PG Music Home
Posted By: caplive Midi monitoring - 08/08/17 05:59 PM
Hi Everyone, Long time Powertracks user, new to Band in a box and Real band. After working on a piece in BIAB I saved it and opened it in Real band. I wanted to add a midi bass track. I hooked up my Alesis VI49 midi controller / keyboard. The driver promptly loaded and I checked it in the midi devices in RB. Also using a Focusrite Scarlett sound module.
When I play the Alesis keyboard the keys on the real band keyboard light up (on the bottom of the screen), but I can not hear it.
As a test, I hit RECORD and played (for 30 Secs) (without hearing what I was playing). Then hit rewind then play and the bass was there. Why can't I monitor it while recording?
Posted By: rharv Re: Midi monitoring - 08/08/17 07:24 PM
The Scarlett is an 'interface'. In my world a sound module generates sound like a synth does from MIDI .. the Scarlett does not.

Assuming you are not using a hardware synth for the sound:
Need to select a default MIDI synth for the MIDI port you are using.
That synth needs to be able to play out through your monitoring system.

Try setting the default MIDI synth to something like something like Coyote just to test.
The other possibility is you did not select a patch for whatever the MIDI channel is that you are sending. Yet the Track has a patch assigned.
You can't go by the Patch assignment on a Track; sometimes that gets sent on Playback, not record ..
Image below show MIDI comes in through Delta 1010 In

Midi goes out through MS Wavetable syneh .. but since I have checked the box to reroute all MIDI to a VSTi that's where I'd hear the sound from.
I happen to have an obscure VSTi synth selected in the screen shot; select Coyote here.

Second shot shows how you can use Ports to assign Tracks to different synths.
Any VSTi Port can a synth assigned to it and then you route the track(s) to that synth if different than the default. The bottom VSTi Port will be your default synth, and it will show this. You get the option get 16 channels on 16 possible different VSTi synths this way. Plus any hardware ones you may have.

You only want the Alesis as the Input Port on this test, not the Output (if that is an option).
This way the synth gets generated along with BiaB sounds.

Attached picture RBMIDIDefault.jpg
Attached picture RBPorts.jpg
Posted By: caplive Re: Midi monitoring - 08/08/17 11:33 PM
Thanks for the help rharv
Ok, I removed the Alesis from the output and selected Coyote on the port. No sound thru the phones. However, if I select the Wavetable synth I hear it in the phones (with a huge delay) but it will not record.
Posted By: rharv Re: Midi monitoring - 08/09/17 08:04 PM
OK, sounds like you understand how MIDI In and MIDI Out are routed.
Yes, GS Wavetable synth will have a huge delay. It will default to 2 seconds (2000mS) usually.
This can be adjusted in the Audio Output Buffer setting in the Prefs Audio settings tab. It is not the best solution though. This affects other things and system stability (possibly).

The Coyote should work the same (using the same sounds) and have a bit less delay .. and you should be able to at least hear it. <grin>

What selections do you have available in the Default Synth drop down?
Is Coyote WT available?
Yet when you select it, you can't hear it?
Posted By: caplive Re: Midi monitoring - 08/09/17 11:03 PM
Hi, I have Coyote, Cakewalk tts, Groove player, Sample Tank 2 and MT Power drum kit.
I have never got the Groove player, Sample Tank 2 to work at all.
I use Coyote 90% With Cakewalk tts MT drums on selected tracks.

No, I can't hear it during recording but the notes show up on the track and I can hear it on playback.
Posted By: jford Re: Midi monitoring - 08/10/17 11:27 AM
Which version of RealBand are you using? If 2017, have you loaded the most recent patch update?
Posted By: caplive Re: Midi monitoring - 08/10/17 03:06 PM
Hi, Its 2017 (2 weeks old) How do I know if I have the most recent patch update.
Posted By: jford Re: Midi monitoring - 08/10/17 04:17 PM
You can go to the help menu and select either check for updates. Or you can use "Help, About" to see which build is currently installed, then check out the RealBand support page to see if there is a newer build.
Posted By: rharv Re: Midi monitoring - 08/10/17 08:36 PM
Wish I'd seen this earlier .. I was in Troy today.
Just got home .. <grin>
I was at 15 and Crooks, usually go there on Thursdays.

Checking in with a digital advertising agency in Troy that is a division of our company.
They provide programming and recording work for me regularly.
© PG Music Forums