An acoustic piano note will fade pretty quickly to inaudible. Do you really want to hold a piano note out for 8 bars? Clearly, string instruments can hold for as long as the player plays it. Brass instruments depend upon the breath control of the performer (although some can do circular breathing).

What instruments are you wanting to hold for a long time (and how long do you want to hold it)?
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Longer hold? - 03/04/20 07:01 PM
Steve,

I don't know if this will work but it's what I'd try...

At the last bar with the X..., enter into bar settings and drop the tempo by 10 to 15%. This may well do the job for you. You'll need to regenerate the song for the change to kick in.

Zplane elastique that PG Music use does a pretty good job of stretching but some Realtracks stretch better than others. Because of this, it's worth trying a range of tempo reductions and see which one(s) works best in your situation.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Longer hold? - 03/04/20 07:10 PM
That's a good idea.

I've tried that technique described by Noel and only had limited success. I have better success lengthening the last note in a DAW.
Posted By: silvertones Re: Longer hold? - 03/04/20 09:44 PM
You can easily do it with cut, copy, paste. I've done it many times. Can't go to far or it sounds un natural.
Bar 100 is the hold.
1.add another bar
2. Cut bar 100 starting were just before were things start to fade
3. Paste into bar 101 at maybe beat 3
4.copy bar 100 beat 2
5. Paste it in bar 100 and 101 to fill the gap.
6. Listen and adjust as necessary.
BTW you can do all tracks at once. Ji
© PG Music Forums