PG Music Home
Posted By: MoveToGroove Soloist's patches play wrong sounds - 12/15/21 12:01 PM
When I choose Solist #12, which should play patch #31 (distorted rock guitar), the mixer window then indeed shows the right patch (#31), but the sound of the Soloist comes from some horn patch.

If I then choose another patch manually in the mixer, that one works properly, but then choosing patch #31 in the mixer again still results in horn sounds. Even if I then load a style picker demo song that contains a solo with patch #31, that one also plays those horn sounds.

I can't say if this happens only for some Soloists or for all of them, and under which circumstances this may happen resp. not happen, but I guess that this is just another specification of the immense patch issues that appeared with the release of BiaB 2022 (e.g. also after midi import onto utility tracks, or on melody tracks after opening older BiaB files).

Maybe these problems appear only for those ppl who have skipped BiaB 2021 (installed BiaB 2022 over BiaB 2020 or older)?
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Soloist's patches play wrong sounds - 12/15/21 01:08 PM
What Synth are you using?
Posted By: MoveToGroove Re: Soloist's patches play wrong sounds - 12/15/21 01:43 PM
Hey Rob,

not sure if I know what you mean: it's not a hardware-instrument issue, BiaB is running on my Computer.
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Soloist's patches play wrong sounds - 12/15/21 04:19 PM
correct, but what synth do you have working with BiaB? look under options/preferences/ midi devices look to the right side and find out which synth it is routed through
Posted By: MoveToGroove Re: Soloist's patches play wrong sounds - 12/15/21 04:36 PM
Ah - here's a snapshot:

Attached picture Midi Settings.PNG
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Soloist's patches play wrong sounds - 12/15/21 05:33 PM
Try changing your Synth / Soundcard setting to match your soft synth.

Description: MIDI Settings Synth / Sound Card Highlighted
Attached picture Clipboard05 German MIDI Settings.jpg

Description: Changed Synth Setting
Attached picture Clipboard05a German MIDI Settings.jpg
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Soloist's patches play wrong sounds - 12/15/21 06:24 PM
Originally Posted By: MoveToGroove
...I guess that this is just another specification of the immense patch issues that appeared with the release of BiaB 2022 ...
I must have missed this. What patch issues? Can you point me to some links? To my knowledge, nothing involving patches was changed in BIAB 2022.
Posted By: MoveToGroove Re: Soloist's patches play wrong sounds - 12/15/21 06:51 PM
Hey Jim,

I've just tried the setting that you suggested, but the problems are still the same.
Posted By: MoveToGroove Re: Soloist's patches play wrong sounds - 12/15/21 07:14 PM
Hey Matt,

I've started a couple of other threads about issues related to midi import / patches / soloist / sound issues since BiaB 2022 already:
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=687562
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=687624
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=691163

But I've also seen a couple of threads from others about such issues, e.g.:
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=689770
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Soloist's patches play wrong sounds - 12/15/21 07:16 PM
Thanks. And recent builds haven’t fixed it?
Posted By: MoveToGroove Re: Soloist's patches play wrong sounds - 12/15/21 07:36 PM
Nope, I'm on the latest build (908).

Another problem that I've not reported yet in specific, but which is about the same general kind of issue:
I have a BiaB song that I had created with version 2020 by importing just a melody track and then choosing the vibraphone for that track, and then choosing a BiaB style for the other tracks. When I load that song in BiaB 2022 now, the melody track displays the vibraphone patch in the mixer but plays the sound of a piano.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Soloist's patches play wrong sounds - 12/15/21 07:40 PM
How about uploading one of these problematic midi tracks so we can see for ourselves?
Posted By: MoveToGroove Re: Soloist's patches play wrong sounds - 12/15/21 07:54 PM
MusicStudent,

looks like I can't upload such a file - I get the message "The files you may upload must have the following extension: : .gif,.jpg,.png,.jpeg,.bmp,.tif,.mp3,.mp4,.m4a,.wma,.wav,.pdf,.ini,.pat,.txt,.mid"

I could save it as midi, but I think the problem is in the BiaB song format.

