PG Music Home
Posted By: Jeff26 Slow response via Headphones - 05/15/11 01:39 AM
Hi,
I have my keyboard hooked up to power tracks. Works fine.
But, when I try to listen through my PC, the headphones plugged into my PC for example, the playback in the headphones is delayed, maybe a half a second after I hit the key I hear it in my headphones.
Ditto via the PC speakers.
Not sure why the delay.
???
Thanks
Jeff
Posted By: rharv Re: Slow response via Headphones - 05/15/11 04:52 AM
Try ASIO drivers in the audio prefs area if available.

What you are experiencing is called latency.
Posted By: Jeff26 Re: Slow response via Headphones - 05/17/11 01:14 AM
I did adjust the latency with that supplied audio.
When chosing ASIO driver select in the audio adjust dialog. When I exit that it says I need to choose an ASIO driver, shows me a box that has none. Close out of there and PT is pretty much dead. Need a Ctl/Alt/Del to get it running again.
Jeff
Posted By: rharv Re: Slow response via Headphones - 05/17/11 06:27 PM
You must not have asio drivers available then.

Try ASIO4All.
http://www.asio4all.com/
Posted By: Jeff26 Re: Slow response via Headphones - 05/17/11 06:34 PM
I will check that out. are those generic, work with my yamaha?
Posted By: Jeff26 Re: Slow response via Headphones - 05/18/11 01:36 AM
Hi,
I downloaded and installed the ASIO drivers, selected them in the Audio Driver Type Box, do not see them coming up in the Midi Devices output drivers. So I still have the delay effect.
In Midi devices drivers I have available, Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth, Microsoft MIDI Mapper, and Yamaha Portable G-1. The Yamaha driver does nothing, no sound, the MS drivers are both slow.
Is there suppose to be a way to get the ASIO driver in here?
Thanks
Jeff
Posted By: rharv Re: Slow response via Headphones - 05/18/11 10:47 AM
ASIO is the audio driver, then use a DXi synth
Posted By: Jeff26 Re: Slow response via Headphones - 05/19/11 01:49 AM
Hi,
If you mean to use a DXI Synth, check the box in MIDI Driver Setup, Re-Route MIDI playback to default Dxi/VSTiSynth. Check that and I have no sound.
Also, conntacted support. They had me get the ASIO Driver also, and had me get LoopBe Internal MIDI. When I use that I get no sound output.
So what MIDI output driver should I use with this ASIO. Made no change in the deplay, and the LoopBe has no output.
Thanks
Jeff
Posted By: rharv Re: Slow response via Headphones - 05/19/11 02:16 AM
Once you check the box for DXi synth, you have to select one in the dropdown. If there isn't one, you need to get one. There are a couple that come on the install CD. What operating system? 32 bit or 64 bit OS?
Posted By: Jeff26 Re: Slow response via Headphones - 05/19/11 02:37 AM
Hi,
I have Vista. There are none listed in the dropdown.
Jeff
Posted By: rharv Re: Slow response via Headphones - 05/19/11 02:48 AM
What version of the PT program, and is Vista 32 or 64 bit?

I may have mis-spoke about a synth being included depending on versions. I'll have to look around depending on the answers.
Posted By: Jeff26 Re: Slow response via Headphones - 05/19/11 02:58 AM
Hi,
It is a 64 bit, looked on both my cd's and there are no drivers.
I would think they should have installed. Not in the drop down though.
Jeff
Posted By: jford Re: Slow response via Headphones - 05/19/11 11:00 AM
When you installed PTPA [I presume you have version] 2011, there is a checkbox for installing the CoyoteWT. It's basically a wrapper for the Microsoft Wavetable sounds you get with your OS, which can let you use those sounds as a DXi synth. It's not great, but works fine for testing purposes. If it's not there, then you may not have installed it.

Or you have an older version of PTPA, which did not come with a DXi synth.

For better sounds, you might want to think about either the Coyote Forte ($40) or ordering the Cakewalk Music Creator 5 (also $40), which comes with the TTS-1 DXi synth. Both of those sound much better than the sounds you get with Windows natively.

