PG Music Home
Posted By: Bass Thumper List of Music Software - 01/21/24 04:47 PM
I find this list eye-opening and quite interesting.
But I would have thought that BiaB would be categorized in the Music Composing Software bucket, but it isn't.

Beyond the DAWs listed, I'd be interested to hear if anyone has found any of these programs useful in their work.

List of music software
Posted By: Gordon Scott Re: List of Music Software - 01/21/24 06:03 PM
I suspect a page like "list of music software" will be permanently out of date as there's so much out there. For example, in the very first category I have two CD-rippers that are not listed. The "Audio Plug-ins" category seems very sparse indeed. I have hundreds of them and I'm certain many others have hundreds I don't.

Wikipedia is user-administered and you can set up your own account, log-in and make the changes you think are appropriate. The Wiki Foundation and volunteers examine such changes and try to correct, clarify, expand. whatever as appropriate. You could add BIAB in appropriate categories yourself, if you wish.
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: List of Music Software - 01/21/24 06:16 PM
Originally Posted by Gordon Scott
I suspect a page like "list of music software" will be permanently out of date as there's so much out there.
Yep, you're absolutely right. Software development is accelerating faster than ever and now AI can write code.
You could add BIAB in appropriate categories yourself, if you wish.
Far from me to edit where BiaB should be placed, I'll leave that to PGMusic who might see some marketing value in it's location.
What was eye-opening for me is the overlap between music software and engineering software. For example, over my career, I used SPICE/PSPICE to model and analyze various circuit representations, yet it's on a music software list.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: List of Music Software - 01/21/24 09:01 PM
Nothing for us but Logic Pro.

J&B
Posted By: MarioD Re: List of Music Software - 01/21/24 09:49 PM
PGM is listed under the VST category.
Other that Studio One Pro (SOP) I use Audacity on every song. I mix down in SOP then go straight to Audacity for normalizing and possibly eliminating drum intros and endings.
I have use Soundfont software in the past and still do on rare occasions.
Posted By: Gordon Scott Re: List of Music Software - 01/21/24 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by Bass Thumper
What was eye-opening for me is the overlap between music software and engineering software. For example, over my career, I used SPICE/PSPICE to model and analyze various circuit representations, yet it's on a music software list.
I hadn't noticed that (there are actually three different Spice simulators listed). If they make the list as wide as that, probably any software could be included ... Excel under music cataloguing perhaps....

According to my ex-employer one just puts one's electronics wants into Spice and an almost complete design comes out of the other end. All I had to do then was the layout. Actually I think he was lying then to cover his back from having previously lied to someone else, trying to discredit me.
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: List of Music Software - 01/22/24 01:02 AM
Originally Posted by Gordon Scott
I hadn't noticed that (there are actually three different Spice simulators listed). If they make the list as wide as that, probably any software could be included ... Excel under music cataloguing perhaps....
We also had OrCad, Saber and a half dozen other simulation environments in our toolboxes.
Further back in time we had a rigid-body dynamics simulation (running on a Mainframe) of the entire Space Shuttle including the robot arm built by the Canadiens.

You mention Excel. I wonder how Notes Norton made out in using Excel for his playlists on gigs.
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=777836
© PG Music Forums