And in regard of the originally imported midis: That would violate copyrights (and the problem is not caused by those midi files, since they work in other programs and also worked in BiaB 2020; The import midi problem appears at all my midis that I've bought from several midi shops).
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Soloist's patches play wrong sounds - 12/15/21 08:19 PM
Stick one of those extensions on the end and send it. mysong.mgu.jpg
Posted By: MoveToGroove Re: Soloist's patches play wrong sounds - 12/15/21 08:56 PM
Ah ok Matt - here is one with the soloist's patch problem:

Attached picture Solist 12.MGA.jpg
Posted By: MoveToGroove Re: Soloist's patches play wrong sounds - 12/15/21 08:57 PM
doesn't look like the attachment is accessible?
I try it again, this time with a .mid extension:

Attached File
Solist 12.MGA.mid  (8 downloads)
Posted By: DrDan Re: Soloist's patches play wrong sounds - 12/15/21 09:45 PM
When I load it and hit play, I hear only the real drums audio, no midi at all. So let me get in deeper to see what is actually set up here.

Dan
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Soloist's patches play wrong sounds - 12/15/21 09:55 PM
MoveToGroove,

A user reported MIDI playback issues a few days ago and the user resolved the issue by changing the MIDI Driver settings and then setting them back to their original settings.

The thought is that during an update one or more internal program flags failed to update correctly so the settings look okay but really are not okay.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Soloist's patches play wrong sounds - 12/15/21 10:04 PM
The MIDI playback issue I saw was with external MIDI synths. However, patches are forthcoming.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Soloist's patches play wrong sounds - 12/15/21 11:48 PM
OK here is what you got.

BIAB Instrument track name / Midi Channel
Bass / 01
Piano / 02
Guitar / 05
Strings / 06
Soloist / 07
Melody / 03

It all plays to my default GM. You can solo each track and view the midi in the piano roll and if the Synth is open (see picture) it does indeed play to the selected midi patch.

I was surprized it did not play first time. But then when I monkeyed with the Synth is just started to play. May be a clue there.

Second, it is unusually poor sound quality. I generally would expect better from the SoundFont I have selected (I am using the Coyote Forte, which is known to be much better than the Coyte Dxi), but sounds unusually bad in this file (like circa 1990 carnival wagon). So this might be a clue. Otherwise, sorry I just can't figure this one out...

Attached picture Capture.JPG
Posted By: swingbabymix Re: Soloist's patches play wrong sounds - 12/16/21 12:33 AM
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
OK here is what you got.

Hello, you haven't told me how to check the channel names of the new style. Is there a good way? I didn't open it according to your way. I'm taking a screenshot for the time being

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=93811&Number=690761#Post690761
This bug is fixed in the latest build 912:

Download update patch for build 912
Posted By: MoveToGroove Re: Soloist's patches play wrong sounds - 12/16/21 02:35 AM
Jim,

I've changed the Synth setting from General Midi to different other options now, and also I changed the Midi input driver now and the midi output driver as well - and all back to what was set before. At each stage it didn't make any difference.

And it's not that the patches don't work correctly at all - just after specific actions they don't work correctly. For example:
  • When I start BiaB and then load the demo song of the style ZZSHFROK, patch 31 plays correctly the sound of the distorted Rock Guitar
  • then I let BiaB generate Soloist #12 => patch 31 plays the sound of some horn
  • I save the file and then load the demo song of ZZSHUFROK again => still horn sound
  • I then close BiaB and start BiaB again and load the demo song of ZZSHFROK again => it properly plays the guitar sound.
  • I then load the saved song from before => Sound is horn again
Posted By: MoveToGroove Re: Soloist's patches play wrong sounds - 12/16/21 02:39 AM
Oh, I just saw the announcement about the new build with the bug fix. Thanks for the info, Blake! I'll update and let you know if all works properly now!
Posted By: MoveToGroove Re: Soloist's patches play wrong sounds - 12/16/21 03:06 AM
Blake,

I just installed the new build, but all my issues with midi patches still exist as before.
Posted By: MoveToGroove Re: Soloist's patches play wrong sounds - 12/16/21 03:24 AM
Dan, what do you mean with "if the synth is open"?
Posted By: MoveToGroove Re: Soloist's patches play wrong sounds - 12/16/21 03:37 AM
I tried something else:

I just opened the file that I've uploaded here before and changed the midi patch of the bass track and the patch of the melodist track to #31 (while soloist track already has #31). On the bass track, I hear a distorted guitar, but on the soloist track and on the melodist track I hear a horn. So I think those midi patch problems only appear on soloist track, melodist track and utility tracks.

