PG Music Home
Posted By: malevans Windows Media Player is a PIA - 12/21/21 01:42 PM
I cannot find the last time I messaged about this ongoing problem. Yet again I find myself not being able to preview Styles. I always get the 'windows media player encountered a problem while playing this file'.

Ok, so I'm an Audient user and have tried every way I know of. Made sure I'm running at 44 khz 16 bit, Returned to factory settings, switched from Asio to MME and WAS but just cannot demo styles. Driving me nuts.

I have my Real Tracks and Real Drums on a separate SSD. In the Real Tracks folder I noticed a folder called Data which has inside it HIQ Demos Audio folder, RealDrums Demos Audio folder, RealTracks - Demos folder and Style Demos Audio folder.

My suspicion is that these folders should maybe reside in the primary C drive BB folder but I'm not sure where to put them and do not know why they are in the Real Tracks folder on another SSD drive. Am I correct? What is the default location for demoing styles?

Can someone tell if I'm on the right path and where those folders should reside and how to tell BB where to look in order to demo styles.

Would be most grateful.

Oh, and please, please get rid of Windows Media Player. It really is a PIA.

Mal.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Windows Media Player is a PIA - 12/21/21 02:57 PM
This was my recent experience with WMP. Not sure if this is what is happening for you. My problem was only with the new vocal demos.

I had to reconfigure WMP so it would play .wma files! Apparently .wma files are not the default in WMP, but they can be turned on in the setup portion of WMP. But you have to configure WMP to allow you to edit this option. It was very confusing and I had to go a lot of googleing to figure it out. But after that things started to work with BIAB new vocal tracks.
Posted By: Andrew - PG Music Re: Windows Media Player is a PIA - 12/21/21 03:49 PM
Quote:
Ok, so I'm an Audient user and have tried every way I know of. Made sure I'm running at 44 khz 16 bit, Returned to factory settings, switched from Asio to MME and WAS but just cannot demo styles. Driving me nuts.

I have my Real Tracks and Real Drums on a separate SSD. In the Real Tracks folder I noticed a folder called Data which has inside it HIQ Demos Audio folder, RealDrums Demos Audio folder, RealTracks - Demos folder and Style Demos Audio folder.

Hi,

- The RealTracks\Data\ folder should have these subfolders: 'RealDrums Demos Audio', 'Style Demos Audio'. There may also be a 'HiQ Demos Audio'. This is in your RealTracks folder, wherever you have that located. The folders contain the .wma demos used for auditioning styles.

The 'RealTracks - Demos' folder should be located in bb\Demos\ (your main Band-in-a-Box folder). These are the .SGU Band-in-a-Box song demos.

- Are you able to play the .wma files on your computer outside of Band-in-a-Box, in Windows Media Player, and is it just certain .wma files that are a problem? Or all?
Posted By: malevans Re: Windows Media Player is a PIA - 12/21/21 09:01 PM
All Andrew.

Yes I can play a *.wma file in media player. No problem.

It's got me confused. Almost resurrected my old soundcard but then I realised that's going backwards.
Posted By: malevans Re: Windows Media Player is a PIA - 12/22/21 09:57 AM
Well I'm still in the same position. Might I ask Dan what exactly you did in WMP to rectify your problem. I don't see anything under options to force WMP to play wma files.

@ANDREW

I have moved RealTracks-Demos over to the default Andrew but my problem persists.

Mal
You could try re-installing Windows Media Player and see if that helps. Also check if you have any Windows OS updates available.
Posted By: malevans Re: Windows Media Player is a PIA - 12/22/21 03:52 PM
I've managed to get the demos playing now using MME. I would prefer to have ASIO running but that's a no go.

Will this antiquated WMP be put out to pasture?

Upgrading to the new platform Windows 11 shortly. Is it as bad as it is in Windows 10?

Surely, there must be another player that can be used in Band In A Box.
© PG Music Forums