PG Music Home
Posted By: Andy T Won't install from external hard drive - 06/09/10 12:11 PM
Hi, I have the Everything Pack that came packaged with an external hard drive and have been using that running directly off the external drive for many months. I updated my laptop recently and as I now have heaps of internal drive space I copied the entire 80 odd GB of program and real tracks etc to the internal drive.

When I ran set up to install it I get a message saying that 'set up file is not properly located on thr PG Music hard drive' and it doesn't go any further.

Despite this I've been operating it fine for a while but just now, I've tried to add some effects (haven't tried that since copying to internal drive) while mixing and I notice that there are none installed. I assume that is because setup wouldn't run.

Any suggestions? Cheers, Andy
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Won't install from external hard drive - 06/09/10 12:19 PM
Hi Andy,

When I installed version 2010 from the external hard drive, I simply plugged the drive in, read the read-me file on the USB drive and followed the instructions. I didn't need to copy everything across from the external drive. The process that copied files across was one of the installation options. It might be worth having a look at doing it that way.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: jford Re: Won't install from external hard drive - 06/09/10 04:35 PM
The problem with just copying everything from the external drive to your internal and then trying to run the installation program from the internal drive, is that the installation file wants to be in the root folder, just like it is on the external. Try running setup from the external drive and install to where you copied to on the internal drive. That will give you all the setup configuration you need. Any new files would just overwrite what's already there with the same thing. Keep your external drive handy as a backup in case anything goes wrong with your computer.
Posted By: Andy T Re: Won't install from external hard drive - 06/10/10 09:56 AM
Thank you both. Of course, it won't install the way I copied it to the hard drive. All I did was drag and drop the entire contents to the internal drive then ran set-up from the internal drive. I should have followed the instructions and loaded it onto the hard drive through the set-up option.

Set up is running as I type and the files are being copied over what I originally copied. I expect that it will work once done. Thanks again (when all else fails, read the instructions).
© PG Music Forums