PG Music Home
Posted By: Salleke13 BIAB playing chords to Ketron SD40 or SD90 - 06/24/21 12:06 PM
Hello,

A while ago I read somewhere that it is possible to connect
BIAB to a KETRON SD40 or SD90 soundmodule.

Is it possible to input chords in BIAB but let the chords not
be played by BIAB styles but let them play with the styles of
the KETRON module SD40 or SD90?

Or even to a YAMAHA Keyboard ie: PSR-SX700/SX900?

Can someone please tell me how to set this up in BIAB or
point me to a tutorial or more info?

Thank You all and sorry for my bad english.

Salleke.
The model numbers SD20, SD80 and SD90 were modules named Edirol, made by Roland. I owned two of these. Is it possible you mean those?

If you do mean Ketron is the manufacturer, then to use these or any other hardware MIDI synth in BIAB and gain access to the upper bank of patches (beyond GM and GM2) then you need a Patch Map. There are many already written in the Support, Patch Map area of this site, although the model numbers of the Ketron units do not match your post.

Click on Support near the top of this page to see what has already been done, or go here: https://www.pgmusic.com/support_miscellaneous.htm

no; he means Ketron modules; rather expensive by the way
I have one of the cheapest option, the ketron SD1000
it is a module without display so everything must be done with a computer
the other ketron products are more than sound modules
they have a real-time arranger included
I think it is possible to send chord data from BIAB but not verse / chorus
information so it is limited to one substyle for the whole song
I hope somebody proves me wrong but I doubt it
take a look, Matt
this is a Ketron SD90

https://www.musicstore.com/fr_BE/EUR/Ketron-SD90/art-KEY0004891-000

it is just like an arranger keyboard without the keyboard

most of these modules have 4 intros, 4 main substyles and 4 endings

so they cannot be fully used by BIAB for the time being
Thank you, Bernard. This is quite a step up from the Ketron line I knew. This is the most expensive MIDI synth I’ve seen without a keyboard.

If a SONAR .ins file can be found for this, then BIAB can convert it to a .pat file that is needed. That part of my advice is still correct.

In the Roland line, it was sometimes possible to modify the PAT file for an earlier/less capable unit, rather than start from scratch. The existing Ketron PAT file should at least be tried.

As far as playing the Ketron styles instead of the BIAB styles, that might only work it it can use the chord info sent by BIAB. There is a setting in BIAB in Preferences, OutputCh.
yes, that's right
it is the OutputCh setting that must be used
by the way, the Preferences screen is huge
there are 30 subscreens in it !
however, the external devices won't be able to understand all the things you can put in the chord screen, like dropping instruments, pushes etc
Thank You all for the help.
The output channel is what I used to use for a hardware harmonizer.. It sent out vanilla chords which the box harmonized. Pretty much made obsolete by software harms, but I suspect that would output to the Ketrons.

BTW, my SD100 driver stopped being recognized by BIAB years ago. I can use it via MIDI ports though. But I cannot see any new .PAT files added to \data\user\synth kits.... Has adding new PAT files been deprecated?
Hi,
there is a PAT file for the SD1000 here:

https://www.pgmusic.com/support_miscellaneous.htm

there are 512 patch lines in it so I guess it is complete

best regards
© PG Music Forums