PG Music Home
Posted By: Nutty Endings - 01/07/10 10:40 PM
I have a song that I didn't realize stopped abruptly until I opened it in Sonar. I went back to BIAB and sure enough it did the same thing. There were 111 measures and everything just stopped suddenly. Of course it sounds horrible. Checked the settings and the option to have the BIAB ending was disabled. I selected it and it's fine, but how do you do the ending other than the BIAB generated ending? For example to have the instruments naturally fade out after the last chord?

Thanks.
Annette
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Endings - 01/08/10 12:07 AM
Hi Nutty,

When I want a fade out, I use the DAW to do that. Firstly, I let BIAB play four extra bars on the last chord and I have the "generate ending" option turned off. In BIAB the song will stop abruptly. I then load the song as wav files into Sonar (it is also easily done in RB, although a little differently) and then I simply:
  • position the mouse cursor in the middle of the end of the track and drag the track to the left so that track-length is adjusted correctly for where I want the song to finally end;
  • position the cursor on the upper right corner at the end of the track and drag it to the left to create a fade-out.

This might give you an idea or two.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Nutty Re: Endings - 01/08/10 10:32 PM
Thanks Noel.

I'll try that.

Annette
Posted By: FirstBassman Re: Endings - 01/11/10 10:16 PM
Quote:

Hi Nutty,

When I want a fade out, I use the DAW to do that.

Yup, same here.

Gives ya more control over the fade too and ya can also be more selective.
Posted By: pwarren Re: Endings - 01/11/10 10:25 PM
Song Settings (Ctrl-N). There's a setting for 'fadeout ending #bars'. Enter a number and click fade. The song will fade evenly over the number of bars you indicated.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Endings - 01/11/10 11:05 PM
Also, make sure the ending bar number, or the last bar in the tag if using a tag, is well beyond the last sound you want to hear. Tracks imported into SONAR will stop playing at the end of the last MIDI track.
Posted By: Nutty Re: Endings - 01/12/10 03:09 PM
Okay..thanks everyone for the tips!

Annette
Posted By: Andrew - PG Music Re: Endings - 01/13/10 06:20 PM
Hello Annette,

One way to do this inside Band-in-a-Box, is to simply make the last chord of your song a hold chord (e.g. Cmaj...) and then extend your song length so that there is enough time for the instruments to decay. In order to extend the end of your song, you will need to make your song a single chorus, or use a tag ending.
Posted By: David Walker Re: Endings - 01/13/10 07:09 PM
Or, you could open the song in Real Band and use the mixer to do a slow fade out.
© PG Music Forums