PG Music Home
Posted By: dvjduck Midi Medleys - 04/01/13 02:40 PM
I have 3 standard midi files that are compatible in terms of key,style and tempo. They are all about 3 + minute songs. I want to meld them together into a nice medley about 4 minutes total. If I could get them all into one .seq file I could edit them into a medley. What procedure might I use?
Thanks,
Deaton
Posted By: dvjduck Re: Midi Medleys - 04/02/13 02:17 PM
I seem to remember an "append" option in a former version
of PTPA (maybe not though since I've use several diffenent
DAW type programs). If so that would allow me to stitch midi
files together and edit them into a new composition.
Help Anyone?
DVJ
Posted By: Paj Re: Midi Medleys - 04/04/13 09:09 PM
You can always just copy what you need from one file, open another file and paste the clipboard into it.

Paj
8^)
Posted By: LynB Re: Midi Medleys - 04/06/13 08:58 AM
Try using File > Import. Move the cursor to the end of each loaded file and Import. Works for Audio files as well.
Posted By: dvjduck Re: Midi Medleys - 04/10/13 08:13 PM
I tried the copy and paste method. It does fairly well. I tried the import but it merged one song (file) into the one already there. However, I need to go back and make sure the curser is beyond the end of the existing song.
Thanks,
DVJ
Posted By: rharv Re: Midi Medleys - 04/10/13 10:35 PM
Open first MIDI file.
Go to point in file you want the next file to start.
Select File - Load Scrap
Select SEQ or MID file you want to import
Click OK
Posted By: LynB Re: Midi Medleys - 04/11/13 08:55 AM
Odd, I thought the import method used to work as described, but it looks as though I was mistaken. It appears that following the Import action you will need to Copy/Paste using the Bars Window to set everthing up the way you wish.
Posted By: Paj Re: Midi Medleys - 05/07/13 10:32 PM
I make a number of medleys each year and here are some tips:

(1)Set a marker with a meaningful name when you are about to append a file and do a Save or SaveAs right then and there. Coming up with a standard naming scheme for your work as you progress (songA . . . songB . . ., etc. or whatever) is not a waste of time. Markers and backups are your friends
(2) Set your "Undo" preference to the max
(3)Even if you're using the middle or end section of another file, load it from the beginning so that you get the instrument/sysex setup for the file. You can always change tempi through the tempo map/menu.

Paj
8^)
Posted By: dvjduck Re: Midi Medleys - 05/11/13 03:29 AM
OK Paj,
If I do that then do use the paste scrap method as suggested by rharv?
DVJ
Posted By: Paj Re: Midi Medleys - 05/23/13 09:38 PM
You certainly can---either way. If your instrumentation gets wierd after the paste, copy your clip from the beginning of the song and then delete what you don't need from the front end. At that point, if a regular cut again leaves the instrumentation wierd, do an "Undo" and use the Delete Bars feature with the MIDI info option turned on.

Paj
8^)
© PG Music Forums