PG Music Home
Posted By: jazzerjbird Low volume of burned CD - 02/13/15 12:23 AM
When I burn a CD with rendered WAV (merged dxi and audio tracks) I find the play back volume is way low compared to commercial CDs. Any recommendation to fix this problems? Thanks everyone.
Posted By: sslechta Re: Low volume of burned CD - 02/13/15 02:31 AM
I'm confused Jazzerbird. You posted about volume levels back in December on the following post. Did you follow some of those suggestions?

Previous Post
Posted By: jazzerjbird Re: Low volume of burned CD - 02/13/15 05:09 PM
Yes I learned how to boost the volume by increasing peak limit on output insert#1, but my burned CD plays in lower volume than commercial CDs...
Posted By: jford Re: Low volume of burned CD - 02/13/15 05:59 PM
The problem isn't just peak limit, but the fact that most CDs today are highly compressed. Peak limit just makes sure that the loudest parts of your music don't cross the 0dB boundary, which results in digital thwacking (as opposed to the oversaturation sound you used to get with records and tapes). Compression means the net result is you get high relative volume, but no dynamic range. That's why commercial CDs sound louder. So that's the trade-off. You can compress your music so it seems to be as loud as commercial CDs, or you can keep your dynamic range so soft is soft and loud is loud. I generally prefer the latter and just hit the volume knob on my stereo if I want it louder.

By the way, that's also why TV commercials also seemed so much louder than the TV shows - the audio is compressed, which comes across as louder. The TV show was not, which comes across as softer.
Posted By: musiclover Re: Low volume of burned CD - 02/13/15 06:36 PM
Originally Posted By: jford
The problem isn't just peak limit, but the fact that most CDs today are highly compressed. Peak limit just makes sure that the loudest parts of your music don't cross the 0dB boundary, which results in digital thwacking (as opposed to the oversaturation sound you used to get with records and tapes). Compression means the net result is you get high relative volume, but no dynamic range. That's why commercial CDs sound louder. So that's the trade-off. You can compress your music so it seems to be as loud as commercial CDs, or you can keep your dynamic range so soft is soft and loud is loud. I generally prefer the latter and just hit the volume knob on my stereo if I want it louder.

By the way, that's also why TV commercials also seemed so much louder than the TV shows - the audio is compressed, which comes across as louder. The TV show was not, which comes across as softer.

Maybe I am wrong but I understood that compression simply reduced the amplitude above a certain threshold, but using something like a loudness maxamizer or auto gain along with the compression can then bring up the perceived loudness level, getting rid of the peaks or bringing up the average level of the audio instead.

I thought that compression on its own doesn't make any thing seem louder, in fact could even make it seem quieter.

Got these ideas from the introduction to music production on coursera, but there again maybe I took it up all wrong.

Musiclover
Posted By: rharv Re: Low volume of burned CD - 02/13/15 10:00 PM
You have the math concept right.
Many compressors bring the higher volumes down. However, the last adjustment inside a compressor (usually labeled Output) can be used to adjust the overall output that comes out of it back up .. so everything that went through it can be adjusted to be louder without clipping. Meaning first you lower the peaks, then you can bring everything back up, resulting in louder overall sound.

Most Compressors do this.
Good ones do it well.

Mastering FX Suites (which also include peak limit/loudness maximizers and other tricks of the trade) are really what you need to make it work. Try the free trial of Ozone in the Output Insert of #1. But don't get mad at me when you realize you need to buy it. I'm just the messenger.

It IS possible to use PGPeakLimit to vastly improve the volume of the Output in the final wave, but (being free) it it is not comparable.

If looking for other possible free options, T-Sledge may work .. but again not really comparable to something like Ozone.
Posted By: jazzerjbird Re: Low volume of burned CD - 02/14/15 09:59 PM
Thanks for your 'lecture' on compression, which I'll study hard to understand and use...
Posted By: jazzerjbird Re: Low volume of burned CD - 02/14/15 10:03 PM
Thanks again rharv for tip.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Low volume of burned CD - 02/15/15 05:08 PM
Exactly...

The wave I export from my DAW is close to being finished but I drop it into an editor and use a process called normalize to get a few extra db out of it but stop short of going 100%.

You mention being as loud as commercial CD's. Most of those are burned to Red Book specs. You might want to do some research on that.

However, if you take rharv's advice and get a copy of Ozone... that will get you there without the "requirement" of learning about Red Book specs. Be advised... if you get the demo version and run it... you WILL spend the money to buy the unlock key. So be prepared for that eventuality.

I use it on my DAW as part of my "mastering" process to get the file ready to export and use. It's at THIS point that I drop it into my wave editor and run the normalize function to get a few more db without clipping. Some times it make a fairly noticeable difference in levels and sometimes it's actually really close to being ready to go.

Also be aware that abuse of Ozone can ruin a song file quickly, easier in fact, than the improvements and tweeks. In other words.... don't crank the knobs to full and call it done.
Posted By: jazzerjbird Re: Low volume of burned CD - 02/15/15 11:40 PM
Thanks for the tips. I did some research on Ozone, it'll cost about $299 and I'll have to study it a lot as I am new into mastering. My goal is to have my CD sound as loud as any commercial CDs out there, because my friends complain that my CDs play back too low...
I'll also do some study on Red Book Specs which I never heard of yet.

I am happy to realize that there are many nice folks out there helping me in BB, RD and PT...Thanks again.
Posted By: Jeff S Re: Low volume of burned CD - 02/16/15 05:11 PM
You can also look at the T-racks suite from IK Multimedia. They run sales all the time. I have both T-racks and Ozone. I prefer Ozone but T-racks has a nice RMS meter that will measure the perceived volume. It's also a great way of seeing how compressors and limiters effect the volume along with letting you see the frequency spectrum and stereo spread of your mix. I have found it to be very useful in identifying problem low frequencies.

You don't need both. Each has a set of mastering plug in chains that will do the job you need. T-racks also uses some emulated vintage compressors which can give some nice coloration to your mix.
Posted By: rharv Re: Low volume of burned CD - 02/16/15 10:02 PM
$299 ??
Where did you find that deal? I remember more like $499 .. and worth it.
I might want a second license if $299 ..
© PG Music Forums