PG Music Home
Hey folks,

Just thinking of getting an inexpensive little 13" Mac laptop for the main purpose of being able to play with BIAB away from my usual desktop computer in the studio.

Just wondering if anyone can confirm that the .SGU and .MGU song files saved while running BIAB on Catalina on the laptop would open up again back in Sierra on my desktop (3 operating systems earlier).

I suspect that they would be identical files and that BIAB saves the files so that they are compatible regardless of the operating system... but a quick confirmation of this would be appreciated.

Also, on a 13" screen, will I still be able to use my favorite full screen traditional view of BIAB, but just a miniaturized version of it? The computer will have screen resolution options to make that possible, right?

It would definitely be nice to be able to take the laptop and my BIAB hard drive to different rooms and locations when sitting in the studio is less desirable.

Thanks in advance,

Zedd
You can open any SGU/MGU file in different versions of Band-in-a-Box and on different computers. The OS only affects what version of Band-in-a-Box can be installed and not how the song project files are saved. The only thing to watch out for is that both versions have the same RealTracks installed that the particular song is using. For example if you make a song using an UltraPAK, then that song might be using RealTracks that a Pro PAK does not have.

The keyboard shortcut "Control + T" toggles between the classic layout and the modern layout of Band-in-a-Box. This can be done whether you are using a 13" inch screen or something else. You can also click/drag the edges of the window to re-size it, or switch to the DAW Plugin Mode to make the Band-in-a-Box window smaller.
Originally Posted By: Chantelle - PG Music
The only thing to watch out for is that both versions have the same RealTracks installed that the particular song is using. For example if you make a song using an UltraPAK, then that song might be using RealTracks that a Pro PAK does not have.

I will be using the same BIAB hard drive on both computers, so the content will be the same and the song project files will be shared. Glad to know that won't be a problem. I didn't really think it would be.

Originally Posted By: Chantelle - PG Music
The keyboard shortcut "Control + T" toggles between the classic layout and the modern layout of Band-in-a-Box. This can be done whether you are using a 13" inch screen or something else.

I do much prefer the classic layout, so hopefully it will still be workable at that size. Not exactly sure how the GUI will adapt itself or if the laptop screen resolution will just make everything smaller.

I did pull the trigger on the 13" laptop and it does have a retinal display so even at a smaller size, the classic layout should be workable, even if everything is 35% smaller. If not, maybe I'll try getting used to the modern layout... but I hope the classic layout will be okay. I'll know in a few days!

Thanks!
You don't say what laptop you are buying.

If Apple Silicon (M1, M2 etc.) BIAB 2022 must be run over Rosetta 2.
Originally Posted By: Mike Halloran
You don't say what laptop you are buying.

If Apple Silicon (M1, M2 etc.) BIAB 2022 must be run over Rosetta 2.

I got a great deal from OWC on a second-hand 2013 laptop with a retinal display. It is only 13" and will have limited use, but it gives me the option to do certain tasks quite effectively in other rooms, or away from home.

In answer to my own questions, BIAB does miniaturize a little but it is not too bad with the higher retinal resolution and is a comfortable size for the 13" monitor and the GUI also resizes itself and fewer of the icons appear in the classic GUI view... but the ultimate result is that the GUI remains at a good working size and is functional.

The saved song files are completely interchangeable with my main computer, as expected. I'm a happy fellar who now has a lot more options when I need to escape my studio.
© PG Music Forums