PG Music Home
Posted By: Zan Cantwell Vocal Harmonies - 08/21/09 12:31 PM
The audio harmony feature in BIAB is really cool but no matter what I do they always sound metallic and sterile. I'm not a bad singer but I have a devil of a time adding my own harmonies because I want to keep straying back to the melody. Here's what I do now; I go ahead and create the harmonies with the Auto feature and save them as seperate wave files, load the melody track and the harmony tracks in RB,after each harmony track I insert a new audio track then I mute all but one of the harmony tracks and then arm the audio track I created for it, after a few practice runs singing along in unison with the Auto created harmony, hit record. Do this for each part then delete the Auto tracks and voila!, you have great natural harmonies. I've even created my own Gospel quartet this way. You don't need to have a great vocal range to do it either...try it and you'll be surprised how great it sounds
Posted By: Mac Re: Vocal Harmonies - 08/21/09 01:25 PM
That is exactly the method I recommend, Zant.

Use the auto harmony parts as a *guide* to sing real parts.

This can also be used to bring other singers into the project and get them singing the required part very quickly by letting them monitor and practice along with their separated harmony part.

Good practice.

--Mac
Posted By: best Audio Harmony - 08/24/09 01:06 PM
Harmony Audio is a must have for any musician, whether professional or amateur wishing to play and record Music with a top quality recording product. Music
Posted By: hightlow Re: Audio Harmony - 09/04/09 03:38 AM
I’ll be sure to keep everyone posted.
Thank you very much for the lesson. I knew that I can do this in better way.
[color=#FFFFFF] document internet management software property asset project [/color][color=#FFFFFF]find the right internet management software for you[/color][color=#FFFFFF] document internet management software property asset project [/color]
Posted By: Mike sings Re: Vocal Harmonies - 09/08/09 02:20 PM
Citaat:

That is exactly the method I recommend, Zant.

Use the auto harmony parts as a *guide* to sing real parts.

This can also be used to bring other singers into the project and get them singing the required part very quickly by letting them monitor and practice along with their separated harmony part.

Good practice.

--Mac

That is exactly one of the ways I study harmonies. It is nice to be able to single out a single voice and hear the progression. I also use my guitar or keyboard to find different possible harmonies. I hope one day to be able to hear a chordprogression and instantly "see" (or hear )what vocal parts I can use to create a certain "feel" to the harmonies.
Posted By: Brallan Re: Vocal Harmonies - 09/08/09 02:33 PM
Yes, Mike -- this is the method I often use for tracking also.

That's why I probably don't need to spend the money for the extra voices you get with the TC VoiceLive 2 -- I almost never need more than 1 or 2 extra voices at a time, often only one (unison or harmony).

Brad
Posted By: Mike sings Re: Vocal Harmonies - 09/08/09 03:07 PM
Sure thing.
But when you've got a bad case of G.A.S. and the thing is tax deductable ......
Posted By: RickeG Re: Vocal Harmonies - 11/18/09 08:29 PM
Hey Mike,

I began my music performance backing a four piece vocal band. What they often did back then was listen to a brass/woodwind section in a song. From there, one would take the trumpet, another the tenor and alto saxes, and another would take the trombone. Sounds funny, but music is music. Much of what attracts people to harmony is the same whether played on an instrument or sung through a voice.

In addition to learning pitch they also learned other techniques such as swells and other dynamics that were used in vocal bands like, Manhatten Transfer and the like.

Just a suggestion.
© PG Music Forums