PG Music Home
Posted By: Dave Re: 1st & 2nd Repeats Problem - 04/24/21 11:33 AM
Hi Stephen
My suggestion, and that of many of the forum, is to build the song out in linear form completely before working on the returns. Set the song to have 1 repeat and 100 or so bars. Do not try to use the built BIAB return. If you need the print out to look like a fake book, do it after the song plays through correctly from bar 1 to the final chord.

I haven't downloaded your song yet, but I think most of your problems will go away once you build out the song comletely.
Posted By: DrDan Re: 1st & 2nd Repeats Problem - 04/24/21 12:00 PM
I am afraid to have to agree with Dave on this one. Despite the fact that BIAB claims it can utilize all these arrangement shortcuts (See figure below) I personally have never been able to make it work. In the early days I tried hard since I worked alot with fakebook arrangements similar to what you showed, but alas it was beyond my pay grade. I just accepted that the linear arrangement was the way to make it happen. But good luck to you I admire your efforts. Perhaps one day someone will come along to show us all the way.

Attached picture Capture.JPG
Posted By: StephenP Re: 1st & 2nd Repeats Problem - 04/24/21 12:36 PM
Thank you Dave and MusicStudent, I really appreciate your help. I had a feeling that might be what was needed (to write out the song in full).

I won't start now, as it's mid-afternoon in Ireland, and I'm heading off to get my COVID vaccine in the morning (3 hour round trip to the vaccination center). But it will give me something to do next week, if I'm laid-low by the side-effects. smile
Posted By: Dave Re: 1st & 2nd Repeats Problem - 04/24/21 12:37 PM
Once you have built the song, then you can use the 1st/2nd ending dialog to create the face book. This song is a bit unusual in that is uses a DS following the second ending that appears to use the first chorus, including its ending before repeating the last couple of bars.

If that is what it is supposed to do, the I would use 1st/2nd/3rd endings and manipulate the chords to fit.

Don't forget to delete ALL of your existing repeats before starting to put new ones in.
Posted By: StephenP Re: 1st & 2nd Repeats Problem - 04/24/21 12:49 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave
This song is a bit unusual in that is uses a DS following the second ending that appears to use the first chorus, including its ending before repeating the last couple of bars.

I partly picked it because it has more than one example of something I had no idea how to deal with in BIAB. If I don't encounter at least 3 steep learning curves a week, I get bored. smile

Originally Posted By: Dave
If that is what it is supposed to do, the I would use 1st/2nd/3rd endings and manipulate the chords to fit.Don't forget to delete ALL of your existing repeats before starting to put new ones in.

That's really helpful, thank you.
Posted By: DrDan Re: 1st & 2nd Repeats Problem - 04/24/21 12:58 PM
Dave's advice reminded me that you first have to write out the entire arrangement in long (linear) form and only then can you go back and insert the D.S., and associated navigation markers and multiple endings. I think that is what is required. If you do get this figured out, please post the final result.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: 1st & 2nd Repeats Problem - 04/24/21 01:28 PM
There are often many ways to do things in BIAB. I prefer not using the extended one-chorus method because I like 5to make use of the middle chorus for a solo over the B section busier rhythm that it selects automatically (there's a setting for this). However, if you decide to do one long form as recommended, and it does make good sense, then you really don't have to work too hard to prepare it. You can just do block copying of what you already have and construct the new long form pretty quickly. It's not like to have to re-type anything.

You sure are picking simple songs...
Posted By: StephenP Re: 1st & 2nd Repeats Problem - 04/24/21 02:10 PM
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
If you do get this figured out, please post the final result.

I will, but don't hold your breath! wink
Posted By: StephenP Re: 1st & 2nd Repeats Problem - 04/24/21 02:13 PM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
There are often many ways to do things in BIAB. I prefer not using the extended one-chorus method because I like 5to make use of the middle chorus for a solo over the B section busier rhythm that it selects automatically (there's a setting for this).

Great to hear from you, Matt. I'd be interested in an alternative, just in case I have slack day. smile

Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
You sure are picking simple songs...

They don't call me..."I'll take the hard-way any day' Power (that's my surname), for nothing. wink
© PG Music Forums