PG Music Home
My purpose: The music starts without drums, and by the end of my last 4th bar (yellow position) there are drums.

I know what I'm doing now is right.

But the meaning of this sentence, is the logic wrong, or I understand the meaning of English wrong?

"rest only all except drum"

What I understand is that except for the drums, everything else is resting.
But what I want is exactly the opposite. Except for the drum break, everything else works.

Of course, the easier way is, is it possible to make the bar setting control the second half of each bar later?

Attached picture 2022-02-18_170521.jpg
Originally Posted By: swingbabymix
"rest only all except drum"

It means to rest all the instruments except the ones you have checked, so to get only the drums you should check the drums and uncheck all the other instruments.

English is my first language and even I find the description confusing, so I am not surprised that you also do.
Originally Posted By: Gordon Scott

It means to rest all the instruments except the ones you have checked, so to get only the drums you should check the drums and uncheck all the other instruments.

English is my first language and even I find the description confusing, so I am not surprised that you also do.

Every time I use this, I get confused, the literal meaning, the meaning I understand, and the final effect, it seems to be reversed grin
I think our mind tries to make a proper sentence from the labels and the proper sentence we get has very untidy grammar. (Poor "semantics", if that helps).
I think our mind tries to make a proper sentence from the labels and the proper sentence we get has very untidy grammar. (Poor "semantics", if that helps).

This situation occurs in many places in BIAB.
Especially I don't know English.
So I use my own methods, text, screenshots, and make a small video. Every time I use it, I can know what to do.

I think bar setting and chrod setting can be improved.
Yes, it's confusing and not the best description ...

It's a less than a minute job to fix it, if you're editing the source code anyway.

The selection box should just say "Rest" (or possibly "Resting")

So it would be:

Rest type: Rest
*All Instruments _______ All except:

Not a big thing, but ambiguous information is always disturbing.

Thomas
Originally Posted By: thomasc
The selection box should just say "Rest" (or possibly "Resting")

So it would be:

Rest type: Rest
*All Instruments _______ All except:

Another point: the whole box concerns "Rests, Shots, Holds", not just rests.

So that menu should select "Type", not "Rest Type", and the choices should be "Rest", "Shot", Hold", and "None".

That will give you configurations like

Rest, Shots, Holds:
Type = Rest
All except drums

which is reasonably comprehensible.
Possibly the instruments to which it applies should simply be selected directly, rather that the "all except", which to me seems like a kind of double negative.

"Select all" and "clear all" buttons might also be a clearer option.
Possibly the instruments to which it applies should simply be selected directly, rather that the "all except", which to me seems like a kind of double negative.

Yeah.

It would make sense to have "All Except" if there were like 75 possibilities, but since there are only those five (bass, piano, drums, guitar, strings) it's just confusing clutter to have "All Instruments" and "All Except" there at all. Just check what you want!
All good points.

Let's hope someone reads it and acts accordingly.
After all we're here to assist changes to the better and at no additional cost smile
Thank you all for sharing your experiences!

If you have ideas for new features, RealTracks, Styles, or even ways to make Band-in-a-Box more user friendly, we suggest posting your ideas in our Wishlist forum because the more people who agree with the ideas, the more likely they are to be included in future releases. https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm&c=3

Is it convenient to send an article to make this sentence normal.
My English is not good and I don't know how to express it.
I found that the PG staff had noticed.
Originally Posted By: swingbabymix

My suggestion was a way that PGM might make the operation clearer.
It is not something that we can do at present.

My suggestion was a way that PGM might make the operation clearer.
It is not something that we can do at present. [/quote]

OK. I have made a post.

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=706146&#Post706146
© PG Music Forums