PG Music Home
I just took delivery on my terabyte version of BB/RB and I love the concept of this. I think it's gonna be great once some much-needed features are provided.

That being said, there's a gaping hole in need of filling quickly! I need a distorted guitar soloist that actually follows chord changes! Seems all of them are mostly rock riff types of soloists. I have a set of chord changes in the key of E in a bridge section (using a rock style background) like - B E/G# A2 B C#m B A2

I need the soloist to play major types of runs but using a nice silky, screaming, soaring guitar sound. Most of the solos I've generated start right out on a nasty b7 note based on the key (big ugly D natural over the B major chord) and it's all blues scale stuff.

How about something like a Larry Carlton or any fusion guitar style soloist that actually plays note that follow the chord changes? I tried every rock type soloist and not one of them gets through the whole solo section without hitting a real clunker.

I also tried to fool BB into thinking the song was in another key (like C# would seem to work if the soloist plays a pentatonic type blues scale over the key area) but it still didn't produce a convincing solo.

PLEASE HELP!
Larry Carlton in a box would be really cool. Add in some Steve Lukather, Trevor Rabin (with his always cool ascending solos), Some Robert Fripp and Adrian Belew, a dash of Gilmour and my favorite rock soloists would be in there.

You might be stretching the intended use of Real Band by asking it to ape Larry Carlton with his inventive solo voicings. But hey, why not ask?

-Scott
I might be wrong, but I think asking something like Real Tracks to immulate some of the best innovative soloist in the music world is asking a bit much of this technology. I mean this was designed to help us make nice BACKING Tracks! While solist is a cool idea, it has it's limitations. Sure some basic solos are there, but complicated custom solos? Hhhmmm! Seems to me that there is only so much they can put inside the short audio files that make up these tracks.

I guess we will see how far PG can take this technology, but Like RS said you can ask?
That was a good idea to try alternate chords to manipulate the solo
Key is using the right chords

This type of innovative thinking is your best bet at finding success. The tracks are done in certain styles, and apparently the style you are after isn't available ... yet.
They do add them, so I suggest adding it in the wishlist forum

Try generating mutiple versions and cut/paste the decent sections into one?
Use a different soloist and run it thru guitar FX plugins for the distortion (if another fits better)?

Since when did the D natural become the flat 7 of the key of B?
Quote:

I might be wrong, but I think asking something like Real Tracks to immulate some of the best innovative soloist in the music world is asking a bit much of this technology. I mean this was designed to help us make nice BACKING Tracks! While solist is a cool idea, it has it's limitations. Sure some basic solos are there, but complicated custom solos? Hhhmmm! Seems to me that there is only so much they can put inside the short audio files that make up these tracks.

I guess we will see how far PG can take this technology, but Like RS said you can ask?

I was really only mentioning the most obvious guitarist I could think of who plays melodic lines when he solos rather than just rock riffs. The idea is to have a soloist that plays melodic lines based on the chord changes much like the other soloists do rather than just ripping off a bunch of riffs most of which only will work with blues changes or songs in a minor or dominant 7 type key.

I haven't had a chance to get back to it but was thinking about trying to build a separate file in the key of C# and turn the soloist loose on about 32 bars and then editing together the pieces that fit in my editing software. Then just bringing in the audio to the song I'm trying to use it in. I only need 8 bars.
You can do the edits right inside Realband if you want - use the audio edit windows and you can cut sections from any track and assemble to one new track.
Audio edit window accessed via the waveform icon at top.
Opens for the selected track.

I would run 32 bars a few times using different (strategically related) chords to get a variety of choices on separate tracks, then assemble to one track and erase the originals to save space
Has worked on a couple projects, but takes a little time.
Actually I'd call a guitar player usually ... but this has worked

(don't let my icon fool ya - that IS me but guiar is not my forte; I'm usually hiding behind keyboards or back in the horn section)
Thanks for the info, rharv. I'll give that a shot.
I'd try changing the chords up a third or a fifth as my first two guesses so the scales stay related.

B chord up a fifth yields an F# blues scale in the long run, which may get some usable licks.
Up a third makes it a D# blues scale which may also yield some interesting licks...
Yet another trick is to tune the solo to the scale using OBTune or such, forcing any D natural to D sharp.
Lots of creative ways these days.Just a couple ideas to experiment with.

Most important part is to have fun playing with it.
Well It is being done for trumpet, trombone, sax. I agree. I have also been looking for a distorted guitar sound that follows the chords. Put that on my wish list also.

Re F
This would be the holy grail of RT's. It's certainly possible, look what they did with the Dire tracks. While we're talking, how about some Jimmy Smith or Joey D jazz organ solo's? Then, try some Gonzalvo Rubalcaba style smokin latin piano. By the time we get finished wishing for all the soloists, it's time for another TB hard drive just for the soloist tracks...

Bob
© PG Music Forums