PG Music Home
Posted By: bowlesj BIAB assist for learn by ear singers - 12/28/20 10:10 PM
Hi, a vocalist in my Jazz Jams Club has just bought BIAB 2021 (the $129.00 US version). One of his BIAB uses is to enter a song's melody into BIAB from a song book so he can hear the notes and learn by ear.

However he adds harmonies as well. I am wondering how BIAB 2021 can help with this. Is there any way BIAB can help one design harmonies around the chord stack. At present the only assist I can think of (which is in one of the videos I provided to the members) involves pressing shift+enter while you are in any of the notation windows and it sounds the chord (you select the measure for sounding the chord by left clicking the horizontal bar above the notation and below the buttons and a little white location marker appears). Can it arpeggio the chord in midi while showing the notes in notation or something?

Thanks,
John
Posted By: Noel96 Re: BIAB assist for learn by ear singers - 12/29/20 03:17 AM
Hi John,

Yes. This can be accomplished.

This is what I'd do...

1. I'd get the singer to record the vocal. He could do this in BIAB or outside of BIAB and import it. Either way is equally good.

2. Under the Audio menu, it's then possible to apply "Audio Harmonies" to the audio track.

These harmonies can be exported as individual files (e.g. 1 up and 1 down), and can then be learnt by ear.

Hope this helps,
Noel
Posted By: bowlesj Re: BIAB assist for learn by ear singers - 12/29/20 11:21 AM
Thanks Noel,

pretty cool feature. BIAB always amazes me. It isn't exactly what I was thinking of but I checked the lower notes on the notation and they are definitely chord notes so for sure that would help especially since they can be played back and learned by ear.

Thinking out my original idea a bit better, I had in mind the vocalist seeing a stack of chord notes (maybe a temporary set of notes stacked above and below) and the vocalist selecting one of them by clicking on the line one of these temporary notes sits on and the note they click on gets written the standard way (entering the selection in the notation using the timing as BIAB currently does). The vocalist could hover over the temporary note to see if it is the root, major/minor 3rd, 5th, +5, -5, etc. The vocalist would maybe press ctrl+enter to toggle the stack of notes on or off. If the vocalist selects one of the notes in the stack that stack note would appear in a special color (more than one could be colored this way). Maybe a vocalist would like this idea and want to copy/paste this text to the wish list with some of their own ideas added to it. For me I already know the chord stack notes inside out and backwards and I can get the sound from the guitar (no wish needed). Extra idea. Maybe the complex chords should be stacked in a harmonics stack manor so they sound better. Maybe the stack could be sounded all at once as well. Lots of ideas...lol.

But maybe the current BIAB feature is better. Or maybe both together is ideal.

John
Posted By: NinoL Re: BIAB assist for learn by ear singers - 12/31/20 09:13 AM
Hi John and Noel,
Very good ideas and conversation. I'm a vocalist and I find this very interesting.

I would find this capability (as you suggested John) very useful,

A wish list function on my list! :^)

Thanks Nino.
© PG Music Forums