PG Music Home
Hello, I'm about to buy a new Macbook Pro when they come out, I've been a PC user, and I'm trying to decide how I'll install BIAB. I currently have BIAB 11.5 for Windows. It's never run well on my Asus ultrabook.(frequent crases despite their tech help) On my new mac, I'd rather not fuss with Paralells or Bootcamp if possible... and with the expense of the new computer, I'd rather not spend much crossgrading or upgrading.

What's the best way to do this, anyone?

I think the Mac version of BIAB might suit me fine, since I mostly am using it to generate my song structure/arrangement, then export it into Ableton Live. So I don't need the recording feature of BIAB, or I guess Realband for that matter. So would I be best off just getting the Mac version? Would they... let me cross-grade to Mac 2011 to save some dough? (for now, I could upgrade later)

Any suggestions appreciated.
Moose,

"Best way" is going to be a personal decision. The BIAB for Mac route (which I opted for) will give you a program that's not quite as rich-featured, also no Real Band. Unfortunately, the cross grade pricing has traditionally been about like buying the program all over again. You can easily take projects to GarageBand or other DAW's. Probably the biggest plus - you don't have to mess with Windoze.

If you go the BIAB for Windows on a Mac route, you will have to buy Windows plus Parallels or else you'll have to do Bootcamp (still have to buy Windows). Either of these will entail partitioning your hard drive. This way you'd still have Real Band, though. BIAB for Windows always gets updated months before the Mac version does.

All in all, I think it's a compromise either way you go. You probably won't find a very big sampling who have tried it both ways (anybody?). PG Music has had a thirty day money back policy (minus shipping cost), which could let you try out the Mac version for little cost if you'd like.

Bruce
Thanks Bruce!

Yeah I've used BIAB for years and never bothered with Real Band... BIAB does most of what I need,(I think) generating rough arrangements, the midi or audio seems to export very nicely into Ableton, the DAW I'm now learning. So I'm hoping I can go the BIAB for Mac route, and still have that capacity.
© PG Music Forums