I would run the install program again and just select the option to install the CoyoteWT and see if that helps.
Posted By: Jeff26 Re: Slow response via Headphones - 05/19/11 05:19 PM
Hi
I got coyote driver from support which installed into my program files .
When I try to add that as a plugin the OS will not allow acess to the file.
Might have to do a re install
Jeff
Posted By: jford Re: Slow response via Headphones - 05/19/11 05:27 PM
If the OS doesn't allow it, then your UAC is set too high. Or you might want to try right clicking on the installation file and selecting "Run As Administrator".
Posted By: rharv Re: Slow response via Headphones - 05/19/11 11:02 PM
I agree with jford.

Either run as administrator or check the User Account Control settings. This can sometimes prevent the OS from allowing some functions. (control panel-user accounts) Set it so the computer asks if you want to allow changes, not so it prevents all changes.
Posted By: Jeff26 Re: Slow response via Headphones - 05/20/11 01:15 AM
Well run as administrator did not help, and in User Accounts I am the administrator.
One other note when I go to the DirectX/VST Window, Options/ Register a new DX plugin, it is looking for a .ax file, I can change the dropdown to a .dll though.
Jeff
Posted By: jford Re: Slow response via Headphones - 05/20/11 01:46 AM
There's a difference between being the administrator in Vista and Windows 7 and the level of control you have as an administrator.

Personally, unless you are paranoid about internet viruses (you are running anti-virus, I presume), then I would just turn UAC off and give it a try to see if it works.

We're not denying that you are having a problem, we are just trying to get to the bottom of it by having you try the things we have experienced in the past.

We have all experienced latency and have overcome it, but you have to set it up right to make it work.

If turning UAC doesn't work, then we're going to probably have to start from the beginning with the basics to get you up and running.
Posted By: Jeff26 Re: Slow response via Headphones - 05/20/11 03:49 AM
Hi,
OK, turned off UC this time, and it did work. I now can select CoyoteWT for a default synth. Don't have my keyboard right here so I will be testing the delay issue tommorow. Hoepfully this will fix that.
Thanks
Jeff
Posted By: Jeff26 Re: Slow response via Headphones - 05/23/11 02:08 AM

Well I finally got back to this tonight, connected my keyboard to PT.
As I noted in the previous post, I was able to get the CoyoteWT plugin to work in PT.

I have the ASIO audio driver selected, go to the MIDI devices, I have Yamaha Portable G-1 as an input driver.

For output driver I have LoopB Internal MIDI. I have the Reroute MIDI Playback checkbox selected, and in the Dropdown I have CoyotoWT as the choice. I play my keybaord, see the GUI keys move but I have no audio output into my PC headphones.
So still not even to deal with the delay yet.
Jeff
Posted By: rharv Re: Slow response via Headphones - 05/24/11 02:14 AM
When you see the notes on the keyboard as you play, that means your MIDI Input driver is correct. So look closer at your MIDI Output device.. This is where the problem lies.

Try a different default output device (even though it shouldn't matter because you are rerouting all MIDI to DXi synth). We've seen this work before. Try changing the output device while leaving the reroute selected.

Also, is there a synth listed in the 'reroute all midi' checkbox for which default synth to actually use?
Posted By: Jeff26 Re: Slow response via Headphones - 05/24/11 02:24 AM
Only the CoyoteWT is available in the dropdown, the other choice is none. I have tried all 4 of the midi drivers with this, no sound when the Re-Route box is checked. Seems like the issue must be with the CoyoteWT.
Posted By: rharv Re: Slow response via Headphones - 05/24/11 02:34 AM
On your recent install media is a free 30 day trial of Coyote Forte. Try that as a test. You may actually like it and decide it's worth $40; I did. If not just remove it.

That way you can test whether the 'WT' part of the CoyoteWT is present on your system. This WaveTable part relies on a dll file having been installed with Windows, so I've seen situations where when it was missing and the WT version failed.
Posted By: Jeff26 Re: Slow response via Headphones - 05/24/11 12:59 PM
Nothing on cd, but it is on their web site. So I
Will download that. There seems to be multiple output
drivers now, ASIO, coyote, the midi list.
Posted By: Jeff26 Re: Slow response via Headphones - 05/24/11 10:31 PM

What do you make of this, I found it in the online help.

Using a DXi synth will simplify the problem, since the MIDI and audio tracks are routed to the same audio device in this case.

(Mainly this portion, I have Vista 64 bit)

Note: The VSC-DXi is not compatible with 64-bit operating system - an alternative is to use the ForteDXi or TTS-1 soft synth. If you aren't using a DXi synth, find out whether it's MIDI or Audio/RealTracks that you aren't hearing, or both.
Posted By: Jeff26 Re: Slow response via Headphones - 05/25/11 01:36 AM
I just installed a download from the web site, ForteDXi plugin, select that as the Default Dxi, same problem no sound. The no sound also happens with loading any files for playback.
Posted By: jford Re: Slow response via Headphones - 05/25/11 02:50 AM
Hi, Jeff -

It just doesn't make sense that you are getting no sound.