And, again, it MIGHT be that the probs only appear to those users that haven't had the BiaB 2021 version before they installed the 2022 version (I came from BiaB 2020).
Posted By: DrDan Re: Soloist's patches play wrong sounds - 12/16/21 08:24 AM
Take a look in Options - Preferences - Midi Settings. Here is what I see in your midi file (see picture). I have to admit it does not agree with what my VSTSynthfont64 is playing when I play your file. <<confused>> crazy

Attached picture Capture1.JPG
Posted By: DrDan Re: Soloist's patches play wrong sounds - 12/16/21 08:26 AM
Dan, what do you mean with "if the synth is open"?

I have my VSTSynthfont64 Window Open so I can view exactly what is playing. As I solo each instrument I see the midi channel and the assigned patch.

Attached picture Capture.JPG
Posted By: MoveToGroove Re: Soloist's patches play wrong sounds - 12/16/21 09:18 AM
Dan,

how do I open the VSTSynthfont64 Window?

That what the midi channels overview looks like at my computer when I open that file again (see attachment), but Soloist's sound is neither a guitar nor a piano, but still a horn:

Attached picture MidiPiatchOverview.PNG
Posted By: DrDan Re: Soloist's patches play wrong sounds - 12/16/21 10:05 AM
Sorry for delay, still waking up here in Chicago...

You just need to R-Click on any of the Mixer-Plugins=Default Synth shown in picture. L-Click opens a menu and R-Click opens the Synth

Attached picture Capture2.JPG
Posted By: MoveToGroove Re: Soloist's patches play wrong sounds - 12/16/21 10:35 AM
Hey Dan,

np, I'm aware that everyone needs some sleep sometimes :-)

Thanks for the description - that window also shows midi patch #31 for the soloist, but the solo sounds horny :-(
Posted By: DrDan Re: Soloist's patches play wrong sounds - 12/16/21 11:00 AM
Hold it, I see an new wrinkle. There appears to me CC changes in the midi which is changing the patch on the fly. Now where oh where in BIAB do we view and edit these.... these menus can drive you crazy....

Here it is.. The # sign. The changes to change patches are hard coded in the midi data. I suspect you did not do this, but who ever made this midi file did.

Attached picture Capture4.JPG
Posted By: DrDan Re: Soloist's patches play wrong sounds - 12/16/21 11:17 AM
OK, I deleted the patch change. Save, reopened file and it is still messed up. It starats out fine but when I stop the play, it returns to the organ patch. I am afraid I can not determine what is going on here. I hope I have shown you several of the screens in BIAB which monitor this midi process but unfortunately, I can't figure out how to control it. Will take a better mididoit then me... time for me to go to the day job.

Mario, have you looked at this file, or how is BIAB 2022 midi mapping working for you?
Posted By: MoveToGroove Re: Soloist's patches play wrong sounds - 12/16/21 11:22 AM
Dan, BiaB made this midi file :-)

I took the Demo Song from ZZSHFROK, then modified it within BiaB and then saved it in BiaB.
Posted By: MoveToGroove Re: Soloist's patches play wrong sounds - 12/16/21 11:25 AM
Dan, thanks for the time you spent on this!

I think that at least we have narrowed the issue for PG now, so that the next build might be more effective in regard to this bug.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Soloist's patches play wrong sounds - 12/17/21 09:31 AM
Dan, BiaB made this midi file :-)

I took the Demo Song from ZZSHFROK, then modified it within BiaB and then saved it in BiaB.

I played this directly from my BIAB 2022 and it sounded 10x better, however I still had problems with patches. I stopped using BIAB for this type of stuff long ago and took my midi tracks to Reaper as soon as I had a basic arrangement. Assignment of patches in Reaper to my VSTs simply works and does not require me to figure out things I don't know. Good luck.
Posted By: MoveToGroove Re: Soloist's patches play wrong sounds - 12/17/21 11:03 AM
Thanks, Dan ;-)
© PG Music Forums