PG Music Home
For reasons being irregular in format song structure, my song is more than 255 bars (actually I think close to 400 bars) using RealTracks style.

My question: Is there a workaround the 255 limit? Either in RB or BIAB, or is there a step-wise solution/workaround?

My song is around 380 bars or round off to 400 bars...

thaNKS IN ADVANCE
Currently there is a 255 bar limit in BiaB, which has been there since the program's inception.

This restriction does not apply to RealBand. Certainly 400+ bars is possible in RealBand.

Attached picture 2021-05-13_5-48-56.jpg
VideoTrack is correct, but I wanted to add that there is a limit of 2000 bars in RealBand.
I think the error is a "bug" of the RealBand. anybody has experienced the same thing? Im using RB (build 5)
I think the error is a "bug" of the RealBand. anybody has experienced the same thing? Im using RB (build 5)

Originally Posted By: Simon - PG Music
VideoTrack is correct, but I wanted to add that there is a limit of 2000 bars in RealBand.
Thank you.. actually I tried in RealBand, then I hit a problem. I could not insert New Bars to an existing song , there's an error message "cannot insert bars beyond end of song"

even if the song is just 400 bars long,,,

Thank you... !!

Thank you.. actually I tried in RealBand, then I hit a problem. I could not insert New Bars to an existing song , there's an error message "cannot insert bars beyond end of song"

even if the song is just 400 bars long,,,

Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Currently there is a 255 bar limit in BiaB, which has been there since the program's inception.

This restriction does not apply to RealBand. Certainly 400+ bars is possible in RealBand.

.. but I wanted to add that there is a limit of 2000 bars in RealBand.
I don't think we knew that. Thank you.
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
.. but I wanted to add that there is a limit of 2000 bars in RealBand.
I don't think we knew that. Thank you.

I didn't know the maximum length. I did try in the Help for anything that might have indicated and found nothing. So I just created a 400 bar song and generated it.
BTW, Matt, 2000 is an unusual number, I might have thought 2047 or 2048.
Acidbent have you tried changing the end bar setting? If you add bars there, the bars you are trying to add won't be after the end of the song

page 44 of the RB manual shows you the start and end bar display
Originally Posted By: Bob Calver
Acidbent have you tried changing the end bar setting? If you add bars there, the bars you are trying to add won't be after the end of the song

Here is a screenshot of where the start/end settings are. Also, do you find this happening if you create a new song project, or is it only happening in this particular song?

Attached picture RB_start_end.png
yes i did change the end bar setting.

still error... i think this is BUG with Build 5..

pls try it, insert bars in RealBand..

yes i did change the end bar setting.

still error... i think this is BUG with Build 5..

pls try it, insert bars in RealBand..

Originally Posted By: Chantelle - PG Music

Here is a screenshot of where the start/end settings are. Also, do you find this happening if you create a new song project, or is it only happening in this particular song?
acidbent - this problem happens for me too. I'll bring it up with the development team.
BTW, Matt, 2000 is an unusual number, I might have thought 2047 or 2048.
Yep, 2047 is what I would have expected based on 255 for BIAB. 0 through 2047 is a count of 2048, or 2 to the 11th power. Perhaps 2000 is arbitrary and can be changed easier than in BIAB?

so it's really a bug...

thanks

acidbent - this problem happens for me too. I'll bring it up with the development team.

what's the basic reason why BIAB has a 256 bar limit while the RB has 2000?

Originally Posted By: acidbent

BiaB is based on 8 bit technology. Thus the highest number you can get is 256.

thanks sir

Originally Posted By: MarioD

The request to have the bar limit increased to a higher value has been around just about as long as Band-In-A-Box itself. Maybe one day this will happen.
Quote:
The request to have the bar limit increased to a higher value has been around just about as long as Band-In-A-Box itself. Maybe one day this will happen.

I really do hope so since I just experienced this issue myself... Which means I will have to finish that very song in two parts - which sucks, of course...

By the way, is there some kind of "wishlist" around where one can add things?
Originally Posted By: ThorstenV

There is. It is called Band in a Box Wishlist

Where's the boom tish symbol?
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
Over 255 bars you can now do that with the BB Plugin, see pic below.
VST 1 is set sync offset to 0 (click arrow on Sync button) with the Ending unchecked and VST2 is set to sync offset of 256+- with Count-In unchecked.

I'm guessing that the question pertains to native maximum number of bars, without requiring workarounds, additional configurations etc.
I'm guessing that the question pertains to native maximum number of bars, without requiring workarounds, additional configurations etc.

Agreed, though Pipeline's suggestion is honestly pretty smart - I'll have to remember that one.
Quote:

Hey Mario, great - thanks once more! ^^
Wow, I see that for the first time - lots of immensely interesting threads in there!

Quote:
Agreed, though Pipeline's suggestion is honestly pretty smart

It certainly is. Yet I regard myself more a musician than a technician or a programmer, and all these tricks to make the program run the way I need it to only lead me away from that. Also I find the plugin mode frustratingly slow.

I just wish there were no limits for personalizing one's Biab - I would then set it, among other things, to one chorus only (since none of my songs contain three chorusses and/or follow a song structure where all chorusses appear after a respective part of the same length etc.) and to a huge amount of bars. But okay, I know I should join the wishlist discussions for that - and I soon will! grin
Yes the BBPlugin IS slow and creates so many wav files on the hard drive. I have posted many solutions for this to allow for INSTANT generation and playback from any bar, this will also allow you to load frozen SGUs into the BBPlugin giving you the identical section of track playback as you had in the Biab main app.

The only issue with VST1 and VST2 at the moment is that VST1 will cut out before the last beat has played to give a seamless join, I have given them solutions for bbw4 many times yet it remains unfixed ! bbw2 that RealBand uses has no problem creating a seamless join from bar 255 to bar 256 or for any other section of bars you regenerate as you MUST have seamless playing not cutting out before the last beat ends !

Quote:
Agreed, though Pipeline's suggestion is honestly pretty smart

It certainly is. Yet I regard myself more a musician than a technician or a programmer, and all these tricks to make the program run the way I need it to only lead me away from that. Also I find the plugin mode frustratingly slow.

ThorstenV, your response is a great post and one worthy of serious consideration by the developers. I do hope it gets some traction.

And I suspect in turn, that is constrained by backwards compatibility with earlier versions of BiaB. I criticise a number of things, but PGM do work very hard, perhaps too hard, trying to keep functional compatibility of SGU/MGU files across many BIAB versions.

There might be an argument for sacrificing that direct compatibility and providing a separate conversion tool to convert pre-to-post and post-to-pre, with a limit there of 256. It isn't hard to reach 256.
Forward functionality while maintaining backwards compatibility is neither difficult nor impossible to achieve.
Yep. And it's not linear to increase from 8-bit to even 16-bit storage. The maximum number of measures would increase from 255 to 65,535. That should do it for you. But if it doesn't, then there are 32-bit and 64-bit numbers...
© PG Music Forums