Are you able to post some screen capture images of your setup. It would help if you posted:

* the Audio Settings window
* click on MME in Audio Settings and then post the box that pops up
* click on ASIO in Audio Settings and then post the box that pops up
* in the ASIO box, click on ASIO driver's control panel, then click the wrench icon, and if any of the items in the list have a plus sign, expand the list and post that window

* go back to the main screen and click on the MIDI driver setup button and post that window

That should help us see what you see on your screen and can better troubleshoot this.
Posted By: Jeff26 Re: Slow response via Headphones - 05/25/11 11:07 PM
Hi John,
Could not get the screen shots to post into the forum so I emailed you them.
Thanks
Jeff
Posted By: Blake - PG Music Re: Slow response via Headphones - 05/26/11 12:08 AM
Hi Jeff26,

The problem that I have with the ASIO4ALL driver is that it always defaults to the wrong output device, and I often have to re-select the correct one. In the ASIO4ALL control panel, you might see more than one device listed in the "WDM" list. If so, the first one is probably highlighted. You need to try clicking on it to un-highlight it, then highlight another one in the list (try each one if you are not sure which is the right one).

It is important that you close PowerTracks after selecting a different output device. The ASIO driver will not respond to the change until you start up PowerTracks again.
Posted By: jford Re: Slow response via Headphones - 05/26/11 12:25 AM
Jeff sent me screenshots of his configuration, so I'm posting them (they're all in the Word document) here for others to take a look at as well. It seems to me that we should be able to get to the bottom of this.

Unfortunately, I've got to do some "real job" stuff this evening, so I probably won't get to it until later, but I was hoping that Bob Harvey could take a look at it.
Posted By: rharv Re: Slow response via Headphones - 05/26/11 02:22 AM
Well for one thing the ASIO audio drivers window is set to main out when the headphone out is available as a selection here ... first thing I saw. Worth trying.

Edit-
In audio prefs full duplex is not enabled so it mey not be playing if record is hit ...

Edit2
In Audio Drivers window, soundmapper is selected. This can sometimes be an issue, you may want to select the soundcard itself (conexant) but make this the last thing you try. Try something, Open PT and see if it helped, if not close PT, try something else, then open PT again. When changing drivers, as staff here mentioned above; it is best to restart the program after making changes, and checking to make sure the changes 'stuck'.
Posted By: jford Re: Slow response via Headphones - 05/26/11 11:10 AM
Jeff, is your computer a laptop or a desktop? What brand?
Posted By: Jeff26 Re: Slow response via Headphones - 05/26/11 11:50 AM
One other item I found was that if choose mme
rather than ASIO I do get audio with coyote, but is
delayed again.
I have a toshiba laptop about 2 years old, vista ultimate
for the OS. I had thought maybe the sound card but I can
get sound just very delayed.
At work now, will try these suggestions this evening
Thanks for all your time
Jeff
Posted By: jford Re: Slow response via Headphones - 05/26/11 12:03 PM
Okay, and maybe tonight we can go through it step by step until we hopefully get it working. Yes, the DXi synth will have latency with the keyboard when using MME. I'll think about it today and hopefully we can get this finally fixed tonight.
Posted By: rharv Re: Slow response via Headphones - 05/26/11 03:09 PM
One of the first things I would try is -
the ASIO audio drivers window is set to 'main out' when the 'headphone out' is available as a selection. You said you heard nothing in the headphones and this seems like a good possibility.
Posted By: jford Re: Slow response via Headphones - 05/26/11 03:47 PM
I know on my laptop, when using MME, I can just plugin my headphones and it over-rides the speakers; however, if I use ASIO, I have to use different audio-outs depending on whether I want speakers or headphones.

I would start at the basics and make sure to have a piece of paper and pencil handy to write down the settings.

Forget about MIDI to start with.

Set everything up for MME and just load a WAV file or an MP3 file into PTPA. Make sure you can hear the audio with both speakers and headphones. Then do the same for ASIO. You may have to play with the settings some, but there aren't that many.

If you do audio input (such as using a microphone or recording a guitar), set the input devices and make sure the input is coming through for recording while the underlying source is playing (that's where the full-duplex setting comes in). It doesn't have to be in tune or match, you just need to be able to capture it and hear it.

Once it works for MME, then try to get the same thing going for ASIO (headphones and speakers). Once that works, then we can switch to getting the MIDI to work.

Jeff, if you feel comfortable with it, then PM me or email me with a phone number and I'll try to see if I can talk you through it. I don't have Vista, but I have Windows 7, and the audio interface is basically the same between the two, so we should be able to figure it out.
Posted By: Jeff26 Re: Slow response via Headphones - 05/27/11 01:57 AM
Hi,
Did not get as much time to try this tonight as I wanted, heading out for Mem day tommorow, be back on Sunday.
Tried all the suggestions in the posts, still not working right.
For the drivers,
when I use MME, it works with every driver in that Audio drivers box. I change drivers in MIDI and it works with everyone except the LoopB. Actaully do not even know if the MIDI drivers effect MME. The default DX was check during all this too. With all the driver selections audio was delayed, latency.
Switching to ASIO, it to will work with all MIDI drivers except the LoopB, delayed audio. If I check the Re-route box, no audio.
All the above performs the same when playing mp3.
So, any time I do get audio through PC speakers or headphones it is always delayed.

What started this is that I would like to play a song, mp3, and then play along, easier to learn.
I am wondering if I can route the mp3, or seq to my keyboard headphones vs using the pc output as that
does not seem to work
Jeff
Posted By: Jeff26 Re: Slow response via Headphones - 05/27/11 01:14 PM
Well I am heading to Madison for a couple of days
and then I will get back to this.
Couple of thoughts, seems like things point
to ASIO . Maybe they have a different driver then what
I am using. Maybe I need to unistall and install pt.
No driver experimenting seems to work
I wonder if version 2011 is better
Posted By: jford Re: Slow response via Headphones - 05/27/11 04:11 PM
It could also be the Conexant audio card; read on the web lots of folks having problems with it and ASIO. Again, let me know when you get back. PM me a phone number and we can talk through it. It's sometimes hard to get to the bottom of things with forum communication. This has become a challenge; I think there is a solution and we just have to figure it out.
Posted By: Jeff26 Re: Slow response via Headphones - 06/02/11 01:49 PM
Hi
Got back to this for a bit last night working
with the ASIO drivers. Tried selecting headphones
and the driver port ASIO claims is headphones. No
difference. The ASIO drivers window randomly adds
or removes driver selections . There always is a (0,1)
choice, most times a (2, 3) choice and last night it
sporadicly added a (4,5) port selection. No surprise none
worked while they were available.
Vista claims my conexant drivers are up to date
Jeff
Posted By: Jeff26 Re: Slow response via Headphones - 06/06/11 01:44 AM
Hi,

I have some new syntoms here. In the ASIO drivers window I am now regularily getting selections for output ports (0, 1), (2, 3), and (4, 5). Previously the (0,1) would be there and rest of the port selections might or might not appear. So experimenting with these ports I have been able to get audio into my headphones with (4, 5)HD Audio Output 1 + HD Audio Output 2). The audio is not delayed.

Unfortunately it sounds terrible, very distorted and I have to turn my keyboard volume to max to hear it.

Ideas??

Thanks

Jeff
Posted By: rharv Re: Slow response via Headphones - 06/06/11 02:52 PM
Tried increasing buffers a little?

Is the bitrate in PT matching the bitrate the soundcard is running at?
Posted By: Jeff26 Re: Slow response via Headphones - 06/07/11 01:32 AM
Its workiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggggggggggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Downloaded a driver from Toshibas web site. That allowed me to get thr headphones selection actually to output sound. SOund was really bad, unchecked Allow IM effects recording. Hooked up the keyboard, choose Yamaha input driver, no delay sounds like it should.
Thanks to all of you for help on this issue, most likely you will be hearing from me again.
Jeff
Posted By: rharv Re: Slow response via Headphones - 06/07/11 03:33 AM
Mac quote -
"Drivers, drivers, drivers" ...

Glad you got it whooped.
Posted By: jford Re: Slow response via Headphones - 06/07/11 10:56 AM
Hi, Jeff -

I'm so glad you got it working. Make sure you write down what you did, so if you ever have to do it again (for example, if you have to restore your computer) you can get back to where you were.

Now go make some music.
© PG Music Forums