PG Music Home
Posted By: Gordon Scott Play from the top? - 01/09/23 05:56 PM
In versions 2022 and for some time earlier, Ctrl-A was a "play again from the top" function. Now Ctrl-A does the more conventional "select all", which itself is fine.

But this is beginning to be a nuisance and I wondered, is there a new method for doing it?

Doing home->space goes to the first bar, but plays just the final time through and with no count-in.

AutoHotkey is a possible if not.
Posted By: Andrew - PG Music Re: Play from the top? - 01/11/23 01:36 AM
Ctrl+Spacebar should play from the start of the song without re-generation. It is working in my testing. Is that not what you are finding? Check Options | Preferences | Spacebar function...
Posted By: Gordon Scott Re: Play from the top? - 01/11/23 11:52 AM
Thanks Andrew.

I wasn't aware of Ctrl+Spacebar, which is why I asked. I suspected there was another way to do it. It does seem a bit coyly hidden away in the manual. Mentioned on page 366, but not in the shortcuts, though that may be because behaviour is an option. I'll try it later.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Play from the top? - 01/11/23 03:08 PM
The shortcut is shown in the option Andrew mentioned (Options, Preferences, Keystroke Options area, Spacebar.

I suspect you are like most of us and just keep that on the middle choice, Plays from Current Position.

I don't remember anything about Ctrl+A. I would not have tried it for this, though, because I would have assumed it would select all.
Posted By: sslechta Re: Play from the top? - 01/11/23 03:18 PM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
I don't remember anything about Ctrl+A. I would not have tried it for this, though, because I would have assumed it would select all.

That's how I found that out in the past. I was trying to select all and the song would play. Glad to know I wasn't crazy.
Posted By: Gordon Scott Re: Play from the top? - 01/11/23 03:23 PM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
The shortcut is shown in the option Andrew mentioned (Options, Preferences, Keystroke Options area, Spacebar.

I suspect you are like most of us and just keep that on the middle choice, Plays from Current Position.

For me also I would normally expect Ctrl+A to be a select-all, which is just one good reason for me to not object that it's changed. It's in the 2022 manual as "Play song with no generation", but it isn't in 2023.

I will probably use the Ctrl-spacebar option to play from the start. It's pretty reasonable/rational ... more so than the Ctrl-A and easier to use.
Posted By: Andrew - PG Music Re: Play from the top? - 01/11/23 04:46 PM
You're right, ctrl+spacebar is missing from the hotkey list - we'll add that. Aside from that, the hotkey list is looking quite accurate and comprehensive in the 2023 help file.
Posted By: Gordon Scott Re: Play from the top? - 01/11/23 08:07 PM
Thanks again, Andrew.
© PG Music